Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

Rutgers @ #9 IUMS @ 8:00 - 9/17/21

Time to open Big Ten play with a healthy team that looks to be rounding into form. Rutgers I would think is a paper tiger. They are undefeated but have not played anyone with so much as a pulse and barely beat a couple. This game will tell us if the Scarlet Knights are for real.

One very bad thing for IU is Akron somehow went and lost to Ohio State which is the worst team in Big Ten arguably. With that said game was at OSU and not in atmosphere IU faced. Also Akron dominated the game and took one of those unfortunate soccer losses it looks like from box score. My eyes told me Akron was a legit team and most talented IU has played by far when watching.

Soccer is a cruel game but still that is a terrible loss that hurts both teams and is much worse than IU's to Creighton from a talent perspective. Found Coach Embick's interview from Akron after and he called his team out much like Yeagley did after our game against the Blue Jays. Both are great coaches and know when their team's play is inexcusable and both have had a game like that now.

We are healthy and should win this game easily if we bring the Akron effort, but I want to see a bit more from this team before crowning them. D has been much better last two games and that needs to continue if we want to be the team we had hoped. 

Once again did not create a lot of chances on goal in first 20 min. and slipped once on D but Celentano bailed us out. 

However, when we finally got our first real chance on corner, we cashed it in. Bezerra pass into box on short corner deflected in air and lands at Munie's feet who cashed it in. Second straight game Munie has scored off a corner. 

Once again Rutgers ties it on a bad turnover. Same story as Akron goalie denies IU doubling their lead on a great save and then tie it a few min later.

Rutgers has improved a ton this year but IU should still be better than they are. 

What a disaster and we are fragile as heck. After that Bezerra denial we melted to pieces. Rutgers is far better this year, but IU better figure things out and play a lot better. If they do it will be 2015 (which was last lost to Rutgers) where start to season was this bad and a great finish if not its 2013 where we may not even tourney where we struggled all year.    

Here are the issues:

1. Munie is trying to attack to much and exposing the backline which is one of the main reasons the D has looked so vulnerable.

2. McDonald should not be playing. He has potential, but is bringing nothing right now and is also exposing the backline. Bebej or Goumballe should have that spot.

3. Bezerra is not quite himself this year so far. He has been robbed of a goal each of last three games but he is still rounding back into form after early season knee injury, so hopefully he will continue to get stronger as season goes on.

Fix these three things which very much are fixable and we will be fine. We have the talent but not the chemistry at moment and that needs to change. Shore up what I said above and we should be fine.