Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jmsgws

How long a leash on Penix?

What do you guys think, are we going to see a QB change? 

I get the argument that Penix is more "mobile" than Tuttle.  Not sure that we have really seen that this year though.  He just does not look like the same player as last year. 

4 minutes ago, jmsgws said:

What do you guys think, are we going to see a QB change? 

I get the argument that Penix is more "mobile" than Tuttle.  Not sure that we have really seen that this year though.  He just does not look like the same player as last year. 

Allen just said Penix is 100% the starter next week. I'm not sold that Penix is healthy, but also not sold on Tuttle. He was OK last year taking over after the Penix injury. McCulley is going to start getting more reps as the season goes in practice, already getting some. 

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Allen just said Penix is 100% the starter next week. I'm not sold that Penix is healthy, but also not sold on Tuttle. He was OK last year taking over after the Penix injury. McCulley is going to start getting more reps as the season goes in practice, already getting some. 

This is my issue as well. Penix has been really bad and Saturday he made some terrible decisions with the football.

However, I watched Tuttle last year and the offense did not look any better with him on the field. Now you can't keep throwing Penix out there no matter what, but I am not confident Tuttle will be any better. 

Oh well. I am sure no matter who is out there we will continue to run it up the gut on 1st and 10 95% of the time and then throw it on 2nd and 9.

M. Penix has a leash all the way to the hospital.  Coach Allen probably sees that Penix is the only one who might guide IU to a bowl.  Whether he will depends on him, the front line, the play calling, the running backs, the receivers, IU's defense and that of the opponents, the way the wind blows, the ball bounces, and the refs.

His decision making has not been great.  Could that be because he was hurting?  Or, maybe in shock...rattled?  Could it be that his head got turned around by all of the pressure?  Was he worried about injuries?  

He needs to be fully evaluated...physically, emotionally, mentally...etc.  The coaches and the medical staff likely are doing that all week.

Coach Allen may not announce Tuttle starts until game time.   But I hope that Penix is ready, the team is up, and the OL, the wide receivers etc.  do a good job including late in the game.

Two pick-sixes against Iowa, very mediocre vs. Idaho and three picks and some really bad throws against Cincy. There were some drops Saturday, but drops don't account for a 17-for-40 outing. 

I just don't think you can afford to stick with him. He's in his fourth year with the program, following three with season-ending injuries. I'm starting to think he's the Maurice Creek of the football program. Tons of potential and a pretty damn good player when healthy, but injuries have taken their toll. He's just not the same anymore. 

If I were making the call (and for one, I'm glad I'm not; for two, probably every IU football fan is happy I'm not), I go with Tuttle. Granted, it was against a FCS school, but against Idaho, I thought he looked really sharp and comfortable in a game for the first time at IU. Part of the reason I think you make the change now is you can get Tuttle's feet wet as the starter against an opponent we should beat.

If Penix plays awful again at WKU, we're in a bind. You can't trust him with the offense, but do you want a new starting QB in front of 105,000 fans and a team that is really, really, really pissed because they think the refs handed us that game last year?

I've seen the argument that Penix is more mobile than Tuttle. With all his injuries, I'm not so sure. I might be in the minority, but I say make the change now. 

I’m pretty back and forth on the issue. On one hand, Penix is immensely talented and when he gets on a roll he’s legitimately a top-5 QB in the nation. I could tell that he was dangerously close to catching that rhythm on Saturday, but the drops came in such big spots (and on some really, truly impressive throws) that they killed it. On the other hand, you can’t throw 3 stupid picks against a top-10 team. I only credit him with one against Iowa because it bounced off of DJ’s face, if anyone cares. 

Tuttle is a very safe option and has to be one of the better backup options in the country. Talented, smart, beloved by everyone that’s ever met him. He can’t make throws that Penix can make, but he doesn’t have Peyton Ramsey’s noodle arm by any means either. He isn’t quite a “game manager”, but he isn’t going to be *the reason* you beat PSU either. 

I really don’t see Penix getting outright benched because his ceiling is way too high and he’s a couple rhythm-building throws away from going full 2020 Ohio State at any given time, but if these injuries are really there again then it may become an easier choice. 

Oh, and Michael Penix is not a “dual-threat” and never has been. Do. Not. Fall. Into. That. Trap. 

