Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - PG Miro Little to Baylor

On 1/27/2022 at 4:09 PM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

emoji1374.png. Like this kid a lot. My favorite prospect of Newton/Little/Cupps, but all 3 offer some promise.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I’m a big Newton fan. Think he’s going to be a 5 star by the time it’s all said and done. 

49 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Wish we could watch some of his games to see the nature of the TOs.  Are they mostly bad passes, poor dribbling, etc?  Right now all we have is a number.

I’m convinced that basketball needs a sabermetic like revolution in stats reporting.  

My working assumption for a number of reasons is that the TOs aren’t a major red flag about him as a prospect, though I don’t have full game tape to confirm the assumption. I could be wrong, obviously. But two reasons not to worry:

1. The other indicators are impressive, from physical archetype to positive statistical accumulation, and at his age you expect you can keep the good stuff while eliminating some of the bad with coaching and reps.

2. It’s also possible you have like a “superstar guard”-style offensive scheme. I’m not calling him a superstar, and I don’t mean to make player comparisons, but think for a moment about NBA players who are the sun, moon, and stars of their team’s offense: tons of pick ‘n’ roll, isolation plays for them out of which they make a play or a read. Those guys rack up plenty of TOs, just as a hazard of the job (and often the teammates who roll, or catch and shoot, don’t account for much ball-handling and thus minimal TOs).

There are not tons of players who can do it at the highest level, of course. But — as an example — if your lead guard averages 4 TOs and 8 assists, and the wings/bigs catching his passes don’t have to do much to have good scoring chances, you can still be an overall low-TO team, you’ve just concentrated the TOs in one offensive hub.

Seems like the videos of him that I've seen (not a large number) show him racing quickly down court with the ball and driving through numerous other players, who do very little to stop him, leading to Miro dunking.  There's a certain reckless quality about his play.  That's how I would describe what I've seen/felt.  Again, this is first impressions on my part.  As long as the staff believes he's a worthwhile recruit, I'm fine.

Little doesn't feel like a 'must have' with Cupps already committed. I'd like to have him, but am not concerned about it. More interested in Parks. Speaking of bigs, I wonder if the portal changes how they are recruited. It might be tempting to let someone else develop a post for 2-3 yrs taking the scholarship hit, then you (IU) picks up a more polished product ready to contribute for a couple of years. 

His full stat line for the above game.  Scored his 34 pts in 36 min. of play.  12-19 FG; 3-7 on 3s; 7-8 FT; 7 reb; 7 asst; 4 stl; 1 blk; 2 TO. 

For 13 games he's averaging 21.6 ppg on 50% FG; 38% on 3s; 68% FT; 9.2 reb; 7.1 asst; 2.1 stl; .6 blk; 4.6 TO.

13 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

His full stat line for the above game.  Scored his 34 pts in 36 min. of play.  12-19 FG; 3-7 on 3s; 7-8 FT; 7 reb; 7 asst; 4 stl; 1 blk; 2 TO. 

For 13 games he's averaging 21.6 ppg on 50% FG; 38% on 3s; 68% FT; 9.2 reb; 7.1 asst; 2.1 stl; .6 blk; 4.6 TO.

Love the low turnovers while playing with the ball in his hands.

Love that with the game on the line they put the ball in his hands and spaced the court.