Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - PG Gabe Cupps to INDIANA

Centerville with a 66 -25 win over Northmont; running clock commenced in the 4th Q.  It was 25-18 at the half and Centerville blew the game open in the 3rd and led 52-24 after 3 Qs.  Cupps picked up 2 1st Q fouls and his 3rd foul early in the 2nd Q.  Don't think he played but 8 or 9 minutes in that half and probably only about 12 or13 in the 2nd half.  

Both teams played a full court man-to-man defense and I think Cupps only had 2 TOs.  Seems to  have a pass first mentality and sees the court very well.  His team is patient and keeps the ball constantly moving.  Cupps' passes are sharp and crisp.  He's a righthanded shooter but he threw several cross court lefthanded passes that were right on target.  I'll post his complete stats tomorrow morning.

18 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I think he’s going to be very easy to root for. This article and the way he answers the interviewer’s questions indicates a high level of pride, confidence, and intelligence. It seems evident he has the winner’s mentality and the hard work and dedication to make himself and his team better. As a coach’s son, he likely understands the game on a magnified level. I sense his willingness to listen and respect what the leadership believes is best for himself and his team is genuine and he will be very coachable. And, he already sees himself as a leader on and off the court. There’s  nothing to dislike about his attitude towards the game of basketball, and his deep love for the game is apparent in the way he recognizes, respects, understands, and admires the state’s infatuation with the game…as well as the Indiana program as a whole. I’m glad he’ll be a Hoosier. I think Indiana is getting a player who will dedicate himself to making his and Woodson’s dream of bringing IU back to prominence more likely. He seems like a program changer, even if it’s not from his on-court abilities. He just has the right attitude every program needs in and out of the locker room. 

That’s my take.

Happy and safe holidays, y’all!

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

53-46 Centerville over Wayne Thursday night.  Cupps 11 pts on 5-9 FG; 1-3 on 3s; 0 FT; 4 reb; 5 asst; 3 stl; 0 blk; 3 TO.

Is there much difference between Cupp and the Smith kid from Westfield.  It seemed like some of our fans didn't think Smith was big enough but are really happy with Cupp.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Is there much difference between Cupp and the Smith kid from Westfield.  It seemed like some of our fans didn't think Smith was big enough but are really happy with Cupp.

Yes, there are many:

Cupps is four inches taller.

Cupps is a truer point who plays within himself. Smith is an undersized scorer and shooter.

Cupps doesn’t have a whiny temper.

Cupps, unlike Smith, has LeBron on speed dial.

Similarities? Y’all tell me.

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yes, there are many:

Cupps is four inches taller.

Cupps is a truer point who plays within himself. Smith is an undersized scorer and shooter.

Cupps doesn’t have a whiny temper.

Cupps, unlike Smith, has LeBron on speed dial.

Similarities? Y’all tell me.

I liked Smith's desire to win and we need that.  I am not saying Cupp is not the same and can't wait to see him play

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I’m waiting to be impressed.  I’m impressed by the kid and his family, no doubt. I’m impressed by his attitude.  Same with Leal and Galloway and many others. I’m taking the wait and see approach big time here.  He’s listed at 6’2” but looks tiny and shorter.  He knows how to win and wants to be great. Nothing else jumps off the page.  Long term approach. Want my scouting eyes to be deceived.  

4 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I can’t fathom why we’re comparing Cupps and Braden freakin Smith. 

I have seen both on YouTube and just watched Smith games on TV and haven't seen a huge difference.  Yes Cupp is friends with LeBron but that doesn't do anything for him on the court.  I am not upset getting Cupp at all and glad he chose IU