Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - C Xavier Booker to Michigan State

I am going to give you a name here....Booker reminds me of Keon Clark, anybody else see it? Probably a little more talented and a better shooter, but the build, springiness, and the way he moved reminds me of him.

18 minutes ago, craigyv88 said:

I could be off with this as I didn't follow recruiting in '15/'16 like I do now, but he sort of reminds me of a younger, pre-injury De'Ron Davis. 

Not a good comp for me at all. A pre-njury DeRon was skilled, out of shape, wide, and could barely jump. A post-injury DeRon had a rarely achieved vertical of negative 2".  He actually sunk further into the floor when he tried to lift off.

Booker is very long, very skinny, very raw, and very bouncy.

23 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Not a good comp for me at all. A pre-njury DeRon was skilled, out of shape, wide, and could barely jump. A post-injury DeRon had a rarely achieved vertical of negative 2".  He actually sunk further into the floor when he tried to lift off.

so he reminds you of tigger?

33 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I'm terrible at player comps so I probably should have kept that though to myself. I only remember a little about DeRon's pre-injury play style but I do recall him being highly rated out of high school and that Achilles injury robbing him of a lot of ability.  I agree Xavier has a better bounce and still think they look kinda similar at that age.

image.thumb.png.a75c4d2a0f9ae5f1fdcad6f65281b9e5.png

image.thumb.png.62a8843ef1957a14a3d2dbdd68e976ab.png

3 minutes ago, craigyv88 said:

I'm terrible at player comps so I probably should have kept that though to myself. I only remember a little about DeRon's pre-injury play style but I do recall him being highly rated out of high school and that Achilles injury robbing him of a lot of ability.  I agree Xavier has a better bounce and still think they look kinda similar at that age.

image.thumb.png.a75c4d2a0f9ae5f1fdcad6f65281b9e5.png

Wow...in the face they look really similar!

1 hour ago, craigyv88 said:

I could be off with this as I didn't follow recruiting in '15/'16 like I do now, but he sort of reminds me of a younger, pre-injury De'Ron Davis. 

Need to see more of Booker to firm up an opinion, but he reminds me some of Chris Boucher, who played at Oregon and has had a nice run with Raptors. Booker can get bigger physically, Boucher’s always been limited by his frame, and he can have more of a true post presence. Also doubt he’s the rim protector Boucher is, few are. But long rim-running bigs with defensive versatility and 3 point range are pretty much the holy grail of today’s game.

13 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

What’s he missing? Big kid that can shoot it?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

This is my opinion, okay?  I'm just calling it as I see it.   He has very little understanding of spacing, where to be, when to be there, when to screen or why; bad footwork...  Just doesn't look or play like a basketball player.  More like a tall kid who's playing because his friends tell him he "should play basketball."  He's soft, doesn't like contact (doesn't block out, doesn't use his body in the post, very foul prone, etc), and I just don't think he's a kid who will ever be a solid Big Ten big.  Michael Durr is far better.  I'm sure many will understand what I mean by that.

8 hours ago, Old Friend said:

This is my opinion, okay?  I'm just calling it as I see it.   He has very little understanding of spacing, where to be, when to be there, when to screen or why; bad footwork...  Just doesn't look or play like a basketball player.  More like a tall kid who's playing because his friends tell him he "should play basketball."  He's soft, doesn't like contact (doesn't block out, doesn't use his body in the post, very foul prone, etc), and I just don't think he's a kid who will ever be a solid Big Ten big.  Michael Durr is far better.  I'm sure many will understand what I mean by that.

Yikes, well hopefully if you’re assessment is correct we steer clear.