Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) PF - Derik Queen to Maryland

7 hours ago, Scott_b said:

After not transferring out this off season why would he consider it next season. He knows the rotation this season isn't changing and stayed, so he appears in it for the long haul which is what we want. Keep in mind he was a solid 4 star recruit and got the best of Kaleb Furst in HS. The potential is clearly there. Now if a freshman comes in next year that reclassified up and is better prepared for the B1G then maybe Duncomb is out of his league and transfers. Don't see it happening or a need to speculate at this point.

Why does any kid decide to transfer?  Lots of reasons.  All I said was I could see him leaving after this year if he got some assurance of immediate PT from another successful program.  BTW...most everything on here is pure speculation...as you certainly know.  I'm all for Duncomb staying...just so you know.   It's all good.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Is Stuhoo and the gifs prepared for this? 

Is Woodson getting spoofed? 

Nah just in big time recruitments against a program that now has a staff focused on keeping their home based talent to stay in the area.    Same will happen when those staffs offer Indiana kids.   They will have an uphill battle.    Geography will always be  a bigger piece of the recruiting puzzle then fans want to think it is.  

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Is Stuhoo and the gifs prepared for this? 

Is Woodson getting spoofed? 

This guy is waiting. Do you think that Queen knows this?

More importantly, do you think he will ever dance in the Sisley or Haralson thread?

Maryland Flag GIF - Maryland Flag Dance GIFs

23 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Nah just in big time recruitments against a program that now has a staff focused on keeping their home based talent to stay in the area.    Same will happen when those staffs offer Indiana kids.   They will have an uphill battle.    Geography will always be  a bigger piece of the recruiting puzzle then fans want to think it is.  

True, unless you got the bags and the swags.

Which we clearly don’t,  yet. 

Going 0-3 against Maryland for 3 prioritized recruits in one recruiting cycle would paint an ugly picture.  

But I don’t have the answers.  

17 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

This guy is waiting. Do you think that Queen knows this?

More importantly, do you think he will ever dance in the Sisley or Haralson thread?

Maryland Flag GIF - Maryland Flag Dance GIFs

Lol every time. How much lunch money are we willing to part with, without ever eating a lunch?

No, we will fight actual BIG fish for Haralson and Sisley, but Maryland won’t be one of them. 

We should have the same advantage I these but we’ll see. 

Booker, I guess, was this years equivalent. We didn’t want him though.  

15 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Going 0-3 against Maryland for 3 prioritized recruits in one recruiting cycle would paint an ugly picture.  

So if Willard offers Sisley and Haralson and strikes out would that be a concern for him?

The more legitimate criticism is whether we are spending too much time and effort on recruits that we are not the most likely choice for.

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Depends if you view it as 0-3.  Woody closing Malik before he even stepped  foot on Maryland’s campus like he was suppose to  in the cycle before might soften the blow of losing out on a recruit like Kaiser for some people.     Depends on how each poster view things.   For me I posted a Scott Van Pelt mem in the Kaiser thread back in June because at the time they were the team that was getting the buzz.  They delayed their decision and IU ended up getting their visit but from my view it was going to be tough to beat the home team.    I think he was waiting on a North Carolina offer that never came.    I personally wouldn’t add DHS as a recruiting miss against Maryland.   Others can and will consider it Willard mopping the floor with Woodson for getting a local kid but from I saw posted other places I knew not to pay attention to that recruitment not too long after his visit and it was hinted that came from IU’s side.   Recruiting never stops so looking forward to where they go from here.   IU’s first cycle turned out to be way better then expected and something that usually doesn’t happen in someone’s first cycle.  IU has giving itself some wiggle room to miss out on some of its top targets in its second cycle.   No wiggle room from fans though 

Exactly. Your part 2 is the point. 

You would of been ok with IU just focusing on Brady Dunlap instead of using an assistants connection to try and go after someone else like Kaiser that the staff felt was worth the risk of him not ending up at IU?    Big boy recruiting means you are going to hear no more then you hear yes.  

IU could of just offered Dunlap and wrapped the recruitment up probably in a matter of weeks after they would of offered.    Posters would of killed the staff for settling for a kid ranked in the 130-150 area and asking why they didn’t push for others.    No win situation 

You would of been ok with IU just focusing on Brady Dunlap instead of using an assistants connection to try and go after someone else like Kaiser that the staff felt was worth the risk of him not ending up at IU?    Big boy recruiting means you are going to hear no more then you hear yes.  

IU could of just offered Dunlap and wrapped the recruitment up probably in a matter of weeks after they would of offered.    Posters would of killed the staff for settling for a kid ranked in the 130-150 area and asking why they didn’t push for others.    No win situation 

The fans want IU to behave and recruit like a blue blood (many of them). The administration hasn’t given a rats @$$ to be a blue blood in actions. Maybe, now we do? Or is it all window dressing?

Blue Bloods find ways to get the players they need to win. I don’t care what a recruit is ranked if the staff wins with the strategy. HOWEVER, for years I’m on record with wanting to get top end talent, like most coaches are.

