Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) PF - Derik Queen to Maryland

8 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

You are missing my point.  Call it Blue Blood, Call it Elite. Call it a top recruiting school.  The way fanbases view Indiana is likely also how the recruit views Indiana.  It’s the mantra, the presence.   Winning is the most important factor but other factors can help that as well.  Program momentum.  Which recruits you get.  How they perform.  Top players play together and talk.  

The only 2 quantifiable measuring sticks are wins on the court and wins in recruiting.  We are off to a good start but ‘23 recruiting doesn’t indicate the results of a program build.  You’d think playing time available and JHS, Malik Reneau and NIL would have made us highly desirable.  And if we aren’t, why not?  

In theory? Because we're not done yet, and because Woody has a personality type that he prefers, and not every five star fits it.

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

You are missing my point.  Call it Blue Blood, Call it Elite. Call it a top recruiting school.  The way fanbases view Indiana is likely also how the recruit views Indiana.  It’s the mantra, the presence.   Winning is the most important factor but other factors can help that as well.  Program momentum.  Which recruits you get.  How they perform.  Top players play together and talk.  

The only 2 quantifiable measuring sticks are wins on the court and wins in recruiting.  We are off to a good start but ‘23 recruiting doesn’t indicate the results of a program build.  You’d think playing time available and JHS, Malik Reneau and NIL would have made us highly desirable.  And if we aren’t, why not?  

Not missing your point at all just disagreeing with it.   You worry about what other people think about where IU stands in the college basketball landscape and thinks if effects recruiting.   I just feel like it’s irrelevant what others think about where IU stands.      IU has had 7 straight years of being under .500 in conference and still has probably had the most success in recruiting 5 stars to their program in the B1G.   Most of them probably didn’t even know where  IU finished the year before they got there and if they did they probably think they will be the reason it can change.  Winning cures all though and makes discussions like this minimal 

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

Not missing your point at all just disagreeing with it.   You worry about what other people think about where IU stands in the college basketball landscape and thinks if effects recruiting.   I just feel like it’s irrelevant what others think about where IU stands.      IU has had 7 straight years of being under .500 in conference and still has probably had the most success in recruiting 5 stars to their program in the B1G.   Most of them probably didn’t even know where  IU finished the year before they got there and if they did they probably think they will be the reason it can change.  Winning cures all though and makes discussions like this minimal 

Good convo!  Yeah, I have sky high expectations and I’m going to keep them up there because We Da Best Music!  Lol.  No reason in the NIL era we can’t be as good (talented) as we want to be.  My fandom for IUFB is easier to stomach because my expectations are in line for IUFB.  But IUBB, never giving up the hope. Haha.  This season will be a lot of fun and the transfer portal will always keep hope alive a little longer nowadays, thank goodness.  

but if Maryland gets Dairy Queen to reclass the week after Woody hosts, it will be comedy gold for the Terps and that dancing weirdo will be a thing of Woody’s nightmares.  

9 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Good convo!  Yeah, I have sky high expectations and I’m going to keep them up there because We Da Best Music!  Lol.  No reason in the NIL era we can’t be as good (talented) as we want to be.  My fandom for IUFB is easier to stomach because my expectations are in line for IUFB.  But IUBB, never giving up the hope. Haha.  This season will be a lot of fun and the transfer portal will always keep hope alive a little longer nowadays, thank goodness.  

but if Maryland gets Dairy Queen to reclass the week after Woody hosts, it will be comedy gold for the Terps and that dancing weirdo will be a thing of Woody’s nightmares.  

I think at this point in queens recruitment it  is more likely he reclasses then  doesn’t reclass regardless of the school he goes to.    Loud whispers all summer about his reclass 

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

You seem to over look that we have two commitments from 2 top 100 players in the 23 class.  I would say Newton is as good or better than Kaiser and DHS are so I don't see how you view the 23 class as not good.  Also we won't know completely the 23 class until April

Some fans just find the negative in everything… because they care about the program and remember a time when it was elite/blue blood. Can’t believe fans could be negative when we’ve had so much success in the last few decades.. errr we were clean… errr we’re rebuilding… errr we protect our turf unless we don’t want those players!!

