Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - PG Gabe Cupps to INDIANA

39 minutes ago, ISP said:

Dude won Ohio Mr Basketball 2x while averaging 14ppg and 15ppg. That should tell you the type of command this kids has on the court. 

No, only once and that was last year.  Devin Royal of Pickerington Central is this year's winner.

18 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

No, only once and that was last year.  Devin Royal of Pickerington Central is this year's winner.

Good call. I blindly assumed he won again. 

Many here want "dawgs" (I loathe that term) and guys that just have that fire in them to win. I think Gabe has that in spades. He may not be ready year one but I think he's got all the makings of being an all-time favorite at IU. I hope anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, rcs29 said:

Many here want "dawgs" (I loathe that term) and guys that just have that fire in them to win. I think Gabe has that in spades. He may not be ready year one but I think he's got all the makings of being an all-time favorite at IU. I hope anyhow.

Why do you loathe the term "dawgs?" What would you in its place?

Why do you loathe the term "dawgs?" What would you in its place?
Lol I really don't know. Suppose I've gotten fatigue from the use of the term? As for a replacement I'd say just use an original term or phrase that best describes the trait you're referring to. If that's dawg, dog or kitty cat then ok. Just for me personally I've grown to hate it.

16 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Lol I really don't know. Suppose I've gotten fatigue from the use of the term? As for a replacement I'd say just use an original term or phrase that best describes the trait you're referring to. If that's dawg, dog or kitty cat then ok. Just for me personally I've grown to hate it.

Interesting, I use the term to encompass many different qualities that would represent many letters. It's as much of a style of play as it is a mindset. I believe most look at it from a physicality standpoint of getting up in your opponent or rebounding. I'd take it a step further to include not only wanting to beat your opponent but to leave zero doubt who is better. This can include more finesse players that get buckets or have a mindset they know they're going to make shots.

We've lacked this mentality for a long time but have done a fantastic job of celebrating dunking or blocking regardless if we were winning.

Cupps can make an impact as a freshman by bringing that mentality and work ethic to the program. I'd love to get a freshman that puts in the work, gets some PT as a reward, and forces teammates to follow suit. I don't think we've had a lot of competition as to who the starters, role players, and mop up players have been for awhile.

4 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Interesting, I use the term to encompass many different qualities that would represent many letters. It's as much of a style of play as it is a mindset. I believe most look at it from a physicality standpoint of getting up in your opponent or rebounding. I'd take it a step further to include not only wanting to beat your opponent but to leave zero doubt who is better. This can include more finesse players that get buckets or have a mindset they know they're going to make shots.

We've lacked this mentality for a long time but have done a fantastic job of celebrating dunking or blocking regardless if we were winning.

Cupps can make an impact as a freshman by bringing that mentality and work ethic to the program. I'd love to get a freshman that puts in the work, gets some PT as a reward, and forces teammates to follow suit. I don't think we've had a lot of competition as to who the starters, role players, and mop up players have been for awhile.

I would just say we've been short on talent outside of like 3 guys since Crean.

Everyone celebrates dunks/blocks. We aren't unique in that regard, hell... I see football games with DBs celebrating incomplete passes when their team is trailing by 30, again, not unique to Indiana. 

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I would just say we've been short on talent outside of like 3 guys since Crean.

Everyone celebrates dunks/blocks. We aren't unique in that regard, hell... I see football games with DBs celebrating incomplete passes when their team is trailing by 30, again, not unique to Indiana. 

We've had enough talent since Crean. There have been major flaws with it fitting together, working hard, leaderless, etc. but it's been there.

Everyone? That's a bold statement. I never said we were unique. It's absolutely goofy on most accounts. I did glance up to see LeBron flexing after a made layup while down ~16 last night.

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

We've had enough talent since Crean. There have been major flaws with it fitting together, working hard, leaderless, etc. but it's been there.

Everyone? That's a bold statement. I never said we were unique. It's absolutely goofy on most accounts. I did glance up to see LeBron flexing after a made layup while down ~16 last night.

That's the "it's all about me" in certain players that I can't stand.

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

It just doesn't really seem like something to point out when you look back at our "past". But, no we haven't had enough talent since Crean, not even close to enough talent... especially developed that "talent" once it got on campus, which you did mention. 

But we have had PLENTY of "not enough talent". Was Armaan Franklin as a SO the best guard on ANY of Archie's teams? That's tough. 

31 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It just doesn't really seem like something to point out when you look back at our "past". But, no we haven't had enough talent since Crean, not even close to enough talent... especially developed that "talent" once it got on campus, which you did mention. 

But we have had PLENTY of "not enough talent". Was Armaan Franklin as a SO the best guard on ANY of Archie's teams? That's tough. 

That is the biggest issue. How much of that talent hasn't developed? Cupps has the opportunity to change that narrative. I refuse to believe that all the evaluations from recruiting services, other staffs, and such were wrong about so many players. Do we have the culture that favors development? I don't think we have had that in the recent past. Leadership, hopefully something Cupps shares even as a freshman along with XJ returning and some portaling successes can change that culture.