If we are offering top end NIL potential, let’s get top end talent. Potentially losing 3 primary targets to Maryland even if they are home area kids is bad for optics if we want our optics to be that of a Blue Blood.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

The fans want IU to behave and recruit like a blue blood (many of them). The administration hasn’t given a rats @$$ to be a blue blood in actions. Maybe, now we do? Or is it all window dressing?

Blue Bloods find ways to get the players they need to win. I don’t care what a recruit is ranked if the staff wins with the strategy. HOWEVER, for years I’m on record with wanting to get top end talent, like most coaches are.

If we are offering top end NIL potential, let’s get top end talent. Potentially losing 3 primary targets to Maryland even if they are home area kids is bad for optics if we want our optics to be that of a Blue Blood.

Bad optics for you but I don't see it that way.  Kaiser grew up a huge Maryland fan and we came in late and got him to delay his commitment.  DHS we came in very late in his recruitment and probably didn't have a great chance.

Before we start acting like a blue blood again, it would probably be a good idea for Woody to get the guys past the round of 64.

That is why getting Race, Trayce, and X to return is a massive step toward our return. It will be absolutely nauseating for Purdue, UK, and others if we are a top ten team this year and the human interest stories on Mike Woodson and his resurrection of IU start flooding the college basketball world, complete with accolades from Carmelo, Chris Paul, Doc Rivers, and Isiah Thomas. Hell, it's already going to be that way during the prime-time telecast of the UNC and Arizona games. That's how returning to a blue blood will progress. Anything other expectations is putting the cart before the horse.

16 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

You are correct it would  be bad optics for the IU fans that worry more about what the outside world think about how IU is viewed in the college basketball world but honesty other then those fans the college basketball world isn’t going to see it has bad optics for IU missing out on potentially  3 out of state recruits to the home team.    Not one college basketball reporter that reported Kaiser picking Maryland brought up the fact that the IU staff was in trouble because they didn’t land him from what I saw.   The blue blood thing is what it is and isn’t going to change.    Sometimes I think some IU fans are more worried about what other fan bases think about where IU stands in the landscape of college basketball then they are watching the games.   It’s interesting to follow.   

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

You are correct it would  be bad optics for the IU fans that worry more about what the outside world think about how IU is viewed in the college basketball world but honesty other then those fans the college basketball world isn’t going to see it has bad optics for IU missing out on potentially  3 out of state recruits to the home team.    Not one college basketball reporter that reported Kaiser picking Maryland brought up the fact that the IU staff was in trouble because they didn’t land him from what I saw.   The blue blood thing is what it is and isn’t going to change.    Sometimes I think some IU fans are more worried about what other fan bases think about where IU stands in the landscape of college basketball then they are watching the games.   It’s interesting to follow.   

To me some fans will always find the negative side of things where others find positive s in things

Professional and “Semi-Professional” Sports are about winning. Winners want to be at the Pinnacle. Comparing your program to others is the natural state of things. If Indiana can get to the top tier that should be the goal to re-achieve the Blue Blood status. Where you are viewed by other fanbases is ultimately where you are viewed by the recruits and the talking heads. In the end, that is probably to most important aspect of Continuing success.

23 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Professional and “Semi-Professional” Sports are about winning. Winners want to be at the Pinnacle. Comparing your program to others is the natural state of things. If Indiana can get to the top tier that should be the goal to re-achieve the Blue Blood status. Where you are viewed by other fanbases is ultimately where you are viewed by the recruits and the talking heads. In the end, that is probably to most important aspect of Continuing success.

Seen plenty of talking heads and recruits still refer to IU as a blue blood even with their lack of success of the last couple decades.    IUs on court results still sucked despite people viewing them as a blue blood.    I could care less what other fan bases think about where IU stands.  Most Recruits could care less where fan bases view teams they are interested in.   More worried about Madden and Fortnite then they are if someone views the school they are interested as a blue blood or not.    

5 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Seen plenty of talking heads and recruits still refer to IU as a blue blood even with their lack of success of the last couple decades.    IUs on court results still sucked despite people viewing them as a blue blood.    I could care less what other fan bases think about where IU stands.  Most Recruits could care less where fan bases view teams they are interested in.   More worried about Madden and Fortnite then they are if someone views the school they are interested as a blue blood or not.    

You are missing my point.  Call it Blue Blood, Call it Elite. Call it a top recruiting school.  The way fanbases view Indiana is likely also how the recruit views Indiana.  It’s the mantra, the presence.   Winning is the most important factor but other factors can help that as well.  Program momentum.  Which recruits you get.  How they perform.  Top players play together and talk.  

The only 2 quantifiable measuring sticks are wins on the court and wins in recruiting.  We are off to a good start but ‘23 recruiting doesn’t indicate the results of a program build.  You’d think playing time available and JHS, Malik Reneau and NIL would have made us highly desirable.  And if we aren’t, why not?