Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

College Conference/Football Expansion

1 minute ago, DChoosier said:

Money probably means more than anything to these guys but if I’m the Michigan AD I would be worried about UM being beaten like a drum in the SEC. In a conference that large they could be looking at years of being the 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th best team.

Yeah I was going to say something similar. Unless the SEC would bring them a lot more money than they would get by staying in the B1G, why would schools like Michigan or Penn State want to leave the conference? They're in the upper echelon of the B1G. They go the SEC and they're probably behind schools like Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Florida, and now Oklahoma and Texas. Why would they want to do that? In the B1G they can compete, at worst, for second place every year with the occasional 1st place, and they're one of the premiere programs in the conference. In the SEC they'd be nothing special. 

12 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Yeah I was going to say something similar. Unless the SEC would bring them a lot more money than they would get by staying in the B1G, why would schools like Michigan or Penn State want to leave the conference? They're in the upper echelon of the B1G. They go the SEC and they're probably behind schools like Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Florida, and now Oklahoma and Texas. Why would they want to do that? In the B1G they can compete, at worst, for second place every year with the occasional 1st place, and they're one of the premiere programs in the conference. In the SEC they'd be nothing special. 

In addition I read an article that made a few good points. With the top 2 or more teams from the power conferences virtually being guaranteed a spot in the expanded playoffs why in the world would Alabama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Texas AM want Oklahoma and Texas competing for a spot and/or possibly hurting their playoff chances if they lose to them?

And with the expanded playoff a Big 12  Oklahoma is almost guaranteed to get in the playoff every single year and Texas’s chances of making the expanded playoff are better in the Big 12.

I know………it’s all about the $$$$$ and there is seemingly never enough $$$$$$ in “amateur” (LOL) sports.

4 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

Throwing this out there just for folks to chew on…purely for anonymous online message board purposes - should IU try to go to the SEC (if they would even take us…)?

If the SEC is ultimately working towards some super NFL-lite league that only consists of SEC schools and invited brand names, I feel like we could be on the outside looking in if OSU, Michigan and maybe Penn State break away from the Big Ten for us to be stuck in some tier 2 football conference that no network is going to pay big money for. In such a scenario, we may be fighting with Purdue for any Indiana breadcrumb this new super conference may offer (taking Notre Dame out of the equation). 

Schools like Kansas State and Iowa State may find themselves waking up very quickly to not having the gravy train they received from the football powers in their conference. We’re spared from that right now because the B1G is still very stable, but if OSU wakes up one day and says “why should Rutgers and Indiana be getting shares of my TV revenue?” then we could get pinched pretty quickly. 

I’m not sure what contracts or “gentlemen agreements” are currently in place between the B1G schools about such a thing, but I also know that contractual obligations to a dying status quo means zilch these days with realignment. I’ll say this as well, I have no faith that Kevin Warren can keep the B1G in tact if the new super SEC comes knocking on OSU’s door.

Pretty much agree. My only question is do all the top programs go to the SEC or does another conference try to compete with Clemson, OSU, FSU ND ect?  I think one of the next steps will be booting lesser preforming programs from the SEC to make room. Zero confidence in the B1G competing in this environment as they thought Rutgers was a good move.

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Big Ten would almost certainly respond in kind. 

Big 12 dies. What other conferences would die along with it 

Sounds like this is more of an ESPN vs. FOX battle then it is an SEC vs. B1G one. 

12 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The same logic here could be applied to Texas and OU staying in the Big 12, but they jumped anyway. I don’t want to get ahead of myself, but we may need to stop thinking of these conferences in the traditional sense (for football) and begin discussing which one (or two) is going to be a defacto semi-pro league for top NFL prospects. The Cincinnati Bengals are nothing special, but they’re still in the club while the Toronto Argonauts are not. If something bigger like that is in works, the question for Michigan and Penn State is do they want to be in this new paradigm or be relegated to a lower level that top high school players don’t want to play in and big time networks don’t want to pay top dollar for. 

