Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) PF - Derik Queen to Maryland

Rivals will release its first top 40 rankings for the '24 class on Wednesday. 

From Dan McDonald in a warm-up for Wednesday's release  - Derik Queen was one of the more dominant prospects I saw this summer in the 2024 class. He’s already so big and strong, but he’s also a very skilled all-around player. He can play both around the basket and be physically imposing, and he’s also comfortable playing on the perimeter. He’s without question one of the top prospects in the country.

Had a chance to watch Montverde's game on Saturday against Central Pointe.  It was a mismatch from the start and Montverde won 75-47 but what a pleasure it was to watch Jalen.  Non-stop motor, very active on defense, great court awareness.  I had him with 13 pts on 6-11 FG; 1-5 on 3s; 9 reb; 9 asst; 2 stl in what I estimate was 24 min. of court time.

Also holding IU  offers from Montverde are '23 Kwame Evans and '24 Derik Queen.  Evans played about 14 min. scoring 8 pts. on 2-2 on 3s; 2-2 FT; 1 stl.  Queen played about 10 min. and was scoreless going 0-4 FG but did have 4 reb.

Montverde is so deep in talent and underclassmen have to be willing to bide their time.  

From 247 Sports per Holiday Hoopsgiving in Atlanta:

Listed at 220 pounds, Queen has a big-bodied physique right now with a big lower base that he uses quite well for a younger player.

He’s basically a power forward/center at this stage of his development.

Queen showed a nice ability to establish position in and around the post, showed good feet and good hands to catch entry passes. He had several nice short-space moves, using a pivot foot very well for a sophomore and staying on balance while engaged with a defender for a nice up-and-under move.

Queen isn’t a big vertical athlete at this stage of his development. He had 10 points on 5-for-6 shooting, all at or around the rim, with one rebound in 15 minutes.

Queen's stats for his 2 games at the City of Palms Classic.  No minutes played were provided.

12/18 a 76-51 win over Berkmar 2 pts on 1-3 FT; 0 3s; 0-3 FT; 8 reb; 1 asst; 0 stl; 1 blk; 1 TO

12/20 a 75-34 win over Orlando Christian 8 pts on 2-8 FG; 0-3 on 3s; 4-6 FT; 10 reb; 3 asst; 2 stl; 1 blk; 2 TO.

Comment on Queen from the City of Palms Classic  --  While Derik Queen of Montverde may not wow you on the stat sheet because of the talent on his team, you can see flashes of what he can do. I saw him at the NBPA Top 100 Camp back in July where he was the only kid in the 2024 class that got an invite. He has a big, strong frame that he utilizes to play bully ball. He also moves really well for his size. He will take on a much bigger role for Montverde when their stellar class of 2022 graduates.

21 hours ago, rcs29 said:

Ok everytime I see this thread title I swear it says Dairy Queen......then I instantly want a butterfinger blizzard

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

100% for me too.  I can't see anything about him without wanting a Blizzard.  No telling how much weight I will gain if this kid ultimately becomes a Hoosier.

La Porte Invitational Jan. 6, 7 & 8.  All games will be televised on ESPNU.  Chance to watch a number of IU offers and a couple with possible IU interest:

Coen Carr - Legacy Early  College

Jalen Hood-Schifino, K.J. Evans and Derik Queen - Montverde

Anthony Gilkes '24 - IMG

Christian Humphrey-Rembert '24 - La Lumiere

image.png

image.png

image.png

Point Guard Eyes @PointGuardEyes

'24 @derikqueen1 was excellent in limited mins in the W for @MVABasketball.  The 6'8" F is so patient and smart w/ the ball in his hands.  Displayed that soft touch, high IQ, and a pretty left-handed jump hook in the lane.  Finished w/ 10p on 4-5 shooting (2-2 FT).

NOTE:  Box score has him with 8  pts. on 3-4 FG and 2-2 FT.