Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - PG/SG Lexus Bargesser to IU

Our full court press was a resounding success.

Lexus Bargesser @LexusBargesser

FINALLY can make this post Y’all are looking at your new Indiana Hoosier   A huge thank you to the coaches, blessed to have found my fit:)

We first offered Lexus Bargesser in August '20.

5'8" PG/SG attends Grass Lake HS in Grass Lake, MI.  (roughly 20 miles west of Ann Arbor).  She's a 4-star and #56  in ESPN's rankings.

https://www.ncsasports.org/womens-basketball-recruiting/michigan/grass-lake/grass-lake-high-school/lexus-bargesser

https://secondhalf.mhsaa.com/topics/girls-basketball/senior-standout-aiming-add-grass-lake-family-fame

Hudl

Bargesser and Meister Sign With Indiana

Indiana women's basketball has announced the signing of two for the class of 2026 in Lexus Bargesser (Grass Lake, Mich.) and Lilly Meister (Rochester, Minn.).

"This class is really important to us as we continue to build our program," Indiana head coach Teri Moren said. "These two young ladies are great basketball players and great people. As we went through the recruiting process, it was important that we found the right fits for us. Lexus and Lilly fit our style of play and our culture of hard work. They are going to buy into doing the extra to become better every single day."

The class has been rated as the No. 22 overall class by Collegiate Girls Basketball Report.

Lexus Bargesser
A 5-9 guard from Grass Lake, Michigan, Bargesser led Grass Lake High School to a 2021 Michigan High School Athletic Association Division 3 state championship while averaging 23.6 points, 8.1 rebounds, 3.8 assists, 3.8 steals and shot 55 percent from the floor. During her time at Grass Lake, she has also helped the program to a district championship and regional championship. She has been named an All-State honoree, All-Conference selection, Jackson Area Dream Team and Best of the Best. Bargesser, who plays AAU with Michigan Premier and Michigan Crossover, is rated as the No. 48 by Collegiate Girls Basketball Report, No. 53 by All Star Girls Report and No. 67 overall by ESPN.

Moren on Bargesser
"We are thrilled that Lexus is a Hoosier. When we started recruiting for our Class of 2022, we knew we need a point. We feel that we got the best fit for us in the entire country. Lexus plays with a pace and an IQ that will help us continue to be successful. She is a competitive player with elite athleticism that can do a little bit of everything."

Lilly Meister
Meister, a native of Rochester, Minn., averaged 22 points and 11 rebounds last year at John Marshall High School. Scoring over 1,000 points in her career, she is a three-time all-conference and all-area first team selection. As a junior, Meister was named a 2021 All-State honorable mention. During her freshman season, she helped John Marshall to a conference championship. She played AAU with Minnesota Fury. Meister is rated as the No. 87 by Collegiate Girls Basketball Report and No. 86 recruit by All Star Girls Report.

Moren on Meister
"Lilly is a player that we have recruited for a long time. She has great length and skill at the forward position. She has versatility in that she can score inside, as well as step out to the perimeter and hit from beyond the arc. As she continues to get stronger, her best basketball is ahead of her. We are excited to develop her into a really good Big Ten player."

Lilly Meister and Lexus Bargesser

Terrible start for Bargesser's senior year.  Midway through the 2nd Q she went down with a knee injury.  She eventually got up and walked off the court on her own but noticeably limping.  She was not with the team in the 2nd half.  Newspaper account had no comment regarding the potential seriousness of the injury.

Great news for IUWBB.

Grass Lake’s Lexus Bargesser returns from injury, and looks to defend state 400 crown

It’s hard to imagine a junior year going much better for Lexus Bargesser. She was part of a state championship girls basketball team in the winter, averaging 24 points and 8.3 rebounds per game for Grass Lake.

Then in the spring she led the Warriors to another state title, this time in track, where she won individual titles in the 100, 200 and 400, and was part of a second-place 4x400 relay.

Any plans she may have had to follow that up with an identical senior season evaporated about 10 minutes into the basketball season.

