Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierHoopster

Supreme Court Favor Athletes in Narrow Ruling on NCAA Rules

I didn't serve, and I don't want to equate the two things, but don't people in the military get paid on top of the free room and board and education?
Umm.... They get paid to get shot at, not get shots up. Seems like a subtle difference? And can't go job hopping when they don't play. But guess what, no coach will fire these kids for 52% FT shooting like in the real world.

As much as I hate the NCAA, if you don't believe these kids already get perks, you're blind.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using BtownBanners mobile app

6 hours ago, Lebowski said:

Couldn't that be said for all sports at all levels?  I mean I still wear my Pacers t-shirt that I bought back during the Reggie Miller days from time to time.

I see a lot more fans of professional sports being more fans of stat players and not teams

11 minutes ago, Schreckbagger said:

Umm.... They get paid to get shot at, not get shots up. Seems like a subtle difference? And can't go job hopping when they don't play. But guess what, no coach will fire these kids for 52% FT shooting like in the real world.

As much as I hate the NCAA, if you don't believe these kids already get perks, you're blind.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using BtownBanners mobile app

They get plenty of perks, just look at where the basketball players live for free.  Also look at the money that is spent on trading and health care for the players.  Also I have said many times if they handle their scholarship money wisely they should live large.  If they get total cost of attendance the money that goes to meal plans and room and board should go directly to the player.  They get a stipend for their housing as well and DD had said that is about 1200 a month.  My daughter got a full ride which was total cost of attendance and once she moved out of the dorms she got a check for about $11,000 a semester.  She had enough to pay for her apartment and food and didn't need any help from me.  I never want to here there players saying they are treated like slaves when they have all of these things given to them.

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I see a lot more fans of professional sports being more fans of stat players and not teams

That's cool kind sir.  I guess I'm an old school fan and cheer for the organizations as a whole.  Living in multiple cities during my lifetime I can tell you with certainty that I didn't/don't experience what you are.  I've encountered more water cooler conversations on the team compared to a player's stats.  The occasional no hitter, 5 TDs passing and triple double gets brought up, obviously.  But more times than not it's conversation about where the team is going or how they played or what I experienced at the game, etc. etc.  

Out of state IU players get the equivalent of $53k a year with the full COA. That’s the equivalent of $70k pre-tax. They also get a bunch of free gear and free media exposure. Would TJD get more than that on a free market? Yeah probably. (Obviously he’s in-state so not quite the same). But would Logan Duncomb? Probably not. Would a third string offensive lineman on iufb? Probably not. They shouldn’t pay players salaries as that would cause too many issues, but they definitely should let players get paid for their NIL. If a business wants to pay $5k for a commercial, let them.