Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Game Thread: 10/2 @ Penn State - 7:30 - ABC

5 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

After losing to 3 top 10 teams...I'm beginning to realize that IU is not a top 10 team. 

Maybe Tom Allen needs to change the flavor of his gum.  

It’s not that we’re losing, it’s how we’re losing. We’ve been outscored 58-6 in conference play. We haven’t scored a touchdown against a big ten program this year. We couldn’t score against PSU. Villanova score 17 points against them. In the past we’ve been able to compete against the top teams in the conference. So far this year we’ve taken a big step back. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It’s not that we’re losing, it’s how we’re losing. We’ve been outscored 58-6 in conference play. We haven’t scored a touchdown against a big ten program this year. We couldn’t score against PSU. Villanova score 17 points against them. In the past we’ve been able to compete against the top teams in the conference. So far this year we’ve taken a big step back. 

We have also played on the road both times in conference.  Maybe some home cookin' will kick start us?

3 hours ago, maharkn said:

Sheridan went 70-148 (47%) 701 yards and 2 touchdowns in his career at Michigan. How did this guy get an OC job or even a QB coach job

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

That’s really not how it works. At all. 

19 minutes ago, Rico said:

We have also played on the road both times in conference.  Maybe some home cookin' will kick start us?

Idk, the ‘home cookin’ against Cincinnati led to our best defender getting ejected on a highly questionable call. With the way we’ve looked so far I wouldn’t be shocked by a disappointing crowd against MSU in a couple weeks. I think we’re good enough to compete with and beat the other middling teams in the conference but we definitely haven’t taken the step everyone hoped we would.

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Idk, the ‘home cookin’ against Cincinnati led to our best defender getting ejected on a highly questionable call. With the way we’ve looked so far I wouldn’t be shocked by a disappointing crowd against MSU in a couple weeks. I think we’re good enough to compete with and beat the other middling teams in the conference but we definitely haven’t taken the step everyone hoped we would.

I look at this way...Cincinnati, of the 3 quality opponents we have played, is the one that we were in the game.  Maybe the Bearcats are the worst of the 3?  I dunno, but we at least showed up for it.

35 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I mean, they brought their conferences officials with them. 

4 minutes ago, KingPG21 said:

I mean, they brought their conferences officials with them. 

True, but we can’t really count on any favors from the Big Ten officials when we’re playing schools like MSU and OSU even though we’re at home. 

4 hours ago, maharkn said:

Sheridan went 70-148 (47%) 701 yards and 2 touchdowns in his career at Michigan. How did this guy get an OC job or even a QB coach job

As the saying goes, “Those what can’t, teach”. Not saying I’d keep him as an OC, just saying his playing days hold zero relevance to this coaching capabilities. 

I’ll defend the 4th decision: the problem was the playcall. You’ll almost never be closer to the end zone, and if you fail, PSU has a long field, so should be less likely to score and/or punt back to you in decent position.

Late, In a tie game, and/or as a favorite, maybe you kick. But a similar call beat PSU in OT last year, and it was the right call both times.

PSU scored even with the long field. If we assume IU takes 3, the only thing that changes is they aren’t shut out last night.

3 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I’ll defend the 4th decision: the problem was the playcall. You’ll almost never be closer to the end zone, and if you fail, PSU has a long field, so should be less likely to score and/or punt back to you in decent position.

Late, In a tie game, and/or as a favorite, maybe you kick. But a similar call beat PSU in OT last year, and it was the right call both times.

PSU scored even with the long field. If we assume IU takes 3, the only thing that changes is they aren’t shut out last night.

Agree.

Seven points instead of three, and if you fail you pin them deep. The decision was good, but the execution was not.

27 minutes ago, lillurk said:

My thoughts as well on the 4th down decision.  I'm ok with going for it early in an attempt to trade punches with them, but if you're going to roll the dice and go for it in that instance I think you also need to roll the dice on a play call a little more imaginative than a shotgun draw up the middle that got stonewalled.  

