Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Game Thread: 9/18 vs. Cincinnati - Noon - ESPN

I still believe this team goes to a bowl.  I think if we were to look at our past losses the past two years, you can point to  specific plays done by players that cost us the game. 

I’m hoping recruits when looking into the program can see that the schemes and the coach are real solid. I’m hoping they could say “I would’ve caught that ball” “ I  wouldn’t have dropped that ball so easily so they can return the ball for a touchdown (ohio State). I’m hoping they see schemes and formations and know they’ll succeed.  Like how Coach Woodson is showing the kids who are committing. 

I really do think it’s a  lack of talent problem. The only main fault I have with Coach Allen is that he’s loyal to his kids and won’t sub them out. 

The Allen era continues to be plagued with mental mistakes, lack of execution and terrible penalties not to mention a commitment to play a often injured QB who has rarely lived up to expectations. I still feel this team takes on the persona of a coach who is completely scatter brained at times.

8 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

The defense was curb stomped once McFadden went out. 

Kinda happens when you lose the most important player on the field. Was still plenty good to win the game and gave us the opportunity to be up 28 at halftime if it weren’t for some really stupid offensive mistakes. They didn’t have a first down until well into the 2nd quarter if I remember correctly. 

5 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Kinda happens when you lose the most important player on the field. Was still plenty good to win the game and gave us the opportunity to be up 28 at halftime if it weren’t for some really stupid offensive mistakes. They didn’t have a first down until well into the 2nd quarter if I remember correctly. 

And all of that was before McFadden went out. But losing him isn't excuse to look like a high school team once he was out. 

11 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

And all of that was before McFadden went out. But losing him isn't excuse to look like a high school team once he was out. 

Lol reasonable as always. Still got stops to give us a chance to win. Multiple chances at taking a 4th qtr lead blown by the offense. Gave up, what, 14 real points in the 2nd half? The other 14 came from a KO TD and a short field garbage time TD. A lot to bitch about today, but the defense isn’t it unless you just need something to argue about. 

Allen is going to have to go out and find a real offensive coordinator in order to get this back on track. Sheridan will just not get it done. Changing the entire offense to make sure penix doesn't get hit is not a good offense to run.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

He may not have a choice since Penix apparently got x rays done after the game.

Yup. Assuming it was the arm/elbow he was holding in the 3Q. Never came out though, so not sure it's serious. 

Regardless of severity, think it's time to see what Tuttle has for a full game. Now that we've lost 2, need to look at things with the future in mind. Tuttle is the first box I'd like to check. Not sure either frosh will have what it takes, but I'd assume McCully has a decent ceiling.

And if we're not confident in any of our guys by the end of the season, need to hit the transfer portal hard. Gonna be a lot movement at the end of the year given the free Covid seasons.. 

21 minutes ago, Southside said:

Yup. Assuming it was the arm/elbow he was holding in the 3Q. Never came out though, so not sure it's serious. 

Regardless of severity, think it's time to see what Tuttle has for a full game. Now that we've lost 2, need to look at things with the future in mind. Tuttle is the first box I'd like to check. Not sure either frosh will have what it takes, but I'd assume McCully has a decent ceiling.

And if we're not confident in any of our guys by the end of the season, need to hit the transfer portal hard. Gonna be a lot movement at the end of the year given the free Covid seasons.. 

Don't want to blow the red shirt season for the freshman because I think he will be really good. Throwing him into the deep end might not be in our best long term interests. Tuttle was a highly rated QB coming out of high school and seems to have enough talent to take us forward. Maybe we would have been better off today with a game manager than a guy who was trying to force plays that were not there. A punt is almost always better than an interception. I appreciate everything that Penix has done and I admire his courage to keep coming back after injuries. But, at some point, it's time to move on and give someone else the ball. We might be there now. If he was hurt at the end of the game, then now is probably that time.

19 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Don't want to blow the red shirt season for the freshman because I think he will be really good. Throwing him into the deep end might not be in our best long term interests. Tuttle was a highly rated QB coming out of high school and seems to have enough talent to take us forward. Maybe we would have been better off today with a game manager than a guy who was trying to force plays that were not there. A punt is almost always better than an interception. I appreciate everything that Penix has done and I admire his courage to keep coming back after injuries. But, at some point, it's time to move on and give someone else the ball. We might be there now. If he was hurt at the end of the game, then now is probably that time.

We win today pretty easily with a game manager instead of whatever Penix was out there. Peyton Ramsey was a game manager in most people’s eyes. In 2019 he completed 68% of his passes for 8.2 Y/A. Penix’s calling card is his arm strength but that doesn’t really mean much when he’s wildly inaccurate and can’t get the ball to the right team. Through 3 games he’s completed 48% of his passes for 5.1 Y/A, and he’s thrown three INTs against both of our BCS opponents. Penix has thrown for more interceptions against Iowa and Cincinnati this year than Ramsey did in the entire 2019 season. 

If Tuttle can come in and throw for 200 or so yards a game, complete 60+ percent of his passes, and keep his turnovers down, he’d be a big upgrade over what we’ve had so far. 

