Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) PF - Derik Queen to Maryland

Rob Cassidy - Rivals

One of the top power forwards in the class of 2024, Derik Queen has seen scholarship offers arrive early. Playing this season at Florida’s famed Montverde Academy has further increased his exposure, and additional college coaches are beginning to kick the tires on this recruitment.

Rivals.com recently caught up with the young prospect to talk about the schools that are pursuing him and what might be next.

IN HIS WORDS ON SCHOOLS IN THE MIX

"I’m talking to basically all the schools that have offered, but the last one was DePaul."

ON DEPAUL

“They’re just telling me how much they like me. Nothing too serious or anything.”

ON HIS CURRENT OFFERS

“Maryland, DePaul, Alabama, Georgetown and I can't even remember the others right now.”

ON MARYLAND

“I’ve been to Maryland for some basketball games, but I don't really know a lot about the school or anything yet. Danny Manning, he just got the [interim] job. He came to a lot of my AAU games.”

ON DANNY MANNING

“I know he did well at Wake Forest and I know he went to the league.”

ON POSSIBLE FUTURE VISITS

“Texas and Indiana, maybe. Texas has talked to me more but I have [teammates Texas signee] Dillon [Mitchell] and [Indiana signee] Jalen [Hood-Schifino] talking to me about those a lot obviously."

Queen is originally from the Baltimore area, so the fact that schools such as Maryland and Georgetown are making early pushes is no surprise. Whether or not either school will be around for the long haul is anyone’s guess, especially when it comes to Maryland, which remains in the market for a head coach.

Still, the two programs are in as good a position as any at this juncture. Queen’s recruitment is in its early stages and will change significantly in the year ahead.

Jamie Shaw from Day 2 of the Montverde Academy Inv. Tour. - 

This was a complete game for Queen as he showcased different pieces of his vast skill set. In the first half, Queen started on the block. He set up big, showed patience and footwork, and finished with both hands around the basket. Queen showed perimeter skills in the second half as he initiated offense and knocked down a three. Queen is one of the nation’s top prospects in his class. Every one of his team-high 12 points showed why tonight.

Recruitment: Mentions DePaul, Indiana, and Texas, among others. He will start visiting schools his junior season.

Montverde's regular season has ended with a 20-4 record.  I cannot find detailed stats for every game but this is what I have for Queen.

• Pts - 19 gms:  5.2
  • Reb - 18 gms:  3.7
  • Asst - 18 gms:  .5
  • Stl - 18 gms:   .5
  • Blks - 18 gms:  .5
  • TOs - 18  gms:  .6

Stock Risers and forwards to keep an eye on.

6-9 Derik Queen

The skill is what pops with Queen. He is comfortable on the ball, handling in the full or half-court, and scoring at each level. He can score on the block with his size and sturdy frame, with touch over both shoulders. Queen can also finish in the mid-range or catch and shoot threes. There are questions about his athleticism and explosion, but his production at Montverde (FL) Academy speaks for itself with talent toward the top of this class.

Claimed offers: Indiana, Arizona State, Georgetown, Virginia Tech, Texas, LSU, DePaul, Auburn, Xavier, Maryland, etc.

Eric Bossi  --  

Currently ranked No. 10 in the class of 2024 by 247Sports, 6-foot-9 post player Derik Queen is coming off of a quiet sophomore season at mighty Montverde (Fla.) Academy. That’s not a concern because underclassmen don’t often put-up huge numbers there and the team is always loaded up with dudes. Even if there were any concerns – and there weren’t -- that Queen might be a little over ranked at this point, he quieted them in a major way with his play in Kansas City.

Playing in the 17U division with Team Thrill, the Baltimore native played as well as we have ever seen him play. He was catching in the high post and blowing by other bigs off the dribble to convert at the rim, he was scoring in the post, he was rebounding and showing off great hands, footwork and touch along the way. Simply put, when he wanted to go and score, he was pretty much unguardable.

Queen is in the process of changing his body and the result is more quickness and sneaky burst around the rim. The next step for him to become a truly great prospect is for him to play with the same energy that he does when the ball is in his hands when he is away from the ball. He’s no stranger to the big time and has offers from the likes of Alabama, Arizona State, Auburn, Georgetown, Indiana, Maryland, Syracuse and others with more to come.