3 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

As the saying goes, “Those what can’t, teach”. Not saying I’d keep him as an OC, just saying his playing days hold zero relevance to this coaching capabilities. 

As does any coach’s. It was a baseless comment.

2 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Listening to Allen after the game he says he goes for it every time ( instead of the FG) and it’s obvious if Penix is ok he is still the QB.

Insanity. Allen’s loyalty to Penix is going to kill whatever chance we have to salvage the season. We have a perfectly capable backup in Tuttle. In his limited time yesterday the offense was moving much better with him under center. If Allen watches the games and believes Penix gives us the best chance to win then I have major questions about his judgment. You can’t keep playing a guy because of what he did for you a year ago. Not when that was before a second ACL tear. Not when he’s been terrible almost every game since then. I’m sure Michael is a great kid and he’s fought through a lot injury wise, but as a head coach your job is to play the guy who gives you the best chance to win. That’s not Michael Penix. 

Insanity. Allen’s loyalty to Penix is going to kill whatever chance we have to salvage the season. We have a perfectly capable backup in Tuttle. In his limited time yesterday the offense was moving much better with him under center. If Allen watches the games and believes Penix gives us the best chance to win then I have major questions about his judgment. You can’t keep playing a guy because of what he did for you a year ago. Not when that was before a second ACL tear. Not when he’s been terrible almost every game since then. I’m sure Michael is a great kid and he’s fought through a lot injury wise, but as a head coach your job is to play the guy who gives you the best chance to win. That’s not Michael Penix. 
I would like to see the freshman get a chance to play. He is more than likely the future QB

I think my point is he was as bad a player as he is a coach. Let mcullough have a shot at calling the plays

10 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

That whole sequence after the pick was messed up. 

First of all, Penix should've gotten the first down. He takes one more step before going into his slide -- and he's there. He needed to be more aware of that. 

Second of all, I hate the shotgun on fourth down and short. You're essentially turning fourth and 1 into fourth and 5. Either line up under center, come up with a better play -- or just take the three points. They were a gift anyway. 

Regardless, though it should've at the very least been 7-3, it could've easily been 7-7. We still probably don't win -- but it's definitely a different ball game at that point. 

Absolutely it is a different ball game. I never felt confident when I saw the offense stay out there on 4th down. I said oh no, we don't get this you can say...ball game. On the road, you need any kind of momentum and then hopefully build off that. 

6 hours ago, craigyv88 said:

My thoughts as well on the 4th down decision.  I'm ok with going for it early in an attempt to trade punches with them, but if you're going to roll the dice and go for it in that instance I think you also need to roll the dice on a play call a little more imaginative than a shotgun draw up the middle that got stonewalled.  

I think, what made it a bad decision was. The way our offense was playing at that time. Was never confident we were going to convert there based off of what the OL was doing (or should I say not doing) and Penix looked so uncomfortable.

19 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You're not wrong.  Personally, I don't think it really matters who's the QB.  Tuttle might help but that front 5 is the biggest issue. They're unable to run block effectively. They're unable to pass block effectively.  They're committing penalties, whether that be a false start or holding, at the most inopportune times.  It's the main reason IUFB is losing games, in my opinion.  

I don't know what kind of depth there is with the big fellas but if there's any at all I think it might be time to shake some things up. Or the staff has to fix it in hurry. 

I guess the silver lining to all of IUFBs losses is that the losses are to legitimate CFP contenders. Three of the next four games are also against legitimate CFP contenders.  So if the trend is correct, which I don't see why it would change, they're looking at 2-5 going into Halloween weekend.  And 2-6 or 3-5 traveling up the Ann Arbor the following weekend. I guess my point here is, the coaching staff has to fix the front 5 in order for the bonus checks to come in at the end of the season. This off/bye week couldn't come a better time.  Hopefully things get fixed.