Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - C Xavier Booker to Michigan State

I only know him from what I have read on here and elsewhere, but there are a lot of talented kids. Fit is more important than talent in many cases. I don't mean this to be negative toward the young man, just that we will be alright with or without him.

1 hour ago, cthomas said:

I only know him from what I have read on here and elsewhere, but there are a lot of talented kids. Fit is more important than talent in many cases. I don't mean this to be negative toward the young man, just that we will be alright with or without him.

Mitch McGary is who comes to mind

On 6/10/2022 at 2:01 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I thought Duke was his "dream school!" It's all so confusing.

I'm seeing a future press conference with five hats on the table, and one of them is IU because we're either the destination or the in-state school.

In a way, I'm kind of liking the 'too many great choices' dynamic here. If it gets overwhelming and he likes IU he might just decide to stay near home.  Especially if we have an outstanding season (reasonably likely) and Oscar pulls a hammy, leading to a complete UK meltdown. Because UK is going into this season with only nine scholarship players, and if Oscar gets injured they are really screwed in a stacked SEC.

Is it me, or is it entirely possible that our staff may have their **** together in a way that Duke and Kentucky’s currently do not?

i’d be more worried if we were competing against Arizona or Kansas on this one. I also think that Michigan State is a high end, high quality option for him.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Is it me, or is it entirely possible that our staff may have their **** together in a way that Duke and Kentucky’s currently do not?

i’d be more worried if we were competing against Arizona or Kansas on this one. I also think that Michigan State is a high end, high quality option for him.

Kentucky I think is starting to face the underachievement question. And who knows about Duke 

50 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

MSU fans are pretty confident in him

I wonder how the staffing changes might've impacted things.

I still think Demo’s right, that he’s going to take the most high-profile offer.

The case the staff can make is that the difference in wattage of exposure is marginal, but the compounded value of being a star in your home state at IU exceeds going elsewhere. And maybe more recent NBA connections at the HC job matter, too.

On 6/11/2022 at 3:18 PM, Brass Cannon said:

Kentucky I think is starting to face the underachievement question. And who knows about Duke 

I don't think UK is losing much recruiting stature by underachieving on the court or in the tournament (though it's true).

I think UK is losing recruiting steam because

1. NIL makes UK less of a "get paid now" destination, and
  2. Calipari is getting a well-earned reputation as a coach who, in the latter part of his career, is all bluster and scolding players, and less about player development, and setting a personal example of hard work. 

Players who have been there talk, and I'm thinking that the players who have left UK over the past few years have not gushed about the experience the way some did five-ten years ago.

Speculation:

• TJD (and other high value players) when they leave IU, talking about Woody: "He's like a second father to me. I love the man. And he's not afraid to tell me the truth."
  • Keion Brooks (and others) on Calipari: "He's got our back, but Cal is a little crazy. You gotta be ready for the drama." 

Far-fetched to think this is pretty damn accurate?

49 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I don't think UK is losing much recruiting stature by underachieving on the court or in the tournament (though it's true).

I think UK is losing recruiting steam more because

2. Calipari is getting a well-earned reputation as a coach who, in the latter part of his career, is all bluster and scolding players, and less about player development, and setting a personal example of hard work. 

Players who have been there talk, and I'm thinking that the players who have left UK over the past few years have not gushed about the experience the way some did five-ten years ago.

Speculation:

• TJD (and other high value players) when they leave IU, talking about Woody: "He's like a second father to me. I love the man. And he's not afraid to tell me the truth."
  • Keion Brooks (and others) on Calipari: "He's got our back, but Cal is a little crazy. You gotta be ready for the drama." 

I think you are spot on.

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I think UK is losing recruiting steam because

Speculation:

I meant more that players underachieve. Most guys play up to their ranking in college but some don’t.  And then most don’t go onto have a truly successful career.  At least not in the sense that these kids are viewing success.  Super stardom and what not 

35 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I meant more that players underachieve. Most guys play up to their ranking in college but some don’t.  And then most don’t go onto have a truly successful career.  At least not in the sense that these kids are viewing success.  Super stardom and what not 

“Hey Xavier! As a 6’10” lefty at UK you could be the next Skal Labasierre!”