Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - PG Gabe Cupps to INDIANA

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

That is the biggest issue. How much of that talent hasn't developed? Cupps has the opportunity to change that narrative. I refuse to believe that all the evaluations from recruiting services, other staffs, and such were wrong about so many players. Do we have the culture that favors development? I don't think we have had that in the recent past. Leadership, hopefully something Cupps shares even as a freshman along with XJ returning and some portaling successes can change that culture.

Completely non existent under Archie. 

That'd be kind of impressive since Oladipo had already established himself in the NBA before Miller made his mess here.
Maybe Archie deserves more credit than we thought.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

That is the biggest issue. How much of that talent hasn't developed? Cupps has the opportunity to change that narrative. I refuse to believe that all the evaluations from recruiting services, other staffs, and such were wrong about so many players. Do we have the culture that favors development? I don't think we have had that in the recent past. Leadership, hopefully something Cupps shares even as a freshman along with XJ returning and some portaling successes can change that culture.

Under the previous coach, player development wasn't a thing. The only player I remember making a significant jump was Franklin and that wasn't because of Miller and company. There was an article about it and I don't remember if Miller's name ever even showed up in it. Most players stayed about the same or got worse. 

As far as recruiting services, I think COVID really messed up a few years. They're never 100% accurate but they seem to have more misses recently than usual. That is just my perception without numbers to back it up so that could well be wrong but it certainly seems so.

The previous coach was also a pretty bad evaluator of talent. 

We've seen improvement in player development under Woodson, but I'm not yet convinced it's at the level it needs to be at yet. They do seem to be focusing more on players that work hard to improve (Cupps, JHS are 2 off the top of my head) so hopefully we get to the point where it's a team of gym rats that want to improve and win.

26 minutes ago, Josh said:

I just found out that I'm an insider!  I hired a guy at work and his first day was today.  We talked a lot in interviews, but today was my first chance to get to know him outside of a business perspective.  Turns out he played point guard for Coach Cupps at Centerville!  He was a senior while Gabe was in Middle School.

Coach Cupps had Gabe play with the varsity team going back to 6th grade at practices, so my new hire has played against him many times.  Now I'm an insider, get it?  I declare myself the poster with the utmost knowledge on our future PG.  

I asked my new hire what Gabe's best qualities were and he said shooting and leadership.  If he's wrong I'll be glad to fire him.  In the meantime, just trust every word I say here.  I'm your new king.

FWIW, if we were having a vote on our omnipotent dictator you’d be my first choice.

47 minutes ago, Josh said:

I just found out that I'm an insider!  I hired a guy at work and his first day was today.  We talked a lot in interviews, but today was my first chance to get to know him outside of a business perspective.  Turns out he played point guard for Coach Cupps at Centerville!  He was a senior while Gabe was in Middle School.

Coach Cupps had Gabe play with the varsity team going back to 6th grade at practices, so my new hire has played against him many times.  Now I'm an insider, get it?  I declare myself the poster with the utmost knowledge on our future PG.  

I asked my new hire what Gabe's best qualities were and he said shooting and leadership.  If he's wrong I'll be glad to fire him.  In the meantime, just trust every word I say here.  I'm your new king.

Sounds like something Homer would say

59 minutes ago, Josh said:

OMG.  Josh is really Gus Polinski the Polka King of the Midwest.

Darren Rovell on Twitter: "“Home Alone” came out 30 years ...