25 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I’m pretty back and forth on the issue. On one hand, Penix is immensely talented and when he gets on a roll he’s legitimately a top-5 QB in the nation. I could tell that he was dangerously close to catching that rhythm on Saturday, but the drops came in such big spots (and on some really, truly impressive throws) that they killed it. On the other hand, you can’t throw 3 stupid picks against a top-10 team. I only credit him with one against Iowa because it bounced off of DJ’s face, if anyone cares. 

Tuttle is a very safe option and has to be one of the better backup options in the country. Talented, smart, beloved by everyone that’s ever met him. He can’t make throws that Penix can make, but he doesn’t have Peyton Ramsey’s noodle arm by any means either. He isn’t quite a “game manager”, but he isn’t going to be *the reason* you beat PSU either. 

I really don’t see Penix getting outright benched because his ceiling is way too high and he’s a couple rhythm-building throws away from going full 2020 Ohio State at any given time, but if these injuries are really there again then it may become an easier choice. 

Oh, and Michael Penix is not a “dual-threat” and never has been. Do. Not. Fall. Into. That. Trap. 

I agree that if you want to beat an OSU, PSU, or someone like that you need Penix to do that. I think Tuttle can manage a win against WKU or Purdue but not sure he can beat a top 25 team. I think that is why you stick with Penix.

IU football this season has been like waiting for Christmas to get here, then three presents in so far we've only got socks and underwear. 

2 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

This is my issue as well. Penix has been really bad and Saturday he made some terrible decisions with the football.

However, I watched Tuttle last year and the offense did not look any better with him on the field. Now you can't keep throwing Penix out there no matter what, but I am not confident Tuttle will be any better. 

Oh well. I am sure no matter who is out there we will continue to run it up the gut on 1st and 10 95% of the time and then throw it on 2nd and 9.

I won't entirely disagree, but we've really only seen him in 3 total halves? Prior to the Penix injury last season, he only really played in mop up duty right? The Wisconsin game was his first college start, and then he played nearly half if not more of the bowl game with a separated shoulder after nearly a full month break of very limited practice. His stats from the Wisconsin game don't jump off the page, but he made some really nice throws in that game and would have had 1 more TD if not for an inexcusable wide open drop by Marshall. Add in all the reps he got with the first string in the spring and I'm starting to be more confident we'd be in better shape with him in there. 

I'm not sure I buy the argument that Tuttle can't beat a top 25 program, while Penix can. 

We're not sure what Tuttle is capable of because he hasn't gotten much of chance. He beat Wisconsin last year -- on the road -- then lost to Mississippi while playing part of the game with a separated shoulder. 

I think Tuttle might be capable of more than some are giving him credit for. Sure, Wisconsin wasn't the usual Wisconsin last season -- but Penn State wasn't the usual Penn State and Michigan wasn't the usual Michigan. . 

1 minute ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I won't entirely disagree, but we've really only seen him in 3 total halves? Prior to the Penix injury last season, he only really played in mop up duty right? The Wisconsin game was his first college start, and then he played nearly half if not more of the bowl game with a separated shoulder after nearly a full month break of very limited practice. His stats from the Wisconsin game don't jump off the page, but he made some really nice throws in that game and would have had 1 more TD if not for an inexcusable wide open drop by Marshall. Add in all the reps he got with the first string in the spring and I'm starting to be more confident we'd be in better shape with him in there. 

Yeah I mean I saw him in 2 and 1/2 football games last year. I think he has a high floor mid level ceiling. I am not saying he would do worse than Penix or even that he shouldn't start this weekend.

My point is, from what I saw from Tuttle doesn't give me much confidence this team would be better. I just am not going to sit here and say he is the answer because he didn't seem to be when I saw him play. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I agree that if you want to beat an OSU, PSU, or someone like that you need Penix to do that. I think Tuttle can manage a win against WKU or Purdue but not sure he can beat a top 25 team. I think that is why you stick with Penix.

IU football this season has been like waiting for Christmas to get here, then three presents in so far we've only got socks and underwear. 

Didn’t he start against Wisconsin last year? I thought they were ranked.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I think Indiana is totally capable of beating those teams if Tuttle is the guy starting, but he won’t be *the* reason they do, while Penix is totally capable of throwing the team on his back and carrying them there just like he almost did in Columbus last year and like he did at the end (last part of regulation and obviously overtime) of PSU. 

Against Wisconsin last year, Tuttle did a great job of making a couple big throws when he needed to and leading the offense, but if OSU Penix plays in that game we win by 4 TDs. 

While the Penix of old was capable of beating top teams because of great play, it remains to be seen whether current Penix can. What we do know is that current Penix is more than capable of being the reason why we lose to a top 10 team. Can Tuttle give us average against a good team? Because average beats Cincinnati on Saturday.

