Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - SG Jakai Newton to INDIANA

6 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

I'd really like to see Newton end up a Hoosier. I would also really like it if he decided really soon

Has he committed seems to be the question. 

25 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

I'd really like to see Newton end up a Hoosier. I would also really like it if he decided really soon

Yup. Given his age and present athleticism, it’s really easy to see him sprout to about 6’4” and show up at some EYBL event next spring looking like the 2nd coming of Russell Westbrook and he just gets buried in offers. Better to lock him up and call it a day.

1 minute ago, Demo said:

Yup. Given his age and present athleticism, it’s really easy to see him sprout to about 6’4” and show up at some EYBL event next spring looking like the 2nd coming of Russell Westbrook and he just gets buried in offers. Better to lock him up and call it a day.

He already is 6'4 with a 6'10 wingspan

4 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

He already is 6'4 with a 6'10 wingspan

Really? Nice. That forces me to take another look at Stephon Castle. He’s always listed at 6’5”,  but in the fall league games of theirs I watched he had a full 2” on Newton. Their HS team is gonna be must see tv this winter.

1 minute ago, Demo said:

Really? Nice. That forces me to take another look at Stephon Castle. He’s always listed at 6’5”,  but in the fall league games of theirs I watched he had a full 2” on Newton. Their HS team is gonna be must see tv this winter.

Yeah Castle is 6'6 now

This one will be over quick.

Travis Branham @TravisBranham_      2023 four-star CG Jakai Newton will announce his college decision live on @CBSSportsHQ on Friday, October 22nd at 3:00 PM ET, he tells @247Sports.

Jakai Newton, the No. 67 overall prospect in the 2023 Composite Rankings, is set to make his college announcement on Friday, October 22nd at 3:00 PM ET, he tells 247Sports.

The 6-foot-3, 190-pound combo guard out of Covington (Ga.) Newton holds offers from Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, Indiana and Vanderbilt amongst many others and he will make his decision live on CBS Sports HQ on Friday afternoon.

Of the schools that have been in pursuit, he says that three have stood out the most heading into his announcement: Georgia, Indiana and Vanderbilt.

The four-star prospect further broke down his thoughts on the three programs ahead of his decision on Friday.

Indiana: "It just feels like a home and the players he has coached. He has coached a lot of successful players and there are things he brings outside of basketball too."

Georgia: "Just the fact that it's close to home and they got coach [Tom] Crean who is a good coach, but mainly that it's so close to home."

Vanderbilt: "They just have experience with the coaching staff. Jerry Stackhouse, coach [Michael] Curry and I got to meet some of the others and they are all real cool."

What will he bring to his future program, in his own eyes?

"I will bring a lot of energy, a lot of dunks and a lot of winning," he said.

Newton is ranked as the No. 12 overall combo guard in the class and you can tune into his decision on Live on Friday at 3:00 PM ET, on CBS Sports HQ.

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

This one will be over quick.

Travis Branham @TravisBranham_      2023 four-star CG Jakai Newton will announce his college decision live on @CBSSportsHQ on Friday, October 22nd at 3:00 PM ET, he tells @247Sports.

Jakai Newton, the No. 67 overall prospect in the 2023 Composite Rankings, is set to make his college announcement on Friday, October 22nd at 3:00 PM ET, he tells 247Sports.

The 6-foot-3, 190-pound combo guard out of Covington (Ga.) Newton holds offers from Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, Indiana and Vanderbilt amongst many others and he will make his decision live on CBS Sports HQ on Friday afternoon.

Of the schools that have been in pursuit, he says that three have stood out the most heading into his announcement: Georgia, Indiana and Vanderbilt.

The four-star prospect further broke down his thoughts on the three programs ahead of his decision on Friday.

Indiana: "It just feels like a home and the players he has coached. He has coached a lot of successful players and there are things he brings outside of basketball too."

Georgia: "Just the fact that it's close to home and they got coach [Tom] Crean who is a good coach, but mainly that it's so close to home."

Vanderbilt: "They just have experience with the coaching staff. Jerry Stackhouse, coach [Michael] Curry and I got to meet some of the others and they are all real cool."

What will he bring to his future program, in his own eyes?

"I will bring a lot of energy, a lot of dunks and a lot of winning," he said.

Newton is ranked as the No. 12 overall combo guard in the class and you can tune into his decision on Live on Friday at 3:00 PM ET, on CBS Sports HQ.

Freaking love it! Rosemond is doing work.

4 hours ago, Demo said:

Was just perusing his Mom’s Twitter feed. She is objectively great and they appear to be a pretty spectacular family. Has a Master’s in Psychology and runs a non-profit that works with families of kids with disabilities. Just good, good folks. Getting happier about this one all the time.

Explosive skill set and academically super high-end family? That’s similar to Oladpio. Jakai also said his shot needs improvement, and he's getting up as many shots a day as possible. Just like Vic did. 

Another treat -- London Johnson is a friend of Jakai from GA and just "liked" his commitment date Tweet.

Another treat -- Jakai is AAU teammates with Stephen Castle and, ready for this Demo? Isaiah Collier.

36 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

The rumor was out this morning that he committed today. It think it’s likely that he did and requested and edit to post to go along with his live announcement.

You know more about this than I do. Maybe it all comes down to 1 person starting a rumor but I have heard from several that say we have received a verbal from Newton. 

IMO the next 4 to be Hoosiers

Newton

Clowney

Cupp

Booker