Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - C Xavier Booker to Michigan State

11 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Idk about him, but he’s always been impressive to me in the games I’ve watched. Will be interesting to see how he handles more offensive output next season. He’s smooth. As with many high school guys I’ve watched, his intensity level could go up 3 or 4 notches. I also liked the Kekionga Monster or WTHever his name is. I’ve got my eye on him whenever I figure out his name. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Wasn't it Kokomo Monster?

Flory Bidunga?

Eric Bossi on Booker - https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/College-basketball-recruiting-Xavier-Booker-Illinois-Indiana-Michigan-State-Notre-Dame-Ohio-State-Purdue-185875558/

Indiana: “With Coach (Mike) Woodson it is about relationships and everything. Coach Woodson likes to reach out to me a lot. One thing with him is most coaches will tell me everything I am doing right, but he’ll also tell me the things that I need to improve on. They give me things to work on and I appreciate that on their end.”

19 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Eric Bossi on Booker - https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/College-basketball-recruiting-Xavier-Booker-Illinois-Indiana-Michigan-State-Notre-Dame-Ohio-State-Purdue-185875558/

Indiana: “With Coach (Mike) Woodson it is about relationships and everything. Coach Woodson likes to reach out to me a lot. One thing with him is most coaches will tell me everything I am doing right, but he’ll also tell me the things that I need to improve on. They give me things to work on and I appreciate that on their end.”

IU/MSU/PU battle.

Love to see that one of the things he recognizes is a more consistent motor.

6 minutes ago, Woodson1980 said:

What leads you to think that?

Izzo has been really recruiting him hard. Going to a regional game, along with the state championship. Rumors around him and his family all say that MSU is the lead. Some have even hinted at a silent verbal or whatever that is. Just get that feeling

I think Demo’s probably right that he’s a “best offer” prospect, so MSU, or UK if they jump in, maybe. But it’s possible if he’s a late decision that IU has a good, noisy year, and he thinks joining Cupps, Newton, etc. has buzz.

Assume only one of Bidunga or Booker is a Hoosier, so the staff will have to figure out who they want most, if the Bidunga blowup is real.

15 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I think Demo’s probably right that he’s a “best offer” prospect, so MSU, or UK if they jump in, maybe. But it’s possible if he’s a late decision that IU has a good, noisy year, and he thinks joining Cupps, Newton, etc. has buzz.

Assume only one of Bidunga or Booker is a Hoosier, so the staff will have to figure out who they want most, if the Bidunga blowup is real.

I’m not convinced recruits are going to continue to think that UK is a best offer forever.

Things can change

40 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I’m not convinced recruits are going to continue to think that UK is a best offer forever.

Things can change

Agreed, right now it seems clear a Scheyer Duke offer is the most coveted one (not speaking for Booker — though probably — but more generally). Possible UK wasn’t a great example. They get dudes but the recent classes haven’t been the heyday Cal ones.

Justin Young at last night's Grassroots Showcase event.

The action tipped off in a big way at the 2022 Grassroots Showcase on Friday night at the Kentucky Expo Center. With over 675 teams and 57 courts of action, there was a lot to take in. There was one match-up and one showing that stood out above the rest. Let’s talk about Xavier Booker of George Hill Indy Elite.

When you take a big picture view at the class of 2023, you know a lot of the names at the very top of the class. You’ve read them with a 1. Or a 2. Or a 3. Next to their names for years. DJ Wagner, Kwame Evans Jr. and Mackenzie Mgbako have ruled the realm at the top of the class for several years.

But are they locks for that top spot? Are they?

Let’s talk Xavier Booker in that conversation. Seriously. Let’s. The 6-foot-10 big man from Indianapolis certainly looked like a player who should be in the conversation for the class of 2023.

Seriously.

In a headliner match-up on opening night, Booker was paired with 1 of 1 big man Jordan Butler out of North Carolina. The court was overrun with fans wanting to see the action on the big stage. Booker didn’t disappoint. He pumped in a loud 27 points on an array of big-time plays. Booker scored on plays at and above the rim, knock down three-pointers and just about anything he wanted to do. As a rebounder, he grabbed everything.

When you take a big picture view of Booker, there is no reason to think he can’t be in the conversation. How do you really grade a team’s interest In a player? Just take a look at who is watching on the opening night of a live period. Tom Izzo of Michigan State, Juwan Howard of Michigan and Mike Brey of Notre Dame were all sitting on the baseline on Friday night to see Booker In action. Coaches from Duke, Purdue and Utah were also in attendance.

The tone was set, the message was delivered and those who saw what Booker and his teammates did on the opening night took note. That was made quite clear on Friday night.

He’s a contender, y’all.