Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - SG Jakai Newton to INDIANA

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

What was Newton's knee injury? ACL? MCL? 

No idea. He took a fairly nasty fall in the 2nd Under Armour session and I thought he aggravated a hip that he’d bruised toward the end of his HS  season. Was really surprised to hear it was a knee. 

13 minutes ago, ebridges24 said:

When does Jaklai return to the court.

Watched part of a Newton HS game last week and Newton was dressed and shooting during warmups, but didn’t play. So must be close.

Jakai finally going to see some game action but likely to be pretty limited minutes.  Watched the Tuesday night game and he was wearing what looked like a pretty bulky brace on his knee while sitting on the sidelines.  If that's the brace he wears tonight, his mobility will surely be restricted.

Jakai finally going to see some game action but likely to be pretty limited minutes.  Watched the Tuesday night game and he was wearing what looked like a pretty bulky brace on his knee while sitting on the sidelines.  If that's the brace he wears tonight, his mobility will surely be restricted.

[/url]  

Great for Jakai, has to be tough missing that amount of time.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

4 hours ago, realTomCrean said:

ACL is seemingly healed  

Around the 40 sec. mark when his teammate throws it off the backboard for Jakai to slam home, he lands completely on his left leg and looks to me like he might have been limping ever so slightly after that.  Hope I'm wrong.

On 2/4/2023 at 5:57 AM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Around the 40 sec. mark when his teammate throws it off the backboard for Jakai to slam home, he lands completely on his left leg and looks to me like he might have been limping ever so slightly after that.  Hope I'm wrong.

Great eyes. I didn't notice that the first time. One of my football players in my position group had back to back ACL tears before his senior season - toughed out his senior year after 2 years of rehab. Made all conference and got a scholarship to play in college.

For Jakai’s sake I hope that it is nothing that will cost him more playing time. Always feel for kids missing out on their HS sport because of injury especially as a senior.

Edited by realTomCrean

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but if there's any uncertainty about JN's physical health it would be wise to keep our eyes open for decomits or portal players that play the same position.  I'm not suggesting dumping him at all, but don't make any assumptions about if/when he can return to pre-injury form.

Covington News - 

LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. — Up until Friday night, the Newton Rams have played shorthanded. Their 4-star combo guard, Jakai Newton had been out rehabbing a knee injury for nine months. 

Newton's hiatus ended on Friday when the Rams traveled to Archer to down the Tigers 65-55. 

Though Newton didn't have a spectacular game for his standards, his 12 points might have been what sparked the Rams' comeback on the road. 

Experiencing live action for the first time his senior season was humbling. 

"I'm just blessed to be back on the court," Newton said. "It's been a long process of rehabbing and just trying to stay positive mentally. I still have to get my feel for the game back but that'll come with time." 

While Newton has been working on his return to the court, he's been courtside cheering his teammates on. 

But his seat on Friday was much better than being subject to the sideline. 

Actually, Newton highlighted one of the top things that had him on the edge of his seat to return. 

"I missed competing the most," Newton said. "Just going out there and hooping, and being the best that I can be." 

Friday's win helps the Rams improve to 15-7 overall and 7-1 in Region 4-AAAAAAA, which reaffirms their top spot in the standings. 

The Rams sweep Archer in their regular season series, too, and are currently on a four-game win streak. 

Now, they'll hit the road to face Wheeler High School in a ESPN televised event on Monday at 7 p.m. Then the Rams return home looking to avenge their lone region loss against Parkview on Tuesday. 

Finally, the regular season finale will be at Grayson — a team Newton defeated at home on Jan. 24, 54-43. 

When asked how his injury affected his desire to help the Rams achieve their ultimate goal of a state title, Newton was straight to the point. 

"The nine months I've been out has given my body the rest that I needed," Newton said. "But how much I want to win doesn't change. The goal was to win before I got hurt and it still is."

If you don't read the entire Rivals story..............................

Newton takes on in-state rival and powerhouse Wheeler (Ga.) on Monday night at 7 pm ET on ESPNU. It will be a matchup of stars with Newton's backcourt duo of five-star guard and UConn signee Stephon Castle paired with Jaka Newton, going up against Wheeler's duo of No. 1 overall prospect and point guard Isaiah Collier and four-star forward Arrinten Page -- both signed to go to USC.

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

Newton (HS) are the Lettuce All-Americans. 

Also, Jakai just sonned Collier at the rim. Mercy. This looks like an SEC game. 

I think he is going to be fine down in Bloomington.  That block was nice.   He has 9 pts as well.  Not bad for his 2nd game in 9 months