Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

DWB

Practice differences under Woody

I remember a quote from RMK that said: "Everybody wants to win. But not everybody wants to prepare to win". Gotta believe Woody is trying to instill that mindset in the team.

The clip showing him saying how everything they do needs to be done with "a sense of urgency" is a step in that direction of preparing to win.

Phin was discussing Fife with Jim Coyle at media day today, and stated that Dane is really drilling down into the details of how to play defense. Much more so than Rob had previously experienced. 

Hope the guys are really taking this stuff to heart. We'll see come Nov-Dec when it gets a little tougher.

On 10/8/2021 at 10:38 PM, Stuhoo said:

Rob is gonna be a defensive beast.

He was already a damn fine defender.

That he is. I look for him to be a solid player this year. Reminds me of a little bit slower Chris Reynolds that can shoot.

TJD was talking to Coyle and stated that there is much more emphasis on running and stamina as opposed to just strength. He also stated that the first 30 minutes of practice is essentially all running for conditioning.

Personally I'm glad to hear this, as I thought in prior years we lacked the stamina to play more than a 4-5 minutes without getting winded. Far too many guys walking, or slowly jogging up the court.

Didn't see any of that in the Bahamas.

7 minutes ago, DWB said:

TJD was talking to Coyle and stated that there is much more emphasis on running and stamina as opposed to just strength. He also stated that the first 30 minutes of practice is essentially all running for conditioning.

Personally I'm glad to hear this, as I thought in prior years we lacked the stamina to play more than a 4-5 minutes without getting winded. Far too many guys walking, or slowly jogging up the court.

Didn't see any of that in the Bahamas.

It's nice to have a coach that understands what the team has lacked over the last four disastrous years

9 hours ago, The Baby Bull said:

That he is. I look for him to be a solid player this year. Reminds me of a little bit slower Chris Reynolds that can shoot.

Phinisee can’t shoot, though. Through 86 games he has shooting splits of 36/29.8/67.5. 

Barring a miraculous offensive improvement, I’m going to be extremely disappointed if Rob Phinisee is playing significant minutes for us this season. He was a huge reason for our offensive struggles last year. Far too often we were playing 4 on 5 on offense with him out there. He would walk the ball up the floor despite Archie constantly yelling at him to go faster. 

We, at least in theory, made too many guard upgrades for him to keep getting a lot of time. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Phinisee can’t shoot, though. Through 86 games he has shooting splits of 36/29.8/67.5. 

Barring a miraculous offensive improvement, I’m going to be extremely disappointed if Rob Phinisee is playing significant minutes for us this season. He was a huge reason for our offensive struggles last year. Far too often we were playing 4 on 5 on offense with him out there. He would walk the ball up the floor despite Archie constantly yelling at him to go faster. 

We, at least in theory, made too many guard upgrades for him to keep getting a lot of time. 

I'm sure our talented and knowledgeable staff can make a pretty good observation, on who gives us the best chance at winning games. 

39 minutes ago, jk34 said:

I'm sure our talented and knowledgeable staff can make a pretty good observation, on who gives us the best chance at winning games. 

I’m sure they will try their best to do so. Phinisee was really bad last year. He shot 33% from the field and 23.7% from 3 in conference play. He didn’t even score in 15% of our conference games. If he gives us the best chance this year then either he drastically improved offensively, or our talent level isn’t where we think it’s going to be. 

Personally, I think we're going to see a completely different team this year, including Rob, Christian, Anthony and others. 

If you've watched any of the interviews the attitude is light years different than the last few years. If the attitude is good, chances are we will play a lot harder (and hopefully smarter).

Go Hoosiers!

Phinisee was always a good defender, it’s his offense that has been slow and inaccurate. Unless he becomes such a lockdown defender that makes him defensive player of the year, he cannot get a lot of minutes for us.

Xavier and Tamar will eat up all the new minutes

Good job by Coyle--an interview with Charlie Miller and especially Fisch. Fisch describes what the practices are like that he's seen under Woody.
If this doesn't get you excited about the upcoming season, I don't know what will. Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

On 10/10/2021 at 8:30 AM, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Phin absolutely can shoot. He just hasn’t shown it consistently yet. That has a lot to do with confidence, being put in the right position on the court and late in game, stamina. No one can shoot under Archie’s offense. I’ll hold off judgment until I see how our guys mesh under this new system 

How do I cancel my premium subscription??? I originally canceled in June and I have launched 2-3 support requests for this premium account to be canceled but I’m still getting charged. This has been happening since May. I know $12 isn’t a lot, but it’s getting pretty annoying that no one will help me and I cannot find a way to change my billing information.