Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - C Xavier Booker to Michigan State

20 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I don’t know that happened…

Anyone have a real source that this happened?

I believe a reliable source around here framed it more like a soapbox-y monologue at Malibu Grill, I’m not sure it was (or wasn’t) an argument

33 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Woodson watched Booker today so he hasn’t thrown in the towel apparently. 

Woodys recruiting approach is not the typical college approach.   I don’t look for him being at every event of younger recruits.  Right or wrong this is how he is going about it.    Assistants find the players and they try and get them on campus and when they do he will try to close.    As you can see in short recruitments you can’t argue with the results.  3 top 30 players in less then a calendar year.   The concern will be with how this approach is in longer recruitments where you have to build relationships over a longer period of time.   I’m sure he is going to lose out on some because of his approach but until he doesn’t bring in top talent it’s hard to argue with his approach.    Him being at Bookers game today shows you Booker is on their radar still.  

3 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Woodys recruiting approach is not the typical college approach.   I don’t look for him being at every event of younger recruits.  Right or wrong this is how he is going about it.    Assistants find the players and they try and get them on campus and when they do he will try to close.    As you can see in short recruitments you can’t argue with the results.  3 top 30 players in less then a calendar year.   The concern will be with how this approach is in longer recruitments where you have to build relationships over a longer period of time.   I’m sure he is going to lose out on some because of his approach but until he doesn’t bring in top talent it’s hard to argue with his approach.    Him being at Bookers game today shows you Booker is on their radar still.  

Bob Knight approach.  I think it can work with the right assistants.  And maybe we have them. This approach add weight when he does attend games. I can see the plus sides.  

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I don’t know that happened…

Anyone have a real source that this happened?

It's been mentioned by at least three people that I've seen who claim to have sources . Flip wasn't mentioned by name but it wasn't exactly hard to figure out who  it was with the context given.  

10 minutes ago, hoosierbgh said:

It's been mentioned by at least three people that I've seen who claim to have sources . Flip wasn't mentioned by name but it wasn't exactly hard to figure out who  it was with the context given.  

I know there was some buzz, but what were the details? Was it the player? His family?

As best I remember the rumor was that Fife was underselling the need for NIL, not arguing or verbally fighting with anyone.

24 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I know there was some buzz, but what were the details? Was it the player? His family?

As best I remember the rumor was that Fife was underselling the need for NIL, not arguing or verbally fighting with anyone.

The way I understood it, the friction started between Fife and Flip and then escalated when Flip's mom got involved in what was described as either an argument or shouting match. Could it have started as Fife simply downplaying the NIL or rebuffing questions about it? Sure, that seems plausible but the comments indicated that it became more than that at some point. 

1 hour ago, hoosierbgh said:

The way I understood it, the friction started between Fife and Flip and then escalated when Flip's mom got involved in what was described as either an argument or shouting match. Could it have started as Fife simply downplaying the NIL or rebuffing questions about it? Sure, that seems plausible but the comments indicated that it became more than that at some point. 

It was at Malibu grill. It became an argument that didn’t look good for IU. Flip was asking about NIL and was basically told he should be happy with a scholarship.

17 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

It was at Malibu grill. It became an argument that didn’t look good for IU. Flip was asking about NIL and was basically told he should be happy with a scholarship.

Glad we got an NBA coach to understand this type of shift in college basketball. How inept do you have to be to talk back to a high level recruit like that. I hope Dan wakes up and looks himself in the mirror and grows through this. 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Fife must be a real turd.

10 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Is there a PISSED emoji I can put on here? We need one for instances like this. Just what the hell was Dane thinking?

Justin Young on Booker from this past weekend's Grassroots Showcase in Louisville.

When we look at the class of 2023 as a whole nationally, I think we need to start having a serious conversation about Xavier Booker as a contender at the top. We saw the full resume from him at the Grassroots Showcase. He’s a threat as a shooter, rebounder, shot-blocker, rim-runner and overall high ceiling guy. On opening night against a fellow nationally-ranked 6-foot-10 player in John Butler, Booker went to work. He scored 27-points, torched the nets for four three-pointers, he grabbed rebounds off the rim as soon as he could and started the break. Long term, there wasn't a higher ceiling player in the field and no other player drew as many head coaches as Booker did. Last year we saw the Thompson twins of Florida PRO and Anthony Black of 3D Empire have their signature moments. This year, it was clearly Booker. 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Not going to lie when I read this I thought you were trying to steer the conversation towards Johnson and I was like “why does ziggy want the world to burn” 

Some people jsut want to watch that

12 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Seems like our top notch TJD/Center recruits for 2023 are:

Arringten Page

KJ Evans

Xavier Booker

Am I missing anyone?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

This looks solid considering who we have watched/offered. I suppose portal C would be a backup. 

Also, I hope if KJ comes here, he never has to play primary post. From the Montverde games I have watched, he is much more suitable for the wing. 

This looks solid considering who we have watched/offered. I suppose portal C would be a backup. 
Also, I hope if KJ comes here, he never has to play primary post. From the Montverde games I have watched, he is much more suitable for the wing. 

My thoughts are all 3 of these guys fit the description more than a true 5. I guess, if they can defend 5s might be more important, although Reneau might be able to.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app