In Grass Lake’s girls basketball opener against Western in November, Bargesser made a move towards the basket and immediately went down with an injury, an ACL and meniscus tear which immediately wiped out her senior season in basketball.

But five months later, Bargesser is back in action.

“I was determined to get something out of my senior year,” she said. “My doctors, my PT I’ve had, they work with me all the time. They encouraged me to do this and told me I could. That was my goal right out of surgery was to get something, go and get a track season.”

That track season will not include running the 100, 200 or a relay. Not only is she the reigning state champion in the 400, she holds the Lower Peninsula Division 3 State Meet record with a 55.54. For now, that race becomes her focus.

“My goal is just to work on this 400 and hopefully have a good day at states,” she said.

Part of the issue of running in other events is that she can’t quite get down into starting blocks quite yet, hindering her ability to compete in the springs, though she hopes she can get into blocks by the end of the year.

“My doctor just told me [400] is the safest one for me,” she said.

For the start of the 400, she has always had her left leg in front, meaning now she has to get that initial push off of a leg which has just been surgically repaired. She thought about changing her stance at the start, but she is very confident with where her knee is in her recovery, so she’s stepping up to the start line the same way she always has.

Though she missed a month of her senior season in track, she was cleared to compete and made her season debut in the 400 last week when Grass Lake ran at Michigan Center, turning in a 1:02.06. Two days later she was running again at Stockbridge, where she ran a 1:02.39, beating runner-up Kaitlyn Pilch of East Jackson by nearly two seconds.

“The biggest thing for me is what God has led me to in that He made it so I can run this season after not knowing if I was going to get anything from my senior year,” she said. “I honestly went into that meet [at Michigan Center] not really wanting to win it, because that wasn’t what it was for me. What it was was being so thankful that God put me in this position and got me healthy enough to run.”

She had her surgery in December and has been running for two months now. In returning to the track, she said she had the full support of her future coaches at Indiana, where she will play basketball next year.

“I told my coaches that I was going to be cleared for track and they’ve been the best about it,” she said. “They’ve been so supportive with my decision and happy for me. I’m looking at this as an opportunity to get myself better and get my confidence back up for basketball.”

For now, the open 400 is her only event. She’s running with a brace on her left leg, but she’s still running. She said the brace is pretty light and not something she notices much on the track.

“Honestly, I didn’t really want to wear the brace,” she said. “I wanted to be confident in myself when I came back, but my surgeon told me that he wanted me to wear it for that extra protection, and I trust what he says. I am with him on that. I want that extra protection in case something happens again.”

She’s back in competition after five months watching it from the side. She was on the bench for the Warriors’ basketball season, watching Gabi Lutchka and Kate Starkey’s Warriors win a district title.

“Missing my basketball season was very heartbreaking for me, very hard to watch other people be able to play and I couldn’t,” she said. “I definitely wanted to use that built-up anger to come and do something in track.”

But sitting on the sideline was also a learning experience. She said that through it all she learned how to be a good teammate, how to lift her teammates up to help them.

“I honestly learned how to connect with others through it because I didn’t have that extra connection on the court, so I had to build it off the court,” she said.

“The bonus of being more of a coach than a player is I could see different things I couldn’t see when I was playing or I could hear what the coaches were saying more often to different girls instead of not listening if they were talking to someone else. It’s definitely opened up my mind to things like that.”

Of course hate that injury happened to her.  L.B. is another stamp of what T. Moren and staff and IU Ladies basketball program represents.  Lexus Bargesser is amazing and all the descriptive words that it has taken to get to this point.  Will she or how long will it take to get back to where she was as beginning of her senior season (maybe never in track)?  It will be very interesting to see where her basketball journey takes her at IU especially her junior and senior years.  It’s such a long haul to recover the skills that makes her the highly regarded recruit she was and still is.  IU Ladies basketball program will be a great place for her to be.

On 5/10/2022 at 3:13 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Great news for IUWBB.

