Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - PG Gabe Cupps to INDIANA

12 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I don’t expect Cupps to be our primary PG but I did not really like how they made it seem he was clearly not ready to contribute like Purdues Smith did. 

7 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I don’t expect Cupps to be our primary PG but I did not really like how they made it seem he was clearly not ready to contribute like Purdues Smith did. 

I thought the wording was questionable, as well. We have the luxury of having a veteran pg coming back, but I have no fear if Woody had to give Gabe the keys to the car, earlier than expected. If XJ and Jakai can stay/get healthy, and CJ improves like we've heard,  I really like the XJ, Gabe, Trey, CJ, Jakai backcourt parts. 

People didn’t really expect Smith to be ready or able right away either until they started practicing and Painter saw he was their best option.

Cupps could be similar.

I’ve watched a fair amount of Cupps and I’m never really wowed. Smith is for sure the more tenacious player. Cupps, plays a little smoother but I’d like to see the intensity up a notch. The ball handling is probably ready, but I want to see it with my own 2 eyes at the college level to be certain.

That was an underestimated aspect of JHS game. He handled the ball very well for a freshman despite the 2-3 WTF passes he would make per game.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

"No matter what, if there's something at 6 a.m. that he has to be at, he is working out before to start his day," IU assistant Brian Walsh said on the Hoosier Hysterics! Podcast. "If he has to catch a flight at 4:30 in the morning, he will work out before the flight at 4:30. And he's done that for 10 years straight, and that's why he is where he is."

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/article/a-special-young-kid-indiana-basketball-iu-hoosiers-freshman-gabe-cupps-respect-actions-214403051/

It’s also notable, the efficiency that Cupps plays with when he’s alongside the rest of the starting lineup. According to EvanMiya.com, the lineup of Cupps, Trey Galloway, Mackenzie Mgbako, Malik Reneau and Kel’el Ware ranks third in the entire country in efficiency margin.

https://hoosierillustrated.com/indiana-basketball-head-coach-mike-woodson-praises-play-of-freshman-point-guard-gabe-cupps-he-leaves-it-out-there-on-the-floor/