Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

RB Transfer Sampson James to Purdue

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/running-back-sampson-james-enters-transfer-portal

Indiana running back Sampson James has entered the transfer portal, announced on Wednesday.

James had rushed for 371 yards and three touchdowns in 19 games with Indiana over his career.

James was a former 4-star running back. He had previously entered the transfer portal last spring before ultimately rejoining the team ahead of the 2020 season.

Wish this young man well! He was a major get when we landed him, yet his production on the field was never at the level we all dreamed of. I'm also reading 2 other guys in the same position are playing very, very well. No one wants to be a 3rd string 4 star. 

5 minutes ago, IU-DL said:

Wish this young man well! He was a major get when we landed him, yet his production on the field was never at the level we all dreamed of. I'm also reading 2 other guys in the same position are playing very, very well. No one wants to be a 3rd string 4 star. 

As I said on another thread he was 4th behind Carr, Baldwin, and Spiegal. So after a week of practice, he knew he wasn't going to get the carries he wanted. 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

As I said on another thread he was 4th behind Carr, Baldwin, and Spiegal. So after a week of practice, he knew he wasn't going to get the carries he wanted. 

Reading big things on Spiegal....and very very hopeful for Carr.

Wow...good for Charlie Spegal. He was incredible in high school, but he's a preferred walk-on. He just beat out a 4 star rb who showed flashes of success at IU and had an Ohio State offer.

From an April, 2021 article--I guess Coach McCullough wasn't just blowing smoke:

"Another player who has impressed McCullough is walk-on sophomore running back Charlie Spegal. A 2019 Indiana Mr. Football from New Palestine, Spegal bypassed scholarship offers from smaller Division I schools to play at IU. At 5-foot-10 and 219-pounds, Spegal has shown an ability to generate tough yards and block in pass protection, an area Scott excelled during his IU career.

“He’s been taking coaching very well,” McCullough said, “So just excited about him. I mean, last Saturday he stepped up and was one of our more firm pass protectors because of that low center of gravity, strong body, great punch to deliver a blow to guys and just stoning guys in pass pro.”

25 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Bingo. I can't say I'm surprised Spegal passed him up. 

Good to hear about Spegal but I’ve been wondering if James would bolt ever since we landed Carr. James had already previously entered the portal but after he decided to stay we added Carr. He had to realize that Carr would probably reduce his chances to get carries.
Kudos to our depth that his transfer will have little to no impact on the team.

19 hours ago, IU-DL said:

Man.. its been 4 years since someone wrongly ranked him a 4 star. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Man.. its been 4 years since someone wrongly ranked him a 4 star. 

He was a first ballot Full Pad Practice Hall of Famer, was really smart, and worked really hard. Something just never clicked with him to get on the field/he had some unfortunate luck early last season that kept him away from the team for basically the middle third of the short season. 

I have a sneaking suspicion of a G5 team that’s going to go HARD after him if he swallows his pride and doesn’t try staying P5. 

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

He was a first ballot Full Pad Practice Hall of Famer, was really smart, and worked really hard. Something just never clicked with him to get on the field/he had some unfortunate luck early last season that kept him away from the team for basically the middle third of the short season. 

I have a sneaking suspicion of a G5 team that’s going to go HARD after him if he swallows his pride and doesn’t try staying P5. 

I was just thinking he would probably tear it up in the MAC

On 8/12/2021 at 8:53 AM, Hovadipo said:

Hey I believe you! I'm rooting for him and absolutely wishing the best for him! Just a pet peeve of mine when we constantly attach these stars to kids once they're on campus. I hope he goes to Ball State, personally. 

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Hey I believe you! I'm rooting for him and absolutely wishing the best for him! Just a pet peeve of mine when we constantly attach these stars to kids once they're on campus. I hope he goes to Ball State, personally. 

Well…..he’s going to Purdue. Lol.