Grass Lake’s Lexus Bargesser returns from injury, and looks to defend state 400 crown

It’s hard to imagine a junior year going much better for Lexus Bargesser. She was part of a state championship girls basketball team in the winter, averaging 24 points and 8.3 rebounds per game for Grass Lake.

Then in the spring she led the Warriors to another state title, this time in track, where she won individual titles in the 100, 200 and 400, and was part of a second-place 4x400 relay.

Any plans she may have had to follow that up with an identical senior season evaporated about 10 minutes into the basketball season.

In Grass Lake’s girls basketball opener against Western in November, Bargesser made a move towards the basket and immediately went down with an injury, an ACL and meniscus tear which immediately wiped out her senior season in basketball.

But five months later, Bargesser is back in action.

“I was determined to get something out of my senior year,” she said. “My doctors, my PT I’ve had, they work with me all the time. They encouraged me to do this and told me I could. That was my goal right out of surgery was to get something, go and get a track season.”

That track season will not include running the 100, 200 or a relay. Not only is she the reigning state champion in the 400, she holds the Lower Peninsula Division 3 State Meet record with a 55.54. For now, that race becomes her focus.

“My goal is just to work on this 400 and hopefully have a good day at states,” she said.

Part of the issue of running in other events is that she can’t quite get down into starting blocks quite yet, hindering her ability to compete in the springs, though she hopes she can get into blocks by the end of the year.

“My doctor just told me [400] is the safest one for me,” she said.

For the start of the 400, she has always had her left leg in front, meaning now she has to get that initial push off of a leg which has just been surgically repaired. She thought about changing her stance at the start, but she is very confident with where her knee is in her recovery, so she’s stepping up to the start line the same way she always has.

Though she missed a month of her senior season in track, she was cleared to compete and made her season debut in the 400 last week when Grass Lake ran at Michigan Center, turning in a 1:02.06. Two days later she was running again at Stockbridge, where she ran a 1:02.39, beating runner-up Kaitlyn Pilch of East Jackson by nearly two seconds.

“The biggest thing for me is what God has led me to in that He made it so I can run this season after not knowing if I was going to get anything from my senior year,” she said. “I honestly went into that meet [at Michigan Center] not really wanting to win it, because that wasn’t what it was for me. What it was was being so thankful that God put me in this position and got me healthy enough to run.”

She had her surgery in December and has been running for two months now. In returning to the track, she said she had the full support of her future coaches at Indiana, where she will play basketball next year.

“I told my coaches that I was going to be cleared for track and they’ve been the best about it,” she said. “They’ve been so supportive with my decision and happy for me. I’m looking at this as an opportunity to get myself better and get my confidence back up for basketball.”

For now, the open 400 is her only event. She’s running with a brace on her left leg, but she’s still running. She said the brace is pretty light and not something she notices much on the track.

“Honestly, I didn’t really want to wear the brace,” she said. “I wanted to be confident in myself when I came back, but my surgeon told me that he wanted me to wear it for that extra protection, and I trust what he says. I am with him on that. I want that extra protection in case something happens again.”

She’s back in competition after five months watching it from the side. She was on the bench for the Warriors’ basketball season, watching Gabi Lutchka and Kate Starkey’s Warriors win a district title.

“Missing my basketball season was very heartbreaking for me, very hard to watch other people be able to play and I couldn’t,” she said. “I definitely wanted to use that built-up anger to come and do something in track.”

But sitting on the sideline was also a learning experience. She said that through it all she learned how to be a good teammate, how to lift her teammates up to help them.

“I honestly learned how to connect with others through it because I didn’t have that extra connection on the court, so I had to build it off the court,” she said.

“The bonus of being more of a coach than a player is I could see different things I couldn’t see when I was playing or I could hear what the coaches were saying more often to different girls instead of not listening if they were talking to someone else. It’s definitely opened up my mind to things like that.”

Bump.  Since people are commenting on her rim grab in the latest game thread.  She's really made quite a remarkable recovery.