Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - C Xavier Booker to Michigan State

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

My thoughts are all 3 of these guys fit the description more than a true 5. I guess, if they can defend 5s might be more important, although Reneau might be able to.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

All of them should be defensive 5s, and Reneau is a post on offense.

It’s the equivalent of having JHS at the point—when you do you can get away with a smaller catch and shoot two guard.

5 hours ago, DChoosier said:

Getting Booker would be great. Hope is is impressed, and is a fan of, our tradition, fan-base, style of play, school and coaches…….oops, I meant impressed with our NIL package. LOL

By no means am I a “lock down the borders” guy, though of course the best chance you’ve got at great talent is the closest. But my hunch is NIL helps in that regard, a state champion who already built a bit of a name locally probably has a leg up in earnings potential from the day they step on campus.

Not sure who’s making what, but as an example, Leal seems to have lots more opportunities than his PT so far would have you expect.

1 hour ago, lillurk said:

By no means am I a “lock down the borders” guy, though of course the best chance you’ve got at great talent is the closest. But my hunch is NIL helps in that regard, a state champion who already built a bit of a name locally probably has a leg up in earnings potential from the day they step on campus.

Not sure who’s making what, but as an example, Leal seems to have lots more opportunities than his PT so far would have you expect.

I was just kind of joking that recruiting is turning into a “let’s make a deal” scenario. 

You mention building a bit of a name locally and having opportunities, because of being a state champion, but how much does that matter these days when a relatively unknown guy transfers all the way to Miami and gets 800k and a car over 2 years?

We think things have changed now but just wait and see what the 2024-2025 kids will expect after seeing the money floating around this year and next. 

16 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I was just kind of joking that recruiting is turning into a “let’s make a deal” scenario. 

You mention building a bit of a name locally and having opportunities, because of being a state champion, but how much does that matter these days when a relatively unknown guy transfers all the way to Miami and gets 800k and a car over 2 years?

We think things have changed now but just wait and see what the 2024-2025 kids will expect after seeing the money floating around this year and next. 

Yeah I don’t think I said it very well. I was trying to see there’s maybe some marginal advantage, not a massive one.

They’re different players but compare JHS or Reneau to Booker in this regard; I assume they’ll make some $ as frosh, but name recognition to more casual fans, who aren’t following recruiting or checking message boards, may mean a few extra bucks for a local guy, is my theory.

Like let’s say there’s some baseline $ amount any high-4 star or 5-star frosh should expect. Wouldn’t a local prospect have slightly more potential to earn, even before playing in the uniform, because NIL sources above and beyond the norm might step up for him?

It will be interesting to see what happens but in mens basketball I think the 30 or so 5 stars, in the next year or two, will be getting/expecting a minimum of 800k-1,000,000+ to commit to a school. 

The NIL $$$ is already accelerating much quicker than I expected and we are only in the first inning.

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/roundup-xavier-booker-john-bol-isiaih-mosley

If this article is correct and a Duke offer is imminent, I imagine that will put an end to this one. He certainly seems to be looking for the highest profile offer he can get and that’s the highest profile offer he can get. 

2 hours ago, Demo said:

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/roundup-xavier-booker-john-bol-isiaih-mosley

If this article is correct and a Duke offer is imminent, I imagine that will put an end to this one. He certainly seems to be looking for the highest profile offer he can get and that’s the highest profile offer he can get. 

And some posters here were not a fan of us even recruiting this kid. Duke isn’t wrong about players very often. If they want him, he is likely a really high caliber player

20 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

And some posters here were not a fan of us even recruiting this kid. Duke isn’t wrong about players very often. If they want him, he is likely a really high caliber player

He’s an almost prototypically talented kid for today’s game. He was really good in the state tournament and he’s showed out at camps and in travel ball. So, maybe the light’s coming on for him. But the concerns about him were legit. He had way too many high school games in which, whether it was a function of boredom or just not being a naturally competitive kid, he just wasn’t impactful. I mean, at all. Like 6/3 type games. But, man, if he is figuring it out his talent can’t be ignored. 

3 hours ago, Demo said:

He’s an almost prototypically talented kid for today’s game. He was really good in the state tournament and he’s showed out at camps and in travel ball. So, maybe the light’s coming on for him. But the concerns about him were legit. He had way too many high school games in which, whether it was a function of boredom or just not being a naturally competitive kid, he just wasn’t impactful. I mean, at all. Like 6/3 type games. But, man, if he is figuring it out his talent can’t be ignored. 

Yeah this is all true. His motor has been a question mark.  But when you watch his skill set it always jumped off the page to me.  I also think he was willing to play his role on his HS team.  He didn’t have the ball in his hands a lot.  Maybe by design, idk.  They were winning, why change success, I guess.  Next year will be interesting as I’d imagine he’ll be the bigger focal point. 

Endless Motor Sports:  Quite the display of perimeter shotmaking + ballskills for 2023 Xavier Booker | @RealXman23 | of George Hill All Indy @g3risingstars @G3_All_Indy  vs NJ Scholars EYBL this morning at the Southern Jam Fest.  6’10 big hit five triples, displayed good passing + open court ballhandling.

Jamie Shaw names Booker as the Most Outstanding Player at the Southern Jam Fest.

Intrigue is probably the best word to use when talking about Xavier Booker. The lefty stands around 6-foot-10 and is a fluid athlete, able to run and move with wings. Booker knocked down at least five threes in three of the four games played. He is a lengthy athlete who uses his frame well around the basket. Booker averaged more than 20 points, eight rebounds, and three blocks leading his team to the Elite 8. There is a world of upside with this one.

Recruitment: Has talent official visits to Purdue, Indiana, Michigan State, and Kansas State (old staff)

https://www.on3.com/news/is-duke-becoming-the-team-to-beat-for-4-star-xavier-booker-notre-dame-ohio-state-working-to-get-final-visit/

Indiana: “I learned a lot about the campus atmosphere and the academic side. I already knew about them athletically; they are a good program. They have a new coach, Coach (Mike) Woodson. He is a really down-to-earth dude who cares about his team. I got an inside look and met with people on the campus and academic advisors.”