Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUMS @ Northwestern - 9/21/21 - 8:00 - BTN

Match televised on the basic BTN network.

Live Stats

The No. 11-ranked Indiana Hoosiers (3-2-1) will hit the road for a Big Ten Conference match-up against the Northwestern Wildcats (2-3-2). The match is slated for an 8 p.m. ET first kick on Sept. 21 at Martin Stadium. 

The match will air live on B1G Network for the first time during the 2021 slate. Dean Linke (PxP) and former Indiana Hoosier Patrick Doody (Analyst) will be on the call. Live stats will be available at IUHoosiers.com.

SETTING THE SCENE
• The two sides met three times during the abbreviated 2020-21 season with the Hoosiers winning twice. NU took the first matchup, Indiana's lone B1G loss a season ago, in Evanston. The Hoosiers took care of business in the last two games of the series, both in Bloomington, including a 3-0 decision in the opening round of the Big Ten Conference Tournament.
• Over the last six seasons, Indiana holds a record of 30-3-8 against Big Ten opponents in the regular season and have outscored the conference foes 74-21 during that stretch.

ABOUT THE WILDCATS
• Northwestern welcomes Indiana with a record of 2-3-2 under first-year head coach Russell Payne. He took over the reins for legendary Wildcats head coach Tim Lenahan after a successful 11-year tenure at Army West Point.
• Freshman midfielder Paul Son and sophomore forward Justin Weiss co-lead the 'Cats in both goals (2) and total points (5). Weiss has attempted a team-high 18 shots for the season.
• Northwestern has used two keepers throughout the first seven matches of the season. Fifth-year senior Miha Miskovic leads the duo in starts (5), minutes played (470), saves (19), and shots faced (81). He has also manned the net in each of the two Wildcat victories this season.
• Graduate transfer Ethan Bandre (Pacific) has seen two starts in goal and played 155 minutes. He has allowed just one goal (0.58 goals against average) and made five saves.

We've fixed nothing. Unlike Rutgers who is improved, this NW team looks just as bad. We however, look worse and as Yeagley said playing with no joy or passion. Nothing has changed. He tried a lineup change and same issues are present.

At this point I would bench the entire team and play backups to send a message.

If Bezerra wanted to go pro after last year, he should of just done it because he certainly isn't doing anything of substance here and helping team.

This is same team as last year but back line is leaking badly (Munie is playing like garbage after two terrific years). Offense is timid and trying to be to unselfish rather than taking first shots available which is an issue.  

Yeagley knows there is an issue with this team but he can't seem to get through to them and change things. Chemistry is off for whatever reason and so far no button pushed can change it. 

48 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Team is broke AF.  Our streak of postseason appearances is going to end 

I would just remember that an equally bad team in 2013 went out and won Big Ten Tournament to get in. It might very well take three wins in the Big Ten Tournament to punch our ticket but that avenue is always there.

This team looks like it has no chance of doing that, but neither did the 2013 team and they did. 

Also this NW coach was saying he was not pleased with his team in first half. I am not sure what he saw, but NW played about as well as they are capable of.

Maybe he is a Bobby Knight who refuses to give credit for anything to his players to make them better, but very odd.

Dean Linke sounded like he couldn't believe what he was hearing from the guy for good reason when interviewing him. Also seems befuddled by IU's play for good reason and he does a lot of our games. Best announcer in soccer to watch and he knows his stuff. Love watching broadcasts with him.

Sarver just chipped the goalie to tie the game.

Second straight game the NW goalie Miskovic has screwed up against us. Last year in Big Ten Tourney he passed a backtap right to Wittenbrink by mistake for a goal. Now he got off his line for no apparent reason allowing the Sarver chip.

We have the wind now and running NW to death. Finally a perfect build up attack on a break I have been waiting for all year for a goal. Bezerra passes ahead to open space for Wittenbrink forcing goalie out. Endeley kept righting on running down the middle and Witt delivered the perfect pass to Endy for an easy goal.

Thats the kind of attacks we should be generating all year with weapons we have.

Bezerra just nearly pulled a score from the corner like Patrick Doody did against ND in 2014. Doody as the analyst on TV for this game points it out:).

That actually is not the biggest score from corner for IU in last few yrs. Trevor Swartz scored from the corner against MSU in Elite 8 in 2017 to tie game and eventually force PK's in what was most important and best IU soccer game of last decade.  

7 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Bezerra just nearly pulled a score from the corner like Patrick Doody did against ND in 2014. Doody as the analyst on TV for this game points it out:).

That actually is not the biggest score from corner for IU in last few yrs. Trevor Swartz scored from the corner against MSU in Elite 8 in 2017 to tie game and eventually force PK's in what was most important and best IU soccer game of last decade.  

God that 2017 E8 game was soooo amazing

IU wins! Better second half. Still not convinced this ship is not taking on water, but at least we plugged the holes for now. That second goal is what IU needs to be doing a lot more of with all their weapons. 

NW is still hapless but at least we took care of them in end. I knew NW was in trouble when their coach gave that crazy interview at halftime. If he is going to give his team that vibe in the locker room after playing their best half possible, it is going to deflate their energy and it certainly did. Linke referenced several times he could not believe what he heard.

The new NW coach needs to be more positive when his team is ahead or he will never get his program turned around. 

NW can often stay in games as they did against PSU last game and now tonight, but as long as their coach brings that negative attitude and the program continues to scuffle they won't win much.

On to a better, but struggling MSU team Sunday afternoon.  

Glad to enjoy that second half. Took advantage of the wind. I wish we were more of a ball control squad. We seem to defend an awful lot and count on quick strike offense. It makes it seem like we get outplayed often. Pretty 2 goals by IU. Some impressive footwork from a few NW players had me pause and rewatch some maneuvers. I wish all games were televised.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Agree, Wayne, the wind really helped the long, long pass.  Couldn't believe the 2nd goal!  My, oh, my.

I said earlier that our passing hasn't looked sharp.  But, Wayne, you said it better about IU's seemingly lack of ball control during the major parts of the game.  Wonder what's up about that?

Enjoyed watching the whole game.