Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Hoosier Hysteria date set - 10/2/21

9 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

How strange, why no scrimmage, i mean, that is always what HH - midnight madness has been about 

Supposedly Woody said it was because too many players were being held out with minor injuries. Evidently, it was planned, but decided to forego it with several guys out.

3 hours ago, mamasa said:

4DE82B3A-8644-4744-92C5-9B3486BF5958.jpeg

633966CF-0185-4CA6-85E2-442BFD33AC2E.jpeg

F1CD3AFE-DC0E-46DD-B611-16F0E91DE362.jpeg

Zeke had tears in his eyes when he spoke of Woody's last game as a Hoosier. It was a loss to Purdue in the tournament and the hurt he felt for not doing his part.If I remember correctly Thomas was ejected for punching J B Carroll in the face.

He said they won it in 81 but the 80 team was better with Woodson,Carter and Steve Bouchie.I think he was right.

That team had some bad fortune with Woody and Whitman being injured.

Some observations:

woody, Fife, Zeke and TJD with the loudest fan reactions, no surprise

either Duncomb is way taller that 6’9” or Durr isn’t 7’

xavier’s shot is really odd, the release and jumping left

Stewart was pretty pedestrian shooting 3’s from the corners but was lights out from straight on. I watched him hit something like 9/10 warming up and then he did something almost as good  in the contest

lander in the walking boot of doom

berger might be a better shooter than anyone on the men’s team 

5 hours ago, ap2345 said:

Probably should’ve announced there wouldn’t be a scrimmage before the event started. Oh well the season is right around the corner. 

I don't think it was planned to not have a scrimmage. It was announced that the team would warm up and then have a 10 minute scrimmage. After about 30 minutes of drills, they announced there would be no scrimmage because they were short handed.

At least Galloway, Lander, Kopp and Durr were unavailable.

12 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

I don't think it was planned to not have a scrimmage. It was announced that the team would warm up and then have a 10 minute scrimmage. After about 30 minutes of drills, they announced there would be no scrimmage because they were short handed.

At least Galloway, Lander, Kopp and Durr were unavailable.

Minor point, and to be clear I’m absolutely thrilled with what has happened since Woody was hired, but if fans show up there should be a scrimmage even if they have to use a walk-on or two. Families etc, put in a lot of time to attend and should get at least 10 minutes of seeing TJD etc in a scrimmage.

45 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Minor point, and to be clear I’m absolutely thrilled with what has happened since Woody was hired, but if fans show up there should be a scrimmage even if they have to use a walk-on or two. Families etc, put in a lot of time to attend and should get at least 10 minutes of seeing TJD etc in a scrimmage.

I don’t care if it’s girls vs guys, you scrimmage. I feel bad for whoever took the time to show up only to see a lame dunk contest and 3pt shooting practice. Did the girls team at least play a game?

What I thought was strange was the fact that half the crowd left when they announced the upcoming scrimmage. I didn’t hear much complaining about the cancellation of scrimmage, just a lot of concern for the players (who made us short-handed). 

1 hour ago, mamasa said:

What I thought was strange was the fact that half the crowd left when they announced the upcoming scrimmage. I didn’t hear much complaining about the cancellation of scrimmage, just a lot of concern for the players (who made us short-handed). 

I’ve been noticing that the last couple years  that once the scrimmage starts most people take off.  While it might be one of my favorite parts I can see why younger fans and fans that want to bear the crowd  would want to bolt.   Attendance was noticeably down from years past.   We were 30 mins late and walked right in and sat around row 39 with no one else around us.  I personally thought there would be more people.   I still loved going because I got to make another memory inside assembly hall with my family.  

12 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I’ve been noticing that the last couple years  that once the scrimmage starts most people take off.  While it might be one of my favorite parts I can see why younger fans and fans that want to bear the crowd  would want to bolt.   Attendance was noticeably down from years past.   We were 30 mins late and walked right in and sat around row 39 with no one else around us.  I personally thought there would be more people.   I still loved going because I got to make another memory inside assembly hall with my family.  

Hoosier Hysteria is for the fans but really for families and each family gets something different out of it. I used to love the scrimmage when I was in middle school but in taking my 4 year old, it didn’t matter that it was canceled as he was spent after being there for almost 2 hours. I can see how many were disappointed it was canceled. 
for me, they need to find a way to move things along faster. I would love to see the players announced and then move into the scrimmage and then the other stuff but that’s just me.

attendance was way down, I was disappointed to see that, I hope that was just a result of the rain or Covid or both but there was maybe only 7k people there, just my guess but that wasn’t what I was used to seeing but then again I haven’t been since the Crean era.

On the scrimmage, i was thinking more of the recruits and their families. That’s a big part of what they want to experience. It’s too bad but is what it is. Doubt it would cause any of them to think bad of IU, but it won’t leave that good vibe with them that a good scrimmage would.

Just now, HoosierHoopster said:

On the scrimmage, i was thinking more of the recruits and their families. That’s a big part of what they want to experience. It’s too bad but is what it is. Doubt it would cause any of them to think bad of IU, but it won’t leave that good vibe with them that a good scrimmage would.

I’ve always heard the opposite.  Recruits are not interested in a 10 min scrimmage at the end.   They want big production and musical guest.   If you look at the Kansas, Kentucky and others they don’t even scrimmage it’s about the entertainment aspect.    Recruits can watch the team in a real scrimmage on an actual official or unofficial visit.   Scrimmage is for the old fans that want a glimpse of the upcoming team in my opinion 

4 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I don’t think that recruits care much about the scrimmage at all—they’re getting a front row seat to practice. That’s their big takeaway moment.

4 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Speaking of scrimmages, I miss the days of going to the Memorial Coliseum and watching the fellas scrimmage.

Just now, Stuhoo said:

I don’t think that recruits care much about the scrimmage at all—they’re getting a front row seat to practice. That’s their big takeaway moment.

Naah they love scrimmages and it’s front row to see them ball - that’s the practice anyway. The dunk and shooting contests are usually fun too. 

Attendance dropping could be a bunch of things, but ultimately it’s a result of the product in general and the product specific to Hoosier Hysteria. Since the general product has been down for so long, fans are losing their grip. Long term, winning cures all. Short term, if you want fans to be there give them what they want. Do some questionnaires and figure out the best product you can put together. For me, that’s definitely a scrimmage. Heck, do some 3on3 games by 1s and 2s to 10.

Also, moving it a little closer to the actual season start seems like that would help. Any historians have info on this? Seemed really early this year.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

3 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I’ve always heard the opposite.  Recruits are not interested in a 10 min scrimmage at the end.   They want big production and musical guest.   If you look at the Kansas, Kentucky and others they don’t even scrimmage it’s about the entertainment aspect.    Recruits can watch the team in a real scrimmage on an actual official or unofficial visit.   Scrimmage is for the old fans that want a glimpse of the upcoming team in my opinion 

Guess it depends who you talk to. I’ve talked to recruits who love it. I think we lose sight of that these kids are just ballers, they live to ball. It can’t just be a practice, it has to have the big production too, but they don’t care about seeing the guys ball? Yeah, they do