Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - SG Jakai Newton to INDIANA

On 12/12/2021 at 9:29 AM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

NHS ran its record to 9-0 with a 69 -41 win over Pinson Valley but I've not found any game details.

This game was over early and Jakai and the starters only played about 16 minutes.  I had him with 9  pts on 4-5 FG; 1-1 on 3s; 0 FT; 3 reb; 2 asst; 1 stl; 1 blk; 2 TO.

NHS participating in the Allstate Sugar Bowl National Prep Classic in New Orleans.  First round game today they defeated John Curtis Christian Boys School 77-53 and will play the winner of St. Mary's (AZ) vs Country Day tomorrow at 5:00 ET.  Jakai with 19 pts. and 5 reb.

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Quite a performance from Jakai in the championship game.  NHS trailed 24-21 at the half.  At the end of the 3rd Q they led 44-39 as Jakai took the game over scoring 12 pts going 3-3 on 2s and 2-2 on 3s.  He's fearless and clearly demonstrated he can finish at the rim with either hand.  For the game he had 25 points on 8-13 FG; 3-3 on 3s; 6-11 FT; 7 reb.  Final score was NHS 67    Beaumont United 54

And, if you don’t hate SEC country enough, as Newton is dominating the 2nd half, one of Louisiana announcers says, “I don’t think this Indiana commitment is gonna stick.”  The arrogance is in the water down there.

Newton’s boys basketball team, fresh off two victories at the Super Bowl Classic in New Orleans, is Georgia’s No. 1 team in Class 7A.

The Rams (13-1) defeated Westminster Academy of Florida 65-36 and Beaumont United of Texas 67-54 over the weekend.

Beaumont is Texas’ defending Class 5A champion and ranked No. 23 nationally by MaxPreps, but Newton overcame a 17-4 deficit, and Indiana-committed guard Jakai Newton scored 25 points and had seven rebounds. Newton is No. 21 nationally.

12 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Newton’s boys basketball team, fresh off two victories at the Super Bowl Classic in New Orleans, is Georgia’s No. 1 team in Class 7A.

The Rams (13-1) defeated Westminster Academy of Florida 65-36 and Beaumont United of Texas 67-54 over the weekend.

Beaumont is Texas’ defending Class 5A champion and ranked No. 23 nationally by MaxPreps, but Newton overcame a 17-4 deficit, and Indiana-committed guard Jakai Newton scored 25 points and had seven rebounds. Newton is No. 21 nationally.

all very impressive!

11 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

4 high major guards, all ‘23’s. Been a minute since I remember that being the case for a normal high school program. 

If you missed Jakai's game against Beaumont United you can watch it at the link below.  At the very least watch the 2nd half where he simply takes over for NHS.

https://crescentcitysports.com/newton-uses-big-second-half-to-wear-down-beaumont-united-for-sugar-bowl-boys-national-title/

Coming off their win in the Sugar Bowl Classic NHS was back home to take on Parkview.  NHS led by 27 at the half it was 62-36 at the end of 3.  Late in the 3rd, Jakai picked up his 3rd foul and went to the bench and slowly the remaining starters were subbed out.  Parkview wouldn't give up and the final score was 76-68 as the NHS head coach rode his subs all the way to game's end.  I had Jakai with 11p  /  4r  /  2a  /  1s  /  0b  /  2t

Story on Jakai from Osterman.  Point of clarification in that he references a Friday night game vs Rockdale County and you might infer he's talking about Jan. 7, when in fact that Rockdale game was played on Dec. 3.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2022/01/13/scouting-report-jakai-newton-2023-indiana-hoosiers-basketball-recruit/6422628001/

NHS (14-2) lost its second game of the season last night to Cumberland Christian 59-48 in a game that from the various tweets I saw, NHS was flat from the opening tipoff and the game was really never in doubt as CC controlled the pace and didn't allow NHS to get into its running game.  CC led after 1, 16-8 after 3 quarters the CC lead was 46-29 and the NHS rally was too little too late.  I've not found any game stats for Jakai.

From the Covington News:

Winning four games in a row presents a challenge all its own. There comes an added difficulty in having to do so in three days.  Largely due to Jakai Newton, the Newton Rams won the 2022 AllState Sugar Bowl National Prep Classic in Louisiana a few weeks ago. 

In the tournament, Newton averaged nearly 20 points per game which included a 25-point, seven-rebound performance in the championship game on Jan. 8.   Newton’s performances earned him the tournament’s Most Valuable Player award, too. 

For Newton, it was a special honor.  “It was a good feeling,” Newton said. “I worked hard for it and had to just come out there and play my game.” 

Newton is one of three juniors on this year’s Rams team who is committed to a Division I college. He committed to the University of Indiana on Oct. 22, 2021, to further his basketball career. 

His contributions have helped lead the Rams to a 14-3 record and being No. 1 in Class 7A rankings.

Head coach Charlemagne Gibbons recognized how important Newton’s play has been to the Rams’ success this season.  “He’s been playing great basketball all season long,” Gibbons said. “And he understands that our teams need him to be aggressive. And I think his aggressiveness [in the tournament] showed people what kind of player he can be.”