Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Game Thread: 10/2 @ Penn State - 7:30 - ABC

Welp…. That wasn’t too much fun, even on semi-fast forward. Seemed like a lot of injured Hoosiers.

Get well team, pick your head up off the ground, and develop a new identity soon.

This has been Archie Miller level offense on a football field all season. Not fun. If we are going to lose, give my Randle El level losses 45-52, please.

Defense fought hard.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Even if Penix avoided serious injury I don’t want to see him start the rest of the season. In our three games against legitimate teams he’s gone 41-93 for 498 yards and 2 touchdowns to 7 interceptions. That’s a 44% completion rate and a 5.3 YPA. He no longer appears to be a player who can win you games against quality opponents, though he can be a big reason why you lose to them. Tuttle had a bad int today but he could move the ball downfield. He can get out of the pocket and scramble when needed. I’m not saying he’s the savior, but Penix has looked cooked. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Even if Penix avoided serious injury I don’t want to see him start the rest of the season. In our three games against legitimate teams he’s gone 41-93 for 498 yards and 2 touchdowns to 7 interceptions. That’s a 44% completion rate and a 5.3 YPA. He no longer appears to be a player who can win you games against quality opponents, though he can be a big reason why you lose to them. Tuttle had a bad int today but he could move the ball downfield. He can get out of the pocket and scramble when needed. I’m not saying he’s the savior, but Penix has looked cooked. 

I’ll reserve any judgment of Tuttle until he’s put in the position of getting 1st team reps. I expect that kind of miscommunication from a guy who’s coming off the bench. I have no way of knowing how Penix performs in practice but in actual games, he’s not even close to as good as Tuttle. Coaching staff needs to step up and make the correct decision 

34 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Defense fought hard.

I was pretty impressed all things considered. Still hate the soft zone coverage schemes but that’s on the staff. We lose a TON on defense next year. Sad to see this year wasted by inept coaching with an absolute joke of an offensive line

4 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

I’ll reserve any judgment of Tuttle until he’s put in the position of getting 1st team reps. I expect that kind of miscommunication from a guy who’s coming off the bench. I have no way of knowing how Penix performs in practice but in actual games, he’s not even close to as good as Tuttle. Coaching staff needs to step up and make the correct decision 

Yeah I really want to see how Tuttle can do with a full game. He’s only played one healthy full game at IU, a win at Wisconsin last year. He had the bowl game but he had a separated shoulder for most of that game. I haven’t seen anything from him that makes me think that he isn’t capable of coming in and, at the very least, giving Peyton Ramsey results. He seems to have a stronger arm than Ramsey. MSU is a game we need and Tuttle gives us a better chance than Penix does. 

15 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

IMO the Head Coach needs to make more than just one "correct decision" and some of those decisions don't involve Tuttle (or other players, for that matter)

IMO the Head Coach needs to make more than just one "correct decision" and some of those decisions don't involve Tuttle (or other players, for that matter)
Sheridan went 70-148 (47%) 701 yards and 2 touchdowns in his career at Michigan. How did this guy get an OC job or even a QB coach job

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Sheridan went 70-148 (47%) 701 yards and 2 touchdowns in his career at Michigan. How did this guy get an OC job or even a QB coach job

And 6 interseptions. Penix playing like his coach did

Was I the only one that was screaming for us to kick a field goal in that first quarter? I know it probably wouldn’t have matter. But at that time, we’re on the road and just had an interception. I feel would could have built off of the momentum. Idk, call me crazy I guess

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Momentum almost officially squelched on the season from fans/media/maybe team. Next, the recruiting effects to trail. This year was big. Could have extinguished the fluke narrative and built on it.

Granted. Schedule completely unkind. We’ve faced 3 top tier teams. We must beat like mid-level teams to keep head above ground.

Probably repeating others here but the defense is excellent and played well enough to win, even short handed.

The game plan and execution on the other side of the ball was embarrassing. I love Mike Penix but he’s clearly not the best QB on this team at this time and in this state. And the offense is like playing the CPU on easy mode in Madden.

I don’t think being a college OC is easy. But I don’t think it takes years of coaching experience to know if you’re watching a good one. IU runs to start every drive and most series of downs. They don’t spread the field well with screens. The DeBoer short passing game left with DeBoer.

I thought the UC game was interesting in that the big picture OC work was poor, but the special situation calls were pretty good. Last night made it seem like those were just dead cat bounces.

1 hour ago, yogisballin said:

Was I the only one that was screaming for us to kick a field goal in that first quarter? I know it probably wouldn’t have matter. But at that time, we’re on the road and just had an interception. I feel would could have built off of the momentum. Idk, call me crazy I guess

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

You take the points unless your offense is rolling and then you still probably take the points

10 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

You never pass on points off a turnover, let alone in the first half…

Unless you are Frank Reich or CTA...

We desperately need Woody to turn the bball program around and turn it around quickly.  Last year's and this year's pre-season euphoria of referring to ourselves as a football school is pretty much dust in the wind.  IU football is so damn frustrating.

That whole sequence after the pick was messed up. 

First of all, Penix should've gotten the first down. He takes one more step before going into his slide -- and he's there. He needed to be more aware of that. 

Second of all, I hate the shotgun on fourth down and short. You're essentially turning fourth and 1 into fourth and 5. Either line up under center, come up with a better play -- or just take the three points. They were a gift anyway. 

Regardless, though it should've at the very least been 7-3, it could've easily been 7-7. We still probably don't win -- but it's definitely a different ball game at that point. 

24 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

We desperately need Woody to turn the bball program around and turn it around quickly.  Last year's and this year's pre-season euphoria of referring to ourselves as a football school is pretty much dust in the wind.  IU football is so damn frustrating.

After losing to 3 top 10 teams...I'm beginning to realize that IU is not a top 10 team. 

Maybe Tom Allen needs to change the flavor of his gum.