Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

#9 IUMS @ #16 Akron - 9/10/21 @ 7:00

IU finally looked like a title contender that half despite not scoring. Best 45 minutes of season against the best team we have played. For first time we put it all together and were rock solid on D, dominated the pace of play, controlled most of the possession and created many good opportunities.

You play like that the rest of year and no one after tonight (besides maybe PSU and Maryland) will stand a chance of beating IU. Just need to bottle it up and do that remainder of season and we will be in great shape.

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I just don’t even know.  I guess if this season can be the inverse of last season I’ll take it. By that I mean a less than successful regular season with a successful postseason. But god this season has been crazy so far 

We play like this rest of yr regardless of result tonight and it will be successful season.

OT. Akron put a little bit of an assault on us after they tied it but D held up. Between level of play and atmosphere this feels like a College Cup match. Very possible these teams meet again in Cary three months from today.

Important to remember regardless how this ends the season goes on and we have plenty of positives to take away. Also no PK's tonight if still tied after two 10 min golden goal OT's.  

3 minutes ago, Zachetology said:

Akron has looked like the better team tonight. It would be nice to steal one on the road.

Not at all true. They did the last 15 min. but IU played far and away their best soccer first 75 minutes of match and controlled pace of play. 

ND game they were better team and we stole it. Tonight we would very much earn it if we score in OT.

3 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Not at all true. They did the last 15 min. but IU played far and away their best soccer first 75 minutes of match and controlled pace of play. 

ND game they were better team and we stole it. Tonight we would very much earn it.

I thought the first half was even and the second half was close until Akron had a barrage of chances at the end. Both goals were legit but it felt like Akron could have put in another two or three. We didn't have as many great chances.

Game ends in a tie.

Not an unfair result between two elite soccer teams and would not be surprised if we rematch in NCAA tournament sometime in either Elite 8 or College Cup.

IU was probably slightly better side and the Akron goalie kept IU from scoring about four more with several amazing saves. Any other game besides Maryland and maybe PSU and Bezerra has at least two goals tonight. Glad to see he is healthy and once we resume play I expect the goals to come in bunches if we play like that. For the first time Sarver, Mihalic, Bezerra, Wittenbrink and Endeley were all good at once and against any other team besides Maryland and maybe PSU we walk away with 3-4 more goals. 

Just play like that the rest of year and we will win pretty much every game left (I would say only possible ties and losses are Maryland and PSU if that happens) on the schedule. That was the hardest part of it and besides a decent VCU team and good PSU and Maryland teams in Big Ten, our hardest games are behind us now.   

For the first time this season the team IU put out there tonight looked like a National Title Contender and just need to keep it up as we go into lesser competition now. Not many more teams will be able to keep up with Akron this year besides maybe West Virginia (yes West Virginia is a MAC Team for soccer only and very good) so good result.   

31 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Hopefully we do. But this team has only been consistent at being inconsistent. So I’m still skeptical. 

Agreed but hopefully tonight unlocked something and team sees what happens when they play to their potential. For first time this year IU looked like a team that could compete for a National Title and we need that to continue.

44 minutes ago, Zachetology said:

I thought the first half was even and the second half was close until Akron had a barrage of chances at the end. Both goals were legit but it felt like Akron could have put in another two or three. We didn't have as many great chances.

Again I don't know what game you were watching.

Besides that last 15 min of regulation where Akron indeed had a barrage of chances as you said, IU had far and away the better opportunities tonight. Only the Akron goalie's Houdini act kept about 4-5 more IU goals from going in. Celentano did need to make several saves, but they were all relatively easy besides one tougher one he made on a dive.

Hopefully team is finally hitting their stride now and for the first time this season looked like a team that could compete for a National Title.