Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - PF JaQualon "JQ" Roberts to Vanderbilt

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Iowa offered.

Another one where a strong P5 offer somewhere else is great news!

Obviously, we will be one of the finalists for JQ and it's great to see that he will be an in-demand recruit.

I would think the IU connection will scare off some from even offering or putting in time, but Iowa apparently thinks he's worth it.

37 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Another one where a strong P5 offer somewhere else is great news!

Obviously, we will be one of the finalists for JQ and it's great to see that he will be an in-demand recruit.

I would think the IU connection will scare off some from even offering or putting in time, but Iowa apparently thinks he's worth it.

From what I've heard his IU offer is not a committable offer yet. Don't know that for sure. Waiting to see what some other guys do first. 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

From what I've heard his IU offer is not a committable offer yet. Don't know that for sure. Waiting to see what some other guys do first. 

Not a fan of the football approach of committable vs not committable offers at all. Why not just slow play him on the offer like they did Leal?

4 minutes ago, goonaha said:

Not a fan of the football approach of committable vs not committable offers at all. Why not just slow play him on the offer like they did Leal?

I understand what you are saying, but the "half way" offer means a little than nothing at all. (This isn't always the case. Some kids want to know they are wanted now.)

IU could slow play Leal because it was known that he'd commit with an other. It isn't the same situation with JQ. 

Just now, ebridges24 said:

What does JQ lack that would cause his offer to be non-committable?

I'm guessing there are some higher-ranked recruits that IU thinks they have a great shot with and are waiting for them to decide first. JQ loves IU and IU really likes him. As I said I heard this, but don't know it for sure, maybe he can commit tomorrow if he wants

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm guessing there are some higher-ranked recruits that IU thinks they have a great shot with and are waiting for them to decide first. JQ loves IU and IU really likes him. As I said I heard this, but don't know it for sure, maybe he can commit tomorrow if he wants

Thank you for the response. I should have said what does his game lack?

At the Bedford North Lawrence Danny Bush Classic, Bloomington North beat Whiteland 60-45 and will play Bedford NL tonight at 7:30.  Roberts with 27 pts. on 12-17 FG; 0-1 on 3s; 3-4 FT; 8 reb; 2 asst; 4 stls; 1 blk; 2 TO.  He had 13 of his 27 in the 2nd Q.  Most of his point were all scored in the paint.  The game was on YouTube and tonight's game is also slated to be streamed on the Bedford NL YouTube site.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bedford+north+lawrence+basketball

Not the kind of game you like to have in front of a head coach.  Bloom. No. beaten by Bedford North Lawrence 48-40.  Roberts with 10 pts. on 3-12 FG.  He missed all 5 of his 2-point attempts and was 3-7 on 3s; 1-6 FT; 6 reb; 0 asst; 2 stl; 1 blk; 1 TO.  Bedford dictated the pace of the game and Roberts and North never got into an offensive flow.

With about 3:30 left in the game, Roberts made a leap out of bounds to try to save the ball and either badly cramped or possibly pulled a hamstring.  He left the game and did not return.  North was trailing by 9 at that point.  North only went 6 deep and Roberts played all 32 minutes of the earlier game and had not subbed out in the Bedford game.

No mention of why, but Nick Klaiber did not play in either game today for North.  To date, he's averaging 18 ppg; 5 rpg and 4 apg and North really needed him in this game.