Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JimmerNoe

New Jerseys/Alternate Jerseys

15 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

There is absolutely NO question that, win or lose, Woody will be mindful of and fully embrace tradition.

While doing so, he should also embrace change that will be attractive to players and new era fans.

So, something like RMK, Buckner, or Whitman modeling a ‘now and then special edition’ modern jersey would be nice.

And you call yourself an IU fan.  Randy wishes upon you a thousand fleas in your crotch and your arms too short to scratch.

2 hours ago, JimmerNoe said:

To those of you that have purchased jerseys in the past, is there a player whose jersey you’d specifically want? Not myself, but I can imagine someone wanting an Oladipo jersey or a Yogi jersey rather than just the number. I think with the NIL players would get a share of jersey sales but doubt they could if the name isn’t attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favorite player was Quinn Buckner (a classmate by the way) and in 1976 I bought a full authentic IU uniform with candy stripe warmup pants and script Indiana warmup jacket - I chose #21 of course. Never wore it and still have it stowed away. I can’t remember what I paid for it but do remember it was DAMNED PRICEY!!!

Infatuation is those wanting it to change. I don't think about it at all, until someone doesn't find it "good enough". They, on the other hand, are thinking about it.

Your point makes sense. Was just addressing that comment.

Good luck to your son.

I agree. I never think twice about the names or what a uniform looks like(unless they are really ugly like the Astros' unis in the 70s).

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

A counterpoint would be that you can absolutely still recruit team first players while having names on jerseys. Every NCAA champion going back to before every single current college basketball player was born had names on the back of their jerseys. (I’m not sure if this is entirely true but if it’s not it’s very close :-)…)

And you're absolutely right. It can be done. But I think it's one thing that really makes IU different than all the rest. 

But I'm an old fart, and old school. Guess it's really up to Woody, and not us.

On 6/18/2021 at 7:45 PM, JimmerNoe said:

f3c0c6d35ce6d5ced11e1252d1e9dfe3.jpg
For reference, these are some of the concepts from the Twitter post (credit to Rygi13)

I like them all except the black alternate. It’s not part of our school colors and has no business being one of our uniforms. The Cam Cameron-era football helmets should’ve ended that experiment.

33 minutes ago, Southside said:

I could care less about jerseys right now. I just want to win. Just nothing political please. Political = divisive. Just keep it simple. I don't care about font, colors, style.... I'd be just fine with any of the 6 concepts. Just win baby.

Lol I’m with you, but if they win they can have an ultra-political “Leroy Fuzzbudget for State Senate” bumper sticker across their foreheads and I’d still be just fine!

9 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I agree. I never think twice about the names or what a uniform looks like(unless they are really ugly like the Astros' unis in the 70s).

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Loved the Astros uniforms

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Lol I’m with you, but if they win they can have an ultra-political “Leroy Fuzzbudget for State Senate” bumper sticker across their foreheads and I’d still be just fine!

If we won a NC, I might not care lol. But anything, and I mean ANYTHING political only divides the fan base. And our fan base is already dwindling. 20 years ago, there were far less PU, ND, and Butler fans in IN. IU fanbase has been dropping off, and we just need to get back to basketball. I'd just like for people/fans to start enjoying sports again, for the game, and stop making it a tool for politicians. 

On 6/18/2021 at 8:11 PM, Josh said:

Only old people hate jersey changes.  Bring it on. Including names on the back

I'm an old person. Well, if 53 is old. And I'm not all that concerned about jerseys (although I don't want any version of black -- that's what little brother to the north wears). I'm with whoever said they just want them to win again. Although with basketball, any fan should know all the players anyway, so I never thought names on jerseys were that big of a deal. Football -- with 80-plus players -- is a different story. However, if they decide to  put names on basketball jerseys, I won't kick up any fuss. 

BTW, as one of those "old people," I've actually been around for the glory of old IU -- was a freshman when we won our last title and remember watching the 1976 and '81 teams win nattys. And watching one get away from the '93 team (damn Alan Henderson injury). 

How many titles have you seen, "young person?"

6 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

I'm an old person. Well, if 53 is old. And I'm not all that concerned about jerseys (although I don't want any version of black -- that's what little brother to the north wears). I'm with whoever said they just want them to win again. Although with basketball, any fan should know all the players anyway, so I never thought names on jerseys were that big of a deal. Football -- with 80-plus players -- is a different story. However, if they decide to  put names on basketball jerseys, I won't kick up any fuss. 

BTW, as one of those "old people," I've actually been around for the glory of old IU -- was a freshman when we won our last title and remember watching the 1976 and '81 teams win nattys. And watching one get away from the '93 team (damn Alan Henderson injury). 

Right there with you, 54, was there for '76, '81 and '87, the last as a junior (and maybe I know something about that fish still missing from Showalter Fountain... that was a fun night ... :) There's a lot about IU's tradition I'm big on, but the jersey thing is just one thing and times have changed, can absolutely be all about IU and still want your name on the back, nothing wrong with that at all

20 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Right there with you, 54, was there for '76, '81 and '87, the last as a junior (and maybe I know something about that fish still missing from Showalter Fountain... that was a fun night ... :) There's a lot about IU's tradition I'm big on, but the jersey thing is just one thing and times have changed, can absolutely be all about IU and still want your name on the back, nothing wrong with that at all

Before I die I really want to know where that fish is lol.

On 6/20/2021 at 7:49 AM, LamarCheeks said:

Haha, I'm an old person too.  I watched the 76 title through my mother's umbilical cord, then 81 and 87 on the TV.  

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Your mom had umbilical cable tv?

That is soooooo cool!

It was color too!

Think about this...1976.  The Hoosiers go 32-0 and I was born.  Perfection.

On 6/18/2021 at 7:45 PM, JimmerNoe said:

f3c0c6d35ce6d5ced11e1252d1e9dfe3.jpg
For reference, these are some of the concepts from the Twitter post (credit to Rygi13)

1,2,3,4 yes.  5   Eh. Like the shorts more than the jersey.  6 HELL no.   I really like 3 and 4.  We tried black in football a couple of times and I remember Cam Cameron saying "We didn't look like Indiana."  He was right.

When you take over a program, you take over the traditions that go with it.  Age has nothing to do with that.   I'm younger than at least 3 of the self-admitted" old people; but that comment alone just screams entitlement and whiney young guy who thinks he knows everything.   As the saying goes, "you play for the name on the front, not the name on the back."   Guys who never had names on their jerseys have all done just fine.   

In reality, I'm ok with mixing things up.  I really like our candystripes and hope we never get rid of them, but if the players want to mix it up for a couple of games we should let them.  Go crazy, have fun.  Names on the back?  Who cares.  Doesn't matter to me at all.  The only tradition I truly care about is winning basketball.