Just win, after you’ve won keep winning. When you’re established start talking.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Some fans just find the negative in everything… because they care about the program and remember a time when it was elite/blue blood. Can’t believe fans could be negative when we’ve had so much success in the last few decades.. errr we were clean… errr we’re rebuilding… errr we protect our turf unless we don’t want those players!!

It’s remarkable really. I constantly LOOK for the positive and state it when I see it. I want to ROLL. The combo of JHS and Reneau, with the Underrated Banks and possibly underrated Gunn plus the return of all of our best players…… remarkable. That’s why we are projected top 6-18 and the front runners to win the B1G. Outstanding.

Now we project to lose TJD (although maybe not?!?!?one can dream), Race, X, Kopp, maybe a breakout player (JHS). Likely to be a few transfers (who knows). To replace our starting 4 and 5 we have 2 low rated 4 stars that is a smallish PG who will struggle with strength and size in the B1G to start and an Athletic combo guard with a lot of upside working on his shot.

We aimed for A shooter, Stoyakivich (went nowhere), Power (lost to a bigger/better program) , Kaiser (hometown kid or starting role or whatever-I wasn’t wowed anyway) to Maryland.

We liked DHS, I’m not sure what role we were even trying for here, because he’s a small wing or a combo guard. We seem to have those spots covered. It wasn’t a match. Whatever. I didn’t think we needed him. Maryland gets him.

We are after Page. We might get Page. A good upside BIG with potential. Backup guy to start, would be a solid pickup. Fits our other 2 as building block guys, but we are losing an All American at the 5 and a possible 1st Conf guy at the 4.

We seem to be targeting Queen to reclass, as is Maryland it appears. Maryland is rumored to be the leader. Will he be ready to start on a winning B1G team as a reclassed recruit? Maybe?

We couldn’t decide if we wanted Booker. The possible #1 player in the class from our home state. Is that going to be a miss? Let’s hope not? It won’t look great if it was, but whatever, get the guy you want. And hopefully it’s the better player. Who is it going to be?

Will transfer portal be the saving grace? Maybe?

Just overall, odd recruiting decisions made all around for ‘23. Can they salvage what we need to remain projected near the top of B1G
Despite all we lose? Sure. Lots has to happen. Who we targeted and who we’ve landed so far isn’t Impressive considering the holes we have to fill. YET. Page would be great, but we need more.

Anyway, I’m just always negative. That’s the simple answer.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Since it's early September, I'm not going to worry too much about how the next class is going to finish out. I think we are in for the best season we have had in a long time. And I think that will put us on the map. We will get enough talent to compete and then it will be up to the staff to make them better. I have more faith in this staff than any since the Knight years. I don't believe that we have had anyone running the program who cares as much as CMW in probably a couple of decades. That alone makes me think we will be ok.

12 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I care for the program as anyone and have witnessed 3 national championships but don't have to try to find negative in every situation.

Hes usually pretty reliable on bleacher report. 
A4CF984C-622E-42AE-BDB5-FC2092B2EE6B.thumb.png.f9a9956ab742a758112b01dddf3883a5.png

Wouldn’t surprise me one bit. That’s what I was thinking last week when Queen news broke. The Cunningham, ‘Swing for the fences’ might apply here, too, with reclass consideration although it doesn’t really help our 4/5 void.

‘23 recruiting has been exhausting, but as I’ve said for a while, the portal could really be our friend if our staff and Nil can close a deal.

‘24 we’ve targeted a lot of great, top kids. Will we land any?

Wouldn’t surprise me one bit. That’s what I was thinking last week when Queen news broke. The Cunningham, ‘Swing for the fences’ might apply here, too, with reclass consideration although it doesn’t really help our 4/5 void.

‘23 recruiting has been exhausting, but as I’ve said for a while, the portal could really be our friend if our staff and Nil can close a deal.

‘24 we’ve targeted a lot of great, top kids. Will we land any?

Maybe Joey Brunk still has eligibility left.

Speaking of Bigs and Hyperbole, Hubert Davis said Jalen Washington is the best shooting Big he’s seen ever. But But But has he watched Xavier Booker shoot the rock?

Did I mention we need Bigs?