Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 Alliance

From everything I've read, not a lot of detail lol. Aside from the formalizing of inter-conf games between the 3, not much meat on the bone right now.

And sounds like the PAC and BIG can count any game with ND as their ACC game. So no ACC rotating for schools like Stanford and USC?

I just wish they'd go to four 16 team super-conferences, and be done with it.... ACC and Big need two teams each, and the PAC needs 4. I'm sure those 8 total teams can be found from AAC, B12, Inds, and other places..... 

I guess I'm a little surprised the Big12 isn't doing more to stablize, add, or merge.... If I'm the Big12 commish, I'd be on the phone with the AAC and few schools from the MWC. 

43 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

It sounds more like a political alliance than anything else.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes and no. It's more FB related IMO.... 

I'm sure they'll get some formal language sooner or later that talks about poaching teams, etc.. But right now, even the informal nature of it stabilizes things. Each conf is basically signing up to play 2 out of conference games between the three, which is going to have ripple impacts. The games themselves won't keep teams from playing other conferences like the SEC (ACC has regular rivalry games with the SEC), but it will reduce the availability. 

I've always been a proponent of 4x16, and each conference (each team) playing 3 rotating cross over games with the other 3 confs.

Each team (12 games)...

• 7 division games
  • 1 cross-division intra conf
  • 3 inter-conference game (one each from the other 4x16)
  • 1 pick-em at the schools discretion (any team, any conf)

This is a great idea by the commissioners of the 3 conferences having an alliance with nothing more than a look in each other’s eyes and a handshake. There’s absolutely nothing that could go wrong here lol

36 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

This is a great idea by the commissioners of the 3 conferences having an alliance with nothing more than a look in each other’s eyes and a handshake. There’s absolutely nothing that could go wrong here lol

If there’s going to be some betrayal let’s just hope it’s is sticking the knife to the ACC

1 hour ago, AKHoosier said:

SEC is playing chess while Kevin Warren is struggling with a 6 piece jigsaw puzzle.

He's the O$U lapdog, he can only go as far as their leash will allow.

4 hours ago, Southside said:

From everything I've read, not a lot of detail lol. Aside from the formalizing of inter-conf games between the 3, not much meat on the bone right now.

And sounds like the PAC and BIG can count any game with ND as their ACC game. So no ACC rotating for schools like Stanford and USC?

I just wish they'd go to four 16 team super-conferences, and be done with it.... ACC and Big need two teams each, and the PAC needs 4. I'm sure those 8 total teams can be found from AAC, B12, Inds, and other places..... 

I guess I'm a little surprised the Big12 isn't doing more to stablize, add, or merge.... If I'm the Big12 commish, I'd be on the phone with the AAC and few schools from the MWC. 

I absolutely agree, but even then it might not be enough. Adding Boise St, BYU, and a couple of AAC teams (or even a full-blown merger)  probably won't move the needle enough to keep the Big 12 a power 5 conference. 

2 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

I absolutely agree, but even then it might not be enough. Adding Boise St, BYU, and a couple of AAC teams (or even a full-blown merger)  probably won't move the needle enough to keep the Big 12 a power 5 conference. 

I think there are some good two sport schools out there....

If I'm the Big12, I'm going hard after 

1. Cinci - rising school, FB and BB success
  2. UCF - Florida presence
  3. Liberty - unique base
  4. BYU - unique base
  5. Boise State - seems to always be in the conversation some way lol
  6. SMU - unique base
  7. Houston - another TX team
  8. Memphis - TN presence

That would make 16, and increase the reach/market. 

FAU, Coastal Carolina, Louisiana (Rajun Cajuns), Ball St, Buffalo, or UAB if one of the above won't. Perhaps a Cali school too like SJS.

I know they wouldn't be on the level of the others out of the gate, but honestly the ACC is very very top heavy, and benefit a lot from the ND tie in. Big 10 isn't what it used to be aside from OSU in FB. PAC has been very very mediocre in FB.

If you look at the 8 I listed plus the alternates, I'd say those teams combined with the 8 that remained, would account for near 10 top 25 FB ranks last year. 

6 hours ago, Southside said:

3. Liberty - unique base
  4. BYU - unique base
  6. SMU - unique base
  8. Memphis - TN presence

FAU, Coastal Carolina, Louisiana (Rajun Cajuns), Ball St, Buffalo, or UAB if one of the above won't. Perhaps a Cali school too like SJS.

I know they wouldn't be on the level of the others out of the gate, but honestly the ACC is very very top heavy, and benefit a lot from the ND tie in. Big 10 isn't what it used to be aside from OSU in FB. PAC has been very very mediocre in FB.

If you look at the 8 I listed plus the alternates, I'd say those teams combined with the 8 that remained, would account for near 10 top 25 FB ranks last year. 

I like your list.  I would also take a look at Wyoming, Colorado St., and Utah St.

9 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

If there’s going to be some betrayal let’s just hope it’s is sticking the knife to the ACC

This is Kevin Warren we are talking about. The B1G would be who would get screwed over 

14 hours ago, Rico said:

I like your list.  I would also take a look at Wyoming, Colorado St., and Utah St.

Agreed. Almost listed all 3 in my alternatives.

I just really surprised they're not making moves already. Time could be running out. Without TX and OK, the AAC is actually a better conf.

On 8/25/2021 at 7:47 AM, Rico said:

On 8/25/2021 at 1:42 AM, Southside said:

3. Liberty - unique base
  4. BYU - unique base
  6. SMU - unique base
  8. Memphis - TN presence

Only need 4 more :92:

BYU, Houston, UCF, Cincinnati planning to submit applications to Big 12 next week, sources confirm

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32141325/byu-houston-ucf-cincinnati-planning-submit-applications-big-12-sources-confirm