Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Game Thread: 9/4 @ Iowa - 3:30 - BTN

48 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

For next week, Caleb Jones needs to drop on the depth chart and we need to have open try outs for punter. This Aussie kid isn’t getting it done. 

Will give him another game or two before drawing too many conclusions but if that continues we may have the worst punter in power 5.

44 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

On the bright side, the defense really hasn’t been that bad. 

That was my takeaway as well.  I thought the D could hang and Chuck Campbell's leg looked solid, making the kicks you expect him to make - Penix's touch was clearly off & the offensive play calling...well, that's another story.  

I feel for the players and coaches, get right this week vs. Idaho and change the narrative vs. Cincy.  

That was embarrassing. we’ll see what the culture of this program really is. If it’s truly changed we’ll take this in the chin move on and come back way better. Cincy game is the season. If we lay an egg there my expectations go from high level bowl game to maybe no bowl at all.

Every IU Football fan has that feeling of absolute dread every season, that the football gods simply hate IU, and that we will never see anything good.  Last year, that feeling did not arrive until the final game of the season.  

This year we got that feeling about a minute and a half into the game.

What is left to be said?  Game started with 2 mistakes in 2 series of plays resulting in 2 Iowa TDs.  Lack of containment by our end and a pass that went to our receiver but then into the hands of an Iowa defender for a score.  Down 14 - zip to start but the IU defense stayed relatively solid.  Our offensive line didn't make holes for our backs. Carr averaged 3 yards per carry. Penix was off in the first half...way off.  But the receivers were not in the open.  Something was not right with the slow play on offense and the snap count.  And Iowa has an excellent defense. At least the punting improved after a dismal start.  

Good news is this was a road game against a B1G West team and IU learned a lot.  It really would suck to lose to Iowa if the game was scheduled later in the season.  To me, it looked like the IU team played hard all game.  Iowa's OL and DL are impressive.  And IU's DL seemed up to the task, mostly.

With a better start, maybe IU would have performed better one asks?  No, I answer.  IU's offense needs work.  

The bourbon and the cab sure put a rosy feel on the beautiful Saturday afternoon.  Grilling flank steak...helped to ease the pain of the game.

Turn the page.

3 hours ago, Dave from Dayton said:

What is left to be said?  Game started with 2 mistakes in 2 series of plays resulting in 2 Iowa TDs.  Lack of containment by our end and a pass that went to our receiver but then into the hands of an Iowa defender for a score.  Down 14 - zip to start but the IU defense stayed relatively solid.  Our offensive line didn't make holes for our backs. Carr averaged 3 yards per carry. Penix was off in the first half...way off.  But the receivers were not in the open.  Something was not right with the slow play on offense and the snap count.  And Iowa has an excellent defense. At least the punting improved after a dismal start.  

Good news is this was a road game against a B1G West team and IU learned a lot.  It really would suck to lose to Iowa if the game was scheduled later in the season.  To me, it looked like the IU team played hard all game.  Iowa's OL and DL are impressive.  And IU's DL seemed up to the task, mostly.

With a better start, maybe IU would have performed better one asks?  No, I answer.  IU's offense needs work.  

The bourbon and the cab sure put a rosy feel on the beautiful Saturday afternoon.  Grilling flank steak...helped to ease the pain of the game.

Turn the page.

frustrating to say the least. You know a large Marion's Pizza helps a lot of pain go away. My wife is an Oakwood 86 and UD 90 grad.

Hiya UA!  Yeah, Marion's Pizza is an institution in the Dayton OH area.  Like that it is local and has lots of seating.  

But am a fan of other pizzas and places.  Rip Rap Roadhouse previously Jackass Flats; Manhattan; Jet's; Little York Tavern; some have nice patios.  Like the Dayton area for the huge complex of bike trails; parks; approachable people; cultural advantages including the new Levitt Pavilion that has over 50 free outside music event downtown with beer and wine!  And there is minimal rush hour traffic.  And cost of living is below average.   

Used to live in Evansville; B-town; Madison WI;  Virginia Beach and eastern Connecticut...fun places but love the Midwest.  Waiting for Madison WI to get warmer through global changes...then would seriously consider moving there...if I could turn back the clock.  Would move to S Diego if they got 25 inches of rain a year instead of 2.5" per...and I had an extra $2 million.  You like UA?

Yeah, the game was tough...but we all knew it would be...and it put a big cloud over the program that may last a while.  On the other hand, we did learn a lot and got the twitches behind us.  Tough place to play.

17 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

For next week, Caleb Jones needs to drop on the depth chart and we need to have open try outs for punter. This Aussie kid isn’t getting it done. 

He averaged 42.8 so that is not bad

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just don’t understand how we got this far along in the process and this was the live real-time end results. What were they working on the last however many months. Yes, he’s from New Zealand. I get it. But we recruited him to play football. I’m sure he worked on some prep aside from leg strengthening and stretching exercises before he arrived. Granted, it could be the first game jitters and I’m willing to provide the benefit of the doubt. But c’mon man. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Yea, if you just look at the stat line on paper and ignore net results. One of his 50 yarders ended up in the back of the endzone, netting 35 yards I believe…the other he quickly bombed it, out kicking his coverage, which should never happen with an Aussie style kicker…the whole point of that method is to hold onto to the ball while surveying the field, allowing your coverage to get down field then bomb it (or if the defense turns and runs, take it and run for the first down). The end result was Iowa running it back 40 yards. If your head coach calls you out in a post game interview, you had a very bad game. 

After sleeping on it.....

Still unhappy, but not disgusted...

• It was a road game against a ranked opponent
  • Iowa's D was 8th in the nation last year in yards allowed, and 6th in points allowed.
  • Penix was bad, very bad, which surprised me....
  • Iowa's run D was top 10 last year, so not surprised with had 3.0 AVG on the ground
  • Our D wasn't bad. Penix gifted them a ton.

The worst thing though..... Cinci's defense is better than Iowa's...  :farting_smiley:

3 hours ago, Southside said:

After sleeping on it.....

Still unhappy, but not disgusted...

• It was a road game against a ranked opponent
  • Iowa's D was 8th in the nation last year in yards allowed, and 6th in points allowed.
  • Penix was bad, very bad, which surprised me....
  • Iowa's run D was top 10 last year, so not surprised with had 3.0 AVG on the ground
  • Our D wasn't bad. Penix gifted them a ton.

The worst thing though..... Cinci's defense is better than Iowa's...  :farting_smiley:

Our offense was super easy to defend too. It was so bland. That was one of the fun things about Wilson's years, yea it had a lot of screens and everything, but guys were getting out in space, there was always the ability for a homerun... But the last few years... Meh. There isn't this big time play making. The run game has just been terrible and mostly because of the offensive line. The defense wasn't making plays either. Looked like the defense of old. Looked like they were waiting to be hit instead of attacking and making plays. 

7 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Our offense was super easy to defend too. It was so bland. That was one of the fun things about Wilson's years, yea it had a lot of screens and everything, but guys were getting out in space, there was always the ability for a homerun... But the last few years... Meh. There isn't this big time play making. The run game has just been terrible and mostly because of the offensive line. The defense wasn't making plays either. Looked like the defense of old. Looked like they were waiting to be hit instead of attacking and making plays. 

Gonna withhold my outrage until we get through week 3. 

Iowa on the road is a tough start. Wish we could have tuned up vs Idaho.

Whatever we do, better get it together before Cinci lol..