Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Brian Walsh

Thought that Brian Walsh deserved his own thread, because it seems as though he is crushing it on behalf of the program. Before this season he appeared to be a young guy that followed Archie around and stayed in the background.

However, people in the program who stayed into the Woodson era were apparently big fans, and when Archie left he got a substantial promotion. 

He's got a great background as a player, and both Woody and recruits have been mentioning him as a key figure in our recruiting. In fact, as soon as an assistant job opens up I fully expect he will be the natural choice.

Brian Walsh

• Brian Walsh is in his fifth season with the Indiana men’s basketball program and first as Team and Recruiting Coordinator after serving four years as the Director of Basketball Operations.

• Prior to IU, Walsh spent three years on the staff at the University of Dayton with Archie Miller where he served as the Assistant Director of Basketball Operations for one year and a graduate assistant for two seasons.  During his time at Dayton, the Flyer’s went 76-25, the most wins in a three-year span in program history.  While at Dayton, the Flyer’s advanced to three straight NCAA tournaments and claimed back-to-back regular-season Atlantic 10 championships in 2015-2016 and 2016-2017. In the summer of 2015, Walsh earned a master’s degree in educational leadership.

• In his role at Dayton, Walsh assisted with every aspect of the program, including underclassman recruiting, on campus recruiting, day-to-day administrative duties, academic services, housing, player services, community relations, and team meals.  He served as the director of the Archie Miller Team Camp and had responsibilities related to video, team travel, and summer camp operations.

• Walsh graduated from the University of Akron in 2012, earning his bachelor’s degree in business administration, before earning a master’s in sports administration from Akron in 2013. While at Akron, he led the Zips and the MAC in three-point field goal percentage as a junior hitting 44.2% from long distance in league play.  Overall, he finished second in the conference shooting 43.4% from beyond the arc.

• A two-time academic All-MAC honoree, Walsh shot 40.9% from three-point range during his collegiate career.  He averaged 8.3 ppg as a junior and 7.2 ppg as a senior captain, helping the Zips to 48 wins in two seasons and securing a regular-season and conference tournament championship in 2013, advancing to the NCAA Tournament.

• Before transferring to Akron, Walsh was a member of Xavier University’s basketball team from 2008-2010 where they advanced to back-to-back Sweet Sixteen appearances. 

• A native of Moon Township, Pennsylvania, Walsh averaged 19.7 points, 7.6 rebounds, and 2.5 assists as a senior at Moon High School and was named Gatorade Player of the Year in Pennsylvania in 2008.

29 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Isn't this the guy who was selling all his IU gear on FB marketplace after Archie's firing? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Yes.

Times have changed dramatically apparently.

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Was their context to why he was selling his stuff.  Was it he was expecting to get fired and needed money?  Or anger over the firing of Archie?

yeah I think he was expecting to have to change jobs and go to another school. Had no need for the IU gear anymore. 

Nothing wrong with that imo

26 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

yeah I think he was expecting to have to change jobs and go to another school. Had no need for the IU gear anymore. 

Nothing wrong with that imo

Still weird to sell it though. Nobody employed by this program is hurting for cash.

Do the Galloway Purdue gear method and just leave stuff in boxes on the front lawn.

He was on with Coyle a while ago and evidently is diving head first into the NIL waters to help players. Not sure if he's leading the charge, or just another admin guy, but he sure seemed knowledgeable about it, and that IU was in the forefront of it, and way ahead of other schools (not all, just some)

37 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Still weird to sell it though. Nobody employed by this program is hurting for cash.

Do the Galloway Purdue gear method and just leave stuff in boxes on the front lawn.

I mean as easy as it is to sell stuff on FB these days and being in Bloomington, not sure that makes it weird today. He was going to get rid of it one way or another. 

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

He was Director of Basketball Operations. Unless IU was paying way more than other schools, it looks like he was making $40k-60k per year. Even at those levels it's not so much that a few extra bucks wouldn't hurt. He certainly wasn't getting rich on that salary. Just because the head coach makes millions and the assistant coaches make hundreds of thousands doesn't mean everyone that works in the program gets that kind of money.

He was Director of Basketball Operations. Unless IU was paying way more than other schools, it looks like he was making $40k-60k per year. Even at those levels it's not so much that a few extra bucks wouldn't hurt. He certainly wasn't getting rich on that salary. Just because the head coach makes millions and the assistant coaches make hundreds of thousands doesn't mean everyone that works in the program gets that kind of money.
IU employee salaries are publicly available. He made $77K last year

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, IGotMeAWoody said:

IU employee salaries are publicly available. He made $77K last year

So more than my google search for the that position's salary turned up but still not a ton of money. It doesn't seem odd to me that someone who makes $77k/year would sell a bunch of school branded clothes he thinks he won't need anymore. And I also wouldn't say that someone making that salary is definitely not hurting for cash as the original poster I responded to said. Especially if a move to another city/state seemed imminent. 

So more than my google search for the that position's salary turned up but still not a ton of money. It doesn't seem odd to me that someone who makes $77k/year would sell a bunch of school branded clothes he thinks he won't need anymore. And I also wouldn't say that someone making that salary is definitely not hurting for cash as the original poster I responded to said. Especially if a move to another city/state seemed imminent. 
I just wanted to share the salary since it was public knowledge instead of leaving it up to speculation. I am not taking any side on the matter.

4 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

I mean as easy as it is to sell stuff on FB these days and being in Bloomington, not sure that makes it weird today. He was going to get rid of it one way or another. 

Sooo simple selling/buying on FBMP. Built a home gym off of stuff people were selling during Covid. 

Good idea for a thread, Stuhoo. From the outside the vigor and success that we’ve seen from Walsh since the regime change signals good things for the program: not to impugn the prior staff or Walsh’s prior work, but it tells me Woody etc. will empower staffers (and by extension players) to expand their abilities, contribute, and receive credit for their efforts. That’s good leadership.