Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) PF - Derik Queen to Maryland

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Well I would assume Malik, our 5 star Top 30 ranked PF would start as a SO.... and Duncomb or a grad transfer would be the big. 

Or... just run JG at the 4 and Malik at the 5. Not sure we have a ton of rim protection that way, but we should be ultra skilled offensively with those dudes. I don't think Harris-Smith or Kaiser would have played a meaningful minute for us as a FR, not one. I do hope we can land Page though, offers some depth, then find a GT big, as well. 

Yeah, That's my take.  I've said numerous times the Kaiser/DHS misses don't bother me much because I didn't see either of them getting a lot of minutes early either.  Geronimo at the 4 might be great but I hate to give up 2-3 inches but maybe his athleticism can eliminate that.  I really hope we can get a legit 5 with size and length so Reneau can be our 4.   

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yeah, That's my take.  I've said numerous times the Kaiser/DHS misses don't bother me much because I didn't see either of them getting a lot of minutes early either.  Geronimo at the 4 might be great but I hate to give up 2-3 inches but maybe his athleticism can eliminate that.  I really hope we can get a legit 5 with size and length so Reneau can be our 4.   

I don't necessarily know that guy (a rim protector) would have to start, but 100% agree, we need one, at least for 15-20mins a night. 

Maybe Logan is that guy by then. 

10 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Pro

9 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Boy, that would be great!  But that would make the 23 class even that much more important.  TRANSFER PORTAL beckons......

Stuhoo, if you think JHS is one and done, I’m curious 1. How good you think he’ll be this year and 2. How good you think IU will be this year. 

8 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Stuhoo, if you think JHS is one and done, I’m curious 1. How good you think he’ll be this year and 2. How good you think IU will be this year. 

1. Very. But without overwhelming stats. Maybe a two year player because with Trayce gone, there’s gonna be a six figure NIL waiting for someone.

2. Inconsistent but very good. Top 15 in country good, but maybe with a few early losses because of the four very tough pre-conference games. Talented and good enough to be one of the ten or so teams capable of winning a national championship. Especially if we can get 35+% outside shooting from two of: Tamar, JHS, Race, and (30%+) from Trey

45 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

1. Very. But without overwhelming stats. Maybe a two year player because with Trayce gone, there’s gonna be a six figure NIL waiting for someone.

2. Inconsistent but very good. Top 15 in country good, but maybe with a few early losses because of the four very tough pre-conference games. Talented and good enough to be one of the ten or so teams capable of winning a national championship. Especially if we can get 35+% outside shooting from two of: Tamar, JHS, Race, and (30%+) from Trey

Thanks for the response. I’m on the same page.

57 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

IU has to win early. We are returning 4 starters and starting 3 seniors. 

that’s should benefit us early in the season when teams with younger talent are still trying to figure things out.

if IU struggles in those early matchups I will be very concerned - there is no reason for that

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

And prior to that, Lander:)

And very rarely has the player been actual 1 and done material. Romeo. Vonleh. EG. that's it and that's over a long period. A lot of 2-3 year talent (Cody, Vic, TB, JBJ, Troy, OG, etc).

I would not be shocked if JHS is 1 and done btw but just saying it is not common. 

Honest question...is Maryland just following IU and Woody around, offering every recruit we offer? Sure seems like their game right now. "We have no one on the roster, you get an immediate starting spot unlike IU". These last few don't feel like they ever gave IU a realistic shot. Pretty crazy for a program with a large question mark over their heads. I'm not worried about recruiting at all, especially once we prove ourselves on the court this year. These last few just smell a bit...

9 hours ago, BtownStrength said:

And very rarely has the player been actual 1 and done material. Romeo. Vonleh. EG. that's it and that's over a long period. A lot of 2-3 year talent (Cody, Vic, TB, JBJ, Troy, OG, etc).

I would not be shocked if JHS is 1 and done btw but just saying it is not common. 

And every one of our 1 and dones have been top 10 recruits - EG, Vonleh and Romeo. JHS is a top 30. That doesn’t mean he can’t be but he would be the first in IU history to be a 1 and done and not a top 10 recruit 

12 hours ago, BtownStrength said:

In fairness, Cody had the option to be a one and done, he was a first rounder, but he chose to come back.

JHS is a (deserved) 5 star point guard, he's already been working out with Paul George in Cali, doing the CPIII camp coming up, etc. He has exceptional size and strength for a point and is widely recognized as elite. He's very different from a frosh Vic, JBJ, or OG. 

3 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

IU used Hunters DMV connection to get in with these kids.    Staff at Maryland before ticked off the wrong people with certain AAU teams and made recruiting in that area way harder then it ever should be for a hometown team.      Willard hired 2 assistants with strong ties to that area and is trying to establish that connection again.     Hometown teams with the right people in place are always going to be tough to be best out for hometown kids.    It’s a reason to Look  forward to the 2025 class in Indiana.   IU should be in very good position as the hometown team with recruits that IU will go hard after 

Great info

2 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

In fairness, Cody had the option to be a one and done, he was a first rounder, but he chose to come back.

JHS is a (deserved) 5 star point guard, he's already been working out with Paul George in Cali, doing the CPIII camp coming up, etc. He has exceptional size and strength for a point and is widely recognized as elite. He's very different from a frosh Vic, JBJ, or OG. 

Good point about Cody. Looking back, at the time i thought he would leave after his freshman year.