We haven’t seen OSU Penix in any other game before or since that game. And really, it was only half of that game. The first half was pedestrian. That game also happened in a completely empty stadium. We’re not going to (hopefully) see that setting ever again. That’s not to minimize that game, as it was an amazing game, but I’m not holding out hope that we see anything close to that from him again. 

The last play of the PSU game is what everyone remembers, but as a whole it was a very mediocre game from him. 19/36 for 170 yards, 1 td and 1 int.

As far as leashes, I vote for no leash at all. Penix should be benched and Tuttle should start on Saturday against WKU. He needs game reps to get prepared for the gauntlet we have coming up. He’s completed 48% of his passes and thrown 6 interceptions against our two BCS opponents this year. 31 completions to our team and 6 completions to the other team. 

Potential has been the key word with penix. People have seen his strong arm and moments of greatness and thought about his potential for greatness. But at some point that has to actually materialize. Its his fourth season at IU. At this point, more often than not he’s been inconsistent and injury prone. I’m ready to move on, and if history is an indicator at some point we’ll have to because of injury anymore. He’s never played more than six games in a season, and he’s never lasted until the end of one. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

While the Penix of old was capable of beating top teams because of great play, it remains to be seen whether current Penix can. What we do know is that current Penix is more than capable of being the reason why we lose to a top 10 team. Can Tuttle give us average against a good team? Because average beats Cincinnati on Saturday.

We haven’t seen OSU Penix in any other game before or since that game. And really, it was only half of that game. The first half was pedestrian. That game also happened in a completely empty stadium. We’re not going to (hopefully) see that setting ever again. That’s not to minimize that game, as it was an amazing game, but I’m not holding out hope that we see anything close to that from him again. 

The last play of the PSU game is what everyone remembers, but as a whole it was a very mediocre game from him. 19/36 for 170 yards, 1 td and 1 int.

As far as leashes, I vote for no leash at all. Penix should be benched and Tuttle should start on Saturday against WKU. He needs game reps to get prepared for the gauntlet we have coming up. He’s completed 48% of his passes and thrown 6 interceptions against our two BCS opponents this year. 31 completions to our team and 6 completions to the other team. 

Potential has been the key word with penix. People have seen his strong arm and moments of greatness and thought about his potential for greatness. But at some point that has to actually materialize. Its his fourth season at IU. At this point, more often than not he’s been inconsistent and injury prone. I’m ready to move on, and if history is an indicator at some point we’ll have to because of injury anymore. He’s never played more than six games in a season, and he’s never lasted until the end of one. 

After watching the Ramsey debacle and seeing what Peyton was able to accomplish at NW I have little faith in Allen making the right move here.

Does it really matter? We are starting the QB that “can beat a top 25 team” but limiting him to game manager.

Quick, it’s 1st and 10 on our own 25. What play are we calling?

Anyone that’s watched more than a series of IU on offense knows the answer. We’re limiting our offense to pickup 9+ yards in two downs.

The two times we didn’t run up the guy on first downs Saturday, we moved the ball. Weird

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

46 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

After watching the Ramsey debacle and seeing what Peyton was able to accomplish at NW I have little faith in Allen making the right move here.

As many people know, I’ve always thought that Ramsey was criminally underrated by IU fans. He wasn’t Patrick Mahomes, but he wasn’t Zander Diamont either. You don’t throw for 8,300 yards and 54 touchdowns in the Big 10 if you are. For all the talk about how X quarterback can’t beat the top teams, he went to Northwestern, went 7-2, won the Big 10 West and won a bowl game against an SEC team. 

Sometimes a boring, average quarterback is all you need. Iowa’s quarterback is the epitome of average and they destroyed us and will probably win their division. If Tuttle can be as good as Ramsey I see no reason not to turn to him. Penix is awful right now. We probably don’t beat PSU or OSU with him, but let’s be honest we probably aren’t beating those teams this year anyway. We have several games against competitive teams similar to us. Cincinnati was one of them, imo. I want the quarterback who gives us the best chance in those games because those are the teams we need to beat to make a bowl game. A turnover machine like Penix hurts our chances in those games. 

Unfortunately, I agree with you that we’re stuck with him barring injury. I don’t see Allen making a change unless he is forced to. 

Does Penix see the 'hook' tomorrow?  

Personally, at this point in time I am highly skeptical that he will be our starting QB at the end of the year.  But with a great outing against WKU some of my pessimism will fade.