19 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I want to check the box first on Tuttle. 

Don't need to burn the RS for the freshman. He can play 4 games and still be a RS.

If we get to the Rutgers game, and still have no answer at QB, no reason not to kick the tires on the freshman.

8 hours ago, kreigh8 said:

The offensive line needs to improve, absolutely but they did open up plenty of holes in that first quarter and allowed Carr to run the ball effectively. Cincy made an adjustment to make Penix beat them which he wasn’t able to with little help from Fryfogle and line unable to pick up the blitzes. My concern with moving to Tuttle is if the line does miss he’s not going to escape pressure as well as Penix due to the difference in athleticism. Tuttle very well likely may be the better thrower but teams aren’t going to let him sit back there and throw it. And I’d wager to think the O-Line play as well against the Big10 gautlent that they did today for a few quarter. Just my take on it. Not sure what the best route is, tough spot for Allen and staff to be in

I would agree with you if we were seeing the Penix at the beginning of last year.  The Penix of this year has not shown himself to be any more mobile than Tuttle, and worse he seems to have lost his decision making.  I am not sure that we lost at Iowa because of his bad decisions, but certainly yesterday his poor decision making contributed greatly to the loss.  

Unfortunately, yesterday, there were also many other mistakes that led to getting beat.  

Over?   Over?!   Did somebody say it's over?!  It's not over until all of the team, the coaches, and all of the fans say it's over!!!

Sure, these are tough times.  2 losses to really good top ten teams after hopes and hypes...and a great and lucky year last year.

The Cincy game was winnable for IU.  But many things went wrong:  Injuries, ref's calls, controversial play calling, dropped balls, bad decisions and my least favorite...lack of discipline.    

Last year, when the going got tough for IU, we responded and kept going at it.  The let-down after the unfortunate targeting call against McFadden was more than noticeable.  

On that note, heard the refs couldn't see the video replay.  Well, here it is: 

At least the rest of the team is not on double-secret probation!

Also read that QB MP Jr. had an X-ray taken.  No results have been stated.  Hope that he is ok.  

I say, we could have won the Cincy game.  We can win a bunch of the rest of the games this season.  Losing to 2 teams like we did is rough but it isn't the season.   

Go IU!

Can I speak on the absolute clown show the concessions and beer/wine facilities were? I went to get a beer and water then seen both lines for them and said no chance. Turned and decided to use the restroom until I saw that line and decide against it. My wife though decided to wait in line to get us waters. She began waiting with 12 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter and she came back with water at the 6 minute mark in the 3rd quarter. Not only that but when she finally made it to order the water they told her they ran out of bottled water. So they then charged her bottle water price for tap water. IU needs to address this disaster because I don't think many people would be happy to miss more than a quarter of the game just to get a water. As for the game.....defense was great with McFadden and still good enough without. This one is on the offense as a whole and ST's. Why can't we get a guy that can boot it through the end zone every kick off?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, rcs29 said:

Can I speak on the absolute clown show the concessions and beer/wine facilities were? I went to get a beer and water then seen both lines for them and said no chance. Turned and decided to use the restroom until I saw that line and decide against it. My wife though decided to wait in line to get us waters. She began waiting with 12 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter and she came back with water at the 6 minute mark in the 3rd quarter. Not only that but when she finally made it to order the water they told her they ran out of bottled water. So they then charged her bottle water price for tap water. IU needs to address this disaster because I don't think many people would be happy to miss more than a quarter of the game just to get a water. As for the game.....defense was great with McFadden and still good enough without. This one is on the offense as a whole and ST's. Why can't we get a guy that can boot it through the end zone every kick off?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Concessions aren’t just an IU problem, it’s a nationwide workforce problem. Every stadium in America (and pretty much every workplace like it) is experiencing employee shortages. It’s a total clown show absolutely, but no one has figured out what to do about it anywhere. 

36 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Concessions aren’t just an IU problem, it’s a nationwide workforce problem. Every stadium in America (and pretty much every workplace like it) is experiencing employee shortages. It’s a total clown show absolutely, but no one has figured out what to do about it anywhere. 

Doesn't IU (and many other colleges) still use charity and non-profit organizations to run concessions/merch/other sales? The groups then get a cut of the revenue to support their cause. Its tough to ask them to serve 50,000+ people. IIRC in 2019, there were several scathing pics of the out-and-out catastrophe Memorial Stadium was in the Bucket game from bad concessions to bird crap everywhere in the stadium which precedes COVID and the strain the 'just-in-time' methodology has placed on the workforce.

13 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

Doesn't IU (and many other colleges) still use charity and non-profit organizations to run concessions/merch/other sales? The groups then get a cut of the revenue to support their cause. Its tough to ask them to serve 50,000+ people. IIRC in 2019, there were several scathing pics of the out-and-out catastrophe Memorial Stadium was in the Bucket game from bad concessions to bird crap everywhere in the stadium which precedes COVID and the strain the 'just-in-time' methodology has placed on the workforce.

Every time we went to the concessions we were getting apologies because they were short-staffed. Not sure if they’re still using charities, but it didn’t seem like it around our section.