Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - SG Jakai Newton to INDIANA

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Oh... so he could easily could have been 2024. Didn't realize he was so young. For example-- Hulls birthday was earlier this week in May, but he/his parents chose for him to start school late and was classed with kids younger than him, compared to Jakai, everyone is older. 

Stuff I think about as a teacher. (Laughing emoji) 

Yeah, I don’t know if it’s a cultural piece down there or it’s just a Ya predilection, but a lot of his offers were young for the class. Newton, Coen Carr, Clowney, Ace Bailey, Akai Fleming, Caleb Wilson, I’m sure I’m forgetting some, but all of them were young. And I don’t think he’s offered a single kid who’s old.

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Those bad @$$ guards that Baylor a Houston have won a ton of games with?

If healthy, that should be Jakai Newton someday soon.

Yup. Because of the time missed a lot of analysts have put him back of mind. But if he’s 100% physically and mentally Newton’s got some rare traits. Even with the time lost it would not shock me if by B1G season he forces Woody to find him minutes. 

4 hours ago, Demo said:

Yup. Because of the time missed a lot of analysts have put him back of mind. But if he’s 100% physically and mentally Newton’s got some rare traits. Even with the time lost it would not shock me if by B1G season he forces Woody to find him minutes. 

He is a first step monster.

He can be a defensive stopper nationally. Physicality, wingspan, athleticism, and attitude.

He’s gonna be one of those guys who plays like someone’s gonna punch his grandma if he lets them score—a scowler.

The kid is a warrior. 

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

He is a first step monster.

He can be a defensive stopper nationally. Physicality, wingspan, athleticism, and attitude.

He’s gonna be one of those guys who plays like someone’s gonna punch his grandma if he lets them score—a scowler.

The kid is a warrior. 

Your “Baylor/Houston guard” is a great comp. Between that and Demo’s Cupps :: Jay Wright guard comp, I love where the backcourt is going.

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/article/indiana-freshman-jakai-newton-opens-up-about-knee-injury-says-its-getting-better-every-week-212997322/

Ok, this is way more about Newton’s knee situation. Had a similar procedure, an osteochondral drilling, in 2000 and my knee never came all the way back. But, an 18 yo body, advanced technology and a dedicated staff I’m sure bode well for his prospects, long term.