Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JimmerNoe

New Jerseys/Alternate Jerseys

How does everyone feel about a few alternate jerseys? Usually pretty polarizing because people love the tradition (won’t get into names on the back), but I like the idea of seeing a few games per year in something different. The new white jersey Justin Taylor is wearing in his photo shoot look awesome in my opinion! It may be a small factor, but I think kids probably get excited about new/different unis. The “City” edition NBA jerseys have produced some really awesome looks. I think I’ve seen some IU concept art on Twitter for some alternates as well. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, JimmerNoe said:

How does everyone feel about a few alternate jerseys? Usually pretty polarizing because people love the tradition (won’t get into names on the back), but I like the idea of seeing a few games per year in something different. The new white jersey Justin Taylor is wearing in his photo shoot look awesome in my opinion! It may be a small factor, but I think kids probably get excited about new/different unis. The “City” edition NBA jerseys have produced some really awesome looks. I think I’ve seen some IU concept art on Twitter for some alternates as well. Thoughts?

I'm all for it, and with players' names on the back.

Script please. Also agree with the logo on the shorts being too large; it shouldn’t take away from the front of the jersey. Also, the stripes for the trim of the shorts is too thick and too spaced. Keep the five stars (and hopefully add more one day).

I wouldn’t even be mad if the front of an alternate simply had the state outline, no letters. Although that is probably a rules thing. I also wouldn’t be mad about a gray or black alternate. The script Indiana on their black practice gear =

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

8 hours ago, HoosierDYT said:

I can’t speak for everyone but if I was a recruit I’d want my name on the back of my jersey, especially with the upcoming NIL rules

As a normal BBall player, I can see your point. But at IU I hope Woody continues to add TEAM players. Not guys looking for recognition. If the team succeeds, everybody gets recognition. (some more than others)

From a business perspective, if I want to "hire" (thru NIL) an IU player, I'm going for a guy some facial recognition sure, but much more interested in charisma and a well spoken presence...like Tamar, Anthony, Kristian, and oh...maybe TJD. (and I'm sure others too).

Now for IU supporters who want to "game the system" to get money to the players in a somewhat legal way, names on the jerseys don't mean anything.

Just my 2¢.

59 minutes ago, DWB said:

As a normal BBall player, I can see your point. But at IU I hope Woody continues to add TEAM players. Not guys looking for recognition. If the team succeeds, everybody gets recognition. (some more than others)

A counterpoint would be that you can absolutely still recruit team first players while having names on jerseys. Every NCAA champion going back to before every single current college basketball player was born had names on the back of their jerseys. (I’m not sure if this is entirely true but if it’s not it’s very close :-)…)

1 hour ago, DWB said:

But at IU I hope Woody continues to add TEAM players. Not guys looking for recognition. If the team succeeds, everybody gets recognition. (some more than others)

It’s not 1950 anymore. Guys want recognition. They want to get to the NBA because this is their career for them. They want to make it to the highest level of their profession, and they want to establish a fan base because that can help make them millions of dollars. And there isn’t anything wrong with that. “TEAM” players and guys who want recognition aren’t mutually exclusive, we’ve had plenty of guys in the past who wanted both and it worked out just fine. 

Take Tamar Bates, for example. From social media I can tell that he and his family want recognition for Tamar. They want Tamar Bates to be a name every college basketball fan knows. But there’s nothing I’ve seen from any of them to suggest that he isn’t a “team” guy. 

To those of you that have purchased jerseys in the past, is there a player whose jersey you’d specifically want? Not myself, but I can imagine someone wanting an Oladipo jersey or a Yogi jersey rather than just the number. I think with the NIL players would get a share of jersey sales but doubt they could if the name isn’t attached.

12 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I'm an old person. I don't care either way. I just want them to win more and consistently.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'm with you on this one.

Just win,with or without names on jerseys.They can even sport the dreaded mullet.

17 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

First, probably 98% of college sports teams have player names on the back of the jerseys.  So I would argue the "infatuation" is with those who don't want them on.

I am one of the "old guys."  I am 55 and have a son who may within a year or two be a recruited athlete.  I'm not sure how Indiana would convince him they are at the forefront of NIL while also telling him his name won't even be allowed on the back of his jersey.

Look, I understand the "tradition" of not having player names on jerseys.  But I would argue that the "tradition" was actually just a coaching tool of one coach.  Other coaches have different coaching tools.  For example, Terry Hoeppner's coaching tool was to put names on the jerseys because "you play for the name on the front of the jersey and you are accountable for the name on the back."

I just think with all the changes coming, for the good of the program as a whole, it's time to rethink this outdated "tradition."

Infatuation is those wanting it to change. I don't think about it at all, until someone doesn't find it "good enough". They, on the other hand, are thinking about it.

Your point makes sense. Was just addressing that comment.

Good luck to your son.

There is absolutely NO question that, win or lose, Woody will be mindful of and fully embrace tradition.

While doing so, he should also embrace change that will be attractive to players and new era fans.

So, something like RMK, Buckner, or Whitman modeling a ‘now and then special edition’