Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - SG Jakai Newton to INDIANA

10 minutes ago, Demo said:

Caught that too. Also, late in the game they subbed him O for D a couple of times. No idea why you would do that.

They corrected themselves a little later and clarified it was a meniscus.   

17 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

They corrected themselves a little later and clarified it was a meniscus.   

I call bullshirt.

From the Cleveland Clinic:

What is meniscus surgery recovery like? 
The recovery time for meniscus surgery depends on the type of surgery you had. It takes longer for a meniscus repair to heal than a meniscectomy. Full recovery from meniscus surgery can take anywhere from six weeks to three months.

9 minutes ago, J34 said:

Jakai with the block against the #1 recruit in the country!

https://twitter.com/SCNext/status/1622761821987041282?s=20&t=ISVLvJZ5kqYAynGNi7IBoA

The Collier block deservedly got all the run, but I really like this one for handling a 6’9” kid who turned down an IU offer. Athletically, Newton’s just a different kid. 

Last Friday, Newton lost to Grayson 63-56.  I haven't seen any storylines to know if Jakai played or not.  I did see a mention that Stephon Castle did not play for Newton.

Pre-tournament story.

https://www.covnews.com/sports/newton/newton-rams-big-3-has-eyes-on-state-title-in-senior-seasons/

51 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I think Jakai’s season ended last night in a 62-49 loss to Grayson and there’s no mention of Jakai in post-game stories I found.  Post-game scuffle between coaching staffs over Grayson’s celebration at mid-court.

You could see the scuffle coming for the last couple of minutes. The coaches were woofing. Newton had a pretty poor 1st half and a pretty good 2nd. Finished with maybe 11 in about 15 mins. Also had a couple of blocks and a couple of steals. 1 play I wish I knew how to post where he pantsed some poor kid with a between the legs crossover that was as NBA as it gets. Wow, was it cool. Took a hard fall late, 1 of 3 he took in the game, was taken out and had ice on his unrepaired knee while shaking hands. Seemed fine. 

14 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Newton 68-57 win over Harrison and plays Pebblebrook on Saturday in a Sweet Sixteen game.  From the newspaper account:  “The Rams were without senior guard Jakai Newton….”   No mention of why.

Didn’t dress, but was on the bench and looked to be moving fine. Took a fall near the end of the Grayson game and had ice on his knee going through the handshake line. So, guessing just precautionary. 

Earlier today, Newton defeated Pebblebrook 73-51 to advance to the Class AAAAAAA state boys basketball quarterfinals for the second year in a row.  Jakai played and scored 10 points.  Newton will play Norcross Wednesday night,.

https://www.rockdalenewtoncitizen.com/sports/m-j-whitlock-newton-rams-overwhelm-pebblebrook-to-reach-elite-eight/article_6f4a0b0e-b579-11ed-8045-733a0d43213a.html

5 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Jakai's high school career ended last night in a 58-56 OT loss to Norcross.  He had 9 points in the game.

Do you think he's going to be able to get on campus and start working or is he still in recovery mode? Maybe the time he has to the end of the school year is enough?

Now that our focus is on next year, what should we expect from Newton?  

An athletic guard with great size and wingspan. If it weren’t for the knee injury my expectations would be higher but I think that injury will really set him back since his athleticism is such a big part of his game.

He can shoot the midrange. 3 ball is super iffy. Capable defender.

Decent handle but not a PG. Fast.

I think his injury puts him 10-13 deep chart this season and in the old days a perfect red-shirt candidate.

But if healthy and Confident he could make a push as an athletic defender.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, Demo said:

Turns 18 today.

Oh... so he could easily could have been 2024. Didn't realize he was so young. For example-- Hulls birthday was earlier this week in May, but he/his parents chose for him to start school late and was classed with kids younger than him, compared to Jakai, everyone is older. 

Stuff I think about as a teacher. (Laughing emoji)