Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Carmelo Anthony

Mike Woodson Q&A: Former Knicks coach on Carmelo Anthony, fighting with J.R. Smith: Woodson took some time with SNY to look back on his coaching tenure in New York

Q: Going back to your Knicks tenure, what was your experience like coaching Carmelo Anthony?

A: It was the best. I think the world of Carmelo. We spent three years together and I was able to coach him and push him and I thought he responded in a big way. That's all a coach can ever ask for. I think Carmelo is misread sometimes. I can't say anything but good things about Carmelo Anthony. When I took over the ballclub, I said in the locker room that he was going to be held accountable along with Tyson (Chandler) and Amar'e (Stoudemire). And they all bought in and they put up with a lot of things I did and said. And I put up with a lot of things that they did and said. And we were able to win basketball games and get the team back to respectability. I have the utmost respect for Carmelo in terms of what he did for me during my tenure in New York. And I wish him nothing but the best.

Carmelo will make as much as an impact to kids that route their college path through IU as much as assistants currently on the roster.  Carmelo is very decorated in terms of NBA achievements and very well respected amongst his peers.  I am not discounting the coaching staff whatsoever, BUT CMW time with Carmelo back in the day was tremendous and will translate for IU success in the coming years.  

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

It is not a coincidence that two top five players who are working out with Carmelo immediately thereafter expressed interest in Carmelo's favorite coach.

Add in the Montverde/JHS/their point guard for the coming year/   connection? 

Similar to how MJ has helped UNC recruiting over the years, think we'll see Melo helping IU's recruiting...

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Also---for those who think that Syracuse is the natural Carmelo recommendation, he spent one year with Boeheim and three with Woody.

There has to be a Bernie Fine joke in there somewhere.  Just sayin'

6 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Also---for those who think that Syracuse is the natural Carmelo recommendation, he spent one year with Boeheim and three with Woody.

He has his own basketball center there. He may be partial to Woody, but I can’t imagine this being anything more than D-Wade/Crean lite.

20 hours ago, Southside said:

Regardless, Woody can use this when HE is talking to recruits. And Melo if asked by those same guys will only talk good about him. Melo may push harder for Cuse, but he won't push against IU (IMO)>

Which would be ironic because they still resent IU up there over the Smart shot.

3 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

Which would be ironic because they still resent IU up there over the Smart shot.

LOL. Yup. 

We've got some great staff with NE connections, so not really worried overall. 

While I absolutely want to recruit nationally, I want to lock down our state first and foremost. 

Woody has impressed me early. Would never have guess him grabbing two studs from FL...