Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Game Thread: 9/4 @ Iowa - 3:30 - BTN

What worries me is, it’s one thing for throws to be off, out of sink for one game. It’s another to make the mind boggling decisions (forward pass post fumble, pass into your walk on RB’s back for an interception), countless forced balls, horrendous reads….I have zero confidence with Penix leading this team after the display today. He just sits on his back foot and sails it. Also still throwing fastballs when not needed. First read all the way and then if that’s not open, panic.

On the bright side, the defense has played pretty well, although their QB is only marginally better haha.

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The defense hasn’t even been bad. They’ve given up 257 yards and 20 points. This loss is all on Penix. 

That’s the only good takeaway from this game. And I’d say they really only gave up 17 because they inherited a short field on one of the picks. Add the horrific punting and I’m really not disappointed with the defense at all.

16 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

As rough as Penix has been, I’m not super impressed with Carr thus far in a limited sample size.

Doesn’t seem to have elite shiftiness, speed, or punch. Just looks like a serviceable back. Not enough of a sample but from a limited view.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

It’s all on Penix in my opinion. He’s not selling the pass when a run play is called. Iowa has hedged in. Might sound over reactionary but if Penix doesn’t clean his fundamentals in the next game we’ll need a change. 

This is on the coaches. The team was clearly not ready to play. The play calling has been poor. Obviously, the offensive line is weak but they should have shored it up in the offseason. Penix has been mediocre but he hasn't played a while. Tom Allen is overrated, frankly, and I thought that last season.

Expected Iowa to give our OL fits... 

Didn't expect 3 INTs (really 4) and 2 P6s by Penix. I know he was pressured a lot, but what a dud.

Defense wasn't really that bad. Iowa's O didn't do much, but were gifted a lot.

Time to go beat up Idaho before we play Cinci... ooooof... 

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Wish they would’ve had Tuttle throw some. Might as well use it as a chance to get some reps. Penix could’ve just stayed in and handed the ball off. 

They did the same thing a couple years back when we got crushed by Michigan. Tuttle played a good bit of the fourth quarter -- and all he did was hand off. 

To me, that makes no sense. 

2 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

Ugh college football. You lose a game and you season is essentially over. 

The earlier the better though......

We'll likely drop all the way out of the top 25, so any fantasy of a major bowl is out of the question probably, unless we go pop a top 10 Cinci, and beat PSU and OSU.

Right now though, just hoping for mid level bowl...