Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) PF - Derik Queen to Maryland

2 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

In fairness, Cody had the option to be a one and done, he was a first rounder, but he chose to come back.

JHS is a (deserved) 5 star point guard, he's already been working out with Paul George in Cali, doing the CPIII camp coming up, etc. He has exceptional size and strength for a point and is widely recognized as elite. He's very different from a frosh Vic, JBJ, or OG. 

Are you suggesting the recruiting rankings are way off on JHS?  Cody was also close to being a top 10 recruit too. We’ve had a decent amount of 30ish ranked players and all of them have needed some time to adjust to college

27 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Are you suggesting the recruiting rankings are way off on JHS?  Cody was also close to being a top 10 recruit too. We’ve had a decent amount of 30ish ranked players and all of them have needed some time to adjust to college

Honestly not that focused on the rankings though JSH is a 5-star recruit -- (18 on Rivals, 23 on 247, 24 by espn). He has a pro-ready body and size (and good for his position), pro-ready ability, is already considered a strong defender, etc., and has been getting recognized for it, along with working out with guys like PG. He has the tools coming in.

It’s correct to say some folks saw Bates, Lander, etc. as one and done, so maybe this is splitting hairs…but I’m gonna split them anyway.

You can find one or two folks on any message board saying “[top 100 recruit] is OAD.” Sometimes they’re right: I would’ve thought you were crazy to say it about Blake Wesley, but it was correct in that case.

However — and I’m not trying to criticize folks who thought this about Lander or Bates or whomever — more often they’re wrong. OADs tend to be too ~15-20 in their class, and usually they’re particular player types: a lead guard with NBA size, 3-and-D wing 6’8” or above with some projection, skilled front court player, defensive big with athleticism and so on. They’re typically not underweight reclassing up PGs, or 2-guards who need to put on 40 pounds.

So yes, some folks might’ve said that in the past. I haven’t thought it about a Hoosier since Romeo. And it may not be true about JHS — of course I hope he has a great year AND sticks around for a second one. But a highly ranked PG with size, a pro-ready body, and a base of skills as broad as his…that’s at least the TYPE of player a team would use a 1st round pick on, theoretically.

1 hour ago, lillurk said:

It’s correct to say some folks saw Bates, Lander, etc. as one and done, so maybe this is splitting hairs…but I’m gonna split them anyway.

You can find one or two folks on any message board saying “[top 100 recruit] is OAD.” Sometimes they’re right: I would’ve thought you were crazy to say it about Blake Wesley, but it was correct in that case.

However — and I’m not trying to criticize folks who thought this about Lander or Bates or whomever — more often they’re wrong. OADs tend to be too ~15-20 in their class, and usually they’re particular player types: a lead guard with NBA size, 3-and-D wing 6’8” or above with some projection, skilled front court player, defensive big with athleticism and so on. They’re typically not underweight reclassing up PGs, or 2-guards who need to put on 40 pounds.

So yes, some folks might’ve said that in the past. I haven’t thought it about a Hoosier since Romeo. And it may not be true about JHS — of course I hope he has a great year AND sticks around for a second one. But a highly ranked PG with size, a pro-ready body, and a base of skills as broad as his…that’s at least the TYPE of player a team would use a 1st round pick on, theoretically.

I thought the same thing!  Based on his size and skill set, he could be a strong candidate as a OAD!  It will only help with him working with Chris Paul too!

4 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Queen has scheduled an OV but details are behind the 247 paywall.  The teaser also mentions that he has the option to re-class and be in the '23 class.

If he reclassifies and comes here would that effect Page or would Page committing here keep Queen from coming here.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

If he reclassifies and comes here would that effect Page or would Page committing here keep Queen from coming here.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Id rather have queen tbh

Id rather have queen tbh

The timing of this, to me, screams we don’t feel confident about getting Page IF we push for a reclass here. And with Maryland being a strong factor here, Stuhoo might get to post his new favorite gif when Willard eats Woodson’s lunch again.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

33 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

The timing of this, to me, screams we don’t feel confident about getting Page IF we push for a reclass here. And with Maryland being a strong factor here, Stuhoo might get to post his new favorite gif when Willard eats Woodson’s lunch again. emoji23.png

Lol true. Im pretty confident well land page just based off of everything from the forums. I was just saying id rather land queen over him but striking out on both would suck

48 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

The timing of this, to me, screams we don’t feel confident about getting Page IF we push for a reclass here. And with Maryland being a strong factor here, Stuhoo might get to post his new favorite gif when Willard eats Woodson’s lunch again. emoji23.png

Page and Queen don't play the same spots. We need to restock the front court after this year. Queen is the type of talent you take whenever you're fortunate enough to get a commitment.

Maybe IU lands Page, or maybe they don't. Queen's visit doesn't seem to be part of that equation. Plus IU has been wanting to schedule Queen's visit for a long time. This didn't come together over night. This visit and practically all visits take a while to coordinate. 

10 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I don't know if there is a real connection. THe Queen reclassficaton  has been on the table for a long time, and if he does reclass I think its IU for sure. As far as Page I think we are pushing for his commitment. Staff has felt very good about our position. I feel we would take both and I dont see either not coming because of the other. Staff does not want to have to resort to the portal to fill the bigs spot. 

9 hours ago, ziggyiu said:

Page and Queen don't play the same spots. We need to restock the front court after this year. Queen is the type of talent you take whenever you're fortunate enough to get a commitment.

Maybe IU lands Page, or maybe they don't. Queen's visit doesn't seem to be part of that equation. Plus IU has been wanting to schedule Queen's visit for a long time. This didn't come together over night. This visit and practically all visits take a while to coordinate. 

You said it much better than I. Spot on accessment

12 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We are losing 60+ mpg at the 4/5 spots. Any top 50 player can envision multiple positions with a clear path to significant playing time.

I do not know if we will get Page, Queen, both, or neither, but I am reasonably certain that one's decision will not negatively affect the other's.

In fact, having multiple high-level bigs on a roster is often an attractive developmental factor, especially for Montverde kids who have already experienced the benefit of playing fewer minutes at first, while learning from high-level teammates. Hopefully Page can also see that benefit.

23 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

We are losing 60+ mpg at the 4/5 spots. Any top 50 player can envision multiple positions with a clear path to significant playing time.

I do not know if we will get Page, Queen, both, or neither, but I am reasonably certain that one's decision will not negatively affect the others.

In fact, having multiple high-level bigs on a roster is often an attractive developmental factor, especially for Montverde kids who have already experienced the benefit of playing fewer minutes at first, while learning from high-level teammates. Hopefully Page can also see that benefit.

Yeah, I mostly agree.  We do have tons of PT availability to sell at the 4/5.  A big part of me thinks we want an experienced big from the transfer market though.  Taking Page and a re-Classed Queen would be a great recruiting class but would put a lot of weight on the shoulders of young bigs.  Don't get me wrong, If you can get these 2, you do it.  

18 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yeah, I mostly agree.  We do have tons of PT availability to sell at the 4/5.  A big part of me thinks we want an experienced big from the transfer market though.  Taking Page and a re-Classed Queen would be a great recruiting class but would put a lot of weight on the shoulders of young bigs.  Don't get me wrong, If you can get these 2, you do it.  

Hopefully as a junior Duncomb will be ready to be in the rotation.  Also I feel Reneau by his sophomore year will be a legit all big ten player

36 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Hopefully as a junior Duncomb will be ready to be in the rotation.  Also I feel Reneau by his sophomore year will be a legit all big ten player

Sure seems that way.  Would be interesting to see how the practices go with TJD, Race, Duncomb, and Reneau.  I imagine if Duncomb isn't in line for regular PT by Junior season he may look for PT.  

11 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Sure seems that way.  Would be interesting to see how the practices go with TJD, Race, Duncomb, and Reneau.  I imagine if Duncomb isn't in line for regular PT by Junior season he may look for PT.  

I could see Duncomb making a move to Xavier or UC at some point for PT.   Especially if Wes Miller or Sean Miller has success.

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/recruiting-rumor-mill-visits-in-full-swing-across-the-country

Blurb from Cassidy on Queen’s impending visit. Not sure there’s anything terribly insightful here, but it does somewhat validate what we all assume to be the state of things.

15 hours ago, rayl456 said:
On 9/7/2022 at 7:49 AM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I could see Duncomb making a move to Xavier or UC at some point for PT.   Especially if Wes Miller or Sean Miller has success.

After not transferring out this off season why would he consider it next season. He knows the rotation this season isn't changing and stayed, so he appears in it for the long haul which is what we want. Keep in mind he was a solid 4 star recruit and got the best of Kaleb Furst in HS. The potential is clearly there. Now if a freshman comes in next year that reclassified up and is better prepared for the B1G then maybe Duncomb is out of his league and transfers. Don't see it happening or a need to speculate at this point.

On 9/6/2022 at 7:31 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Queen has scheduled an OV but details are behind the 247 paywall.  The teaser also mentions that he has the option to re-class and be in the '23 class.

The last weekend of the month, per Lasley. He’s visiting with Liam McNeeley.