Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - PG Gabe Cupps to INDIANA

New Albany will host Centerville (Ohio) and future Hoosier Gabe Cupps @CuppsGabe on Thursday, December 29 at 7:30 p.m. It will be an excellent opportunity for #iubb fans in Southern Indiana and Louisville to come to the Doghouse to see the future IU guard.

I really hope all of this translates to the college level because if it does, we are going to be some kind of special with the front court players CMW is assembling. His ability to cut up a defense and get the ball to our play makers will be a joy to watch. 

I know it’s common knowledge that Gabe’s father, Brook, is his HS coach. Has anyone pointed out that when he played with the North Coast Blue Chips his coaches are his father and the father of his teammate, Bronny James? I know if his LeBron connection but has not realized the dads coached together.

Anyone else think we are getting a lot more than we think with this kid?

Lots of posters and IU fans think so.  The scouts and recruiting analysts like him too, but less than we’d hope for.    

What’s crazy to me is seeing Leal next to Hulls that Hulls had the career he had and Leal is fightingfor 11h spot.  Both Mr Basketballs. Leal is much bigger and athletic.  Here’s to hoping he can shoot it like Hulls some day.  

as far as Cupps, I’m fully on the wait and see approach. Coaches are always going to to want to play their most athletic options first.  But if he does every thing he’s asked to do, maybe he’ll contribute earlier than I expect. A lot comes down to making shots and having guys he can pass to that make shots. 

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Lots of posters and IU fans think so.  The scouts and recruiting analysts like him too, but less than we’d hope for.  

What’s crazy to me is seeing Leal next to Hulls that Hulls had the career he had and Leal is fight for 11h spot.  Both Mr Basketballs. Leal is much bigger and athletic.  Here’s to hoping he can shot it like Hulls some day.  

as far as Cupps, I’m fully on the wait and see approach. Coaches are always going to to want to play their most athletic options first.  But if he does every thing he’s ask to do, maybe he’ll contribute earlier than I expect. A lot comes down to making shots and having guys he can pass to that make shots. 

I agree with your concerns, but sometimes the measureables don't indicate the value of the player. He just seems more to me than he is getting credit for. I could be completely wrong about this, but it's going to be fun finding out. CMW obviously wants better options at guard than he inherited and is recruiting accordingly. Will be fun to watch it play out.

45 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Anyone else think we are getting a lot more than we think with this kid?

I think for his freshman season, we are hoping he can be a 12mpg backup point guard.

After that? Either he will show he’s the three season starter, or we will look hard for a ‘24 point guard.