Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - SG Jakai Newton to INDIANA

7 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

I’m sure it is. But then again, they literally just ranked him 117 a week ago. So my point remains, no way. 

They ranked him pretty hard on his bad AAU games and more on current standing than potential. Rivals ranked more based on his best games and his future potential. That’s why they are so different and he’s likely someplace in the middle of the 2 

I don’t see this link in here yet, SIAP: https://www.insidethehall.com/2021/10/22/video-class-of-2023-iu-commit-jakai-newton-summer-highlights/

IANAS (I am not a scout), but the variety of interior finishes here is remarkable for a guard: both hands, off one or two feet, “wrong hand” finishes when it’s best (e.g. right hand from left side to gain an advantage), floaters, OREB tip dunks, off glass or not, always in control.

Of course it’s highlights, but as @HoosierX noted he’s going both ways and you see a range of ways he succeeds here. Seems notable for a player who hasn’t played a game of his junior season yet.

2 hours ago, Stromboli said:

Dude I think Woodson is looking for great teammates. Talent too, for sure. But he’s trying to create a cohesive team of good dudes. All these guys come from just great families. 

Good observation. We have several examples just in the B1G what a solid, cohesive team can accomplish even if not the most talented. You take that model and step up the talent a level or two, might be on to something!

5 hours ago, DWB said:

Just listened to the HH podcast with Jakai plus his parents. Like Leal's, Bates' and many others, his family is awesome, and he's a great kid. Very mature for a 16 yr old at this point.

BUT...the interesting tidbit that came out in the interview is that Jakai just decided 2-3 months ago to concentrate on BBall. He's this good as a sophomore in HS, and he hasn't really focused on it like most others have by now. To me...that makes for a very high ceiling for the kid. And he's perfect for the culture that Woody's trying to instill.

Great observation and I expect his ranking to soar because of it. 

1 hour ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

With him concentrating on hoops AND committing to a school like IU, wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see him end up as a 5 star.

And just like that you're no longer a Purdue Jockstrap.  Now wasn't that easy?   lol