Let's do something groundbreaking.  Let's merge with the Pac 12.  We'd have two conferences with two divisions each.  Four team tournament with division winners for Champion.  Our footprint would go from east coast to west coast spanning all of America.  If SEC is going huge, we need to also in our own way.

7 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

Sounds like this is more of an ESPN vs. FOX battle then it is an SEC vs. B1G one. 

As it should be. FOX’s college football production is horrible while it’s the one thing that ESPN still does better than anyone. I’d be pissed if I were Texas and OU too. Your marquee game of the week a lot of weeks is played before half of the country has shaken off a Friday night hangover. I’m surprised the B1G schools haven’t gone off about it yet. Big Noon is a friggin joke and Gus Johnson blows. 

I feel better. 

54 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

As it should be. FOX’s college football production is horrible while it’s the one thing that ESPN still does better than anyone. I’d be pissed if I were Texas and OU too. Your marquee game of the week a lot of weeks is played before half of the country has shaken off a Friday night hangover. I’m surprised the B1G schools haven’t gone off about it yet. Big Noon is a friggin joke.

I feel better. 

Fixed

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

As it should be. FOX’s college football production is horrible while it’s the one thing that ESPN still does better than anyone. I’d be pissed if I were Texas and OU too. Your marquee game of the week a lot of weeks is played before half of the country has shaken off a Friday night hangover. I’m surprised the B1G schools haven’t gone off about it yet. Big Noon is a friggin joke and Gus Johnson blows. 

I feel better. 

gus-johnson-soccerjpg.jpg

5 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Gus is badddddd. 

Heresy! I grew up listening to Gus doing Knicks games on the radio before he became the meme machine he's been made out to be. I'll take someone who seems to care over most of these guys that prefer other sports but call football solely cuz it pays the bills.

3 hours ago, Josh said:

Let's do something groundbreaking.  Let's merge with the Pac 12.  We'd have two conferences with two divisions each.  Four team tournament with division winners for Champion.  Our footprint would go from east coast to west coast spanning all of America.  If SEC is going huge, we need to also in our own way.

Lol we could call ourselves the western conference again

57 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

Heresy! I grew up listening to Gus doing Knicks games on the radio before he became the meme machine he's been made out to be. I'll take someone who seems to care over most of these guys that prefer other sports but call football solely cuz it pays the bills.

I also happen to know Gus is kind of a big-timing d-bag. Sounds like he forgot his roots. 

35 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Not sure exactly who Jack McGuire is and I'm thinking it's mostly BS, but hell, these days ... anything seems possible. 

I guess Ann Arbor is in Southeastern Michigan ... LOL. 

The result of the expanded playoffs for sure. OSU would never join the SEC otherwise 

On 7/24/2021 at 12:26 PM, DChoosier said:

In addition I read an article that made a few good points. With the top 2 or more teams from the power conferences virtually being guaranteed a spot in the expanded playoffs why in the world would Alabama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Texas AM want Oklahoma and Texas competing for a spot and/or possibly hurting their playoff chances if they lose to them?

And with the expanded playoff a Big 12  Oklahoma is almost guaranteed to get in the playoff every single year and Texas’s chances of making the expanded playoff are better in the Big 12.

I know………it’s all about the $$$$$ and there is seemingly never enough $$$$$$ in “amateur” (LOL) sports.

That was what I was asking on page 1. Circumstances seem to indicate that competitive balance, fan support, tradition all have NOTHING to do with this. It is a pure money grab. I think that is short sighted and "they" are in real danger of irreparably damaging the product. I might watch Oklahoma play Okla St or Texas vs. Texas Tech. I have zero interest in Watching those teams play Kentucky or So. Carolina. Still, no one cares what I think. These Athletic Departments are convinced they are way smarter than anyone else and that more is obviously better. 

Something I saw that confirms that:Capture.thumb.JPG.1ca295bb281d5d211d2c5aabe313cdc3.JPG

5 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Lol we could call ourselves the western conference again

Ha, I guess so.

I just feel like if we just try to pick up scraps of what's left, we're letting somebody else (the SEC) control the sports world.  If we go big with something like merging with the Pac 12, we're stating our case as a big dog in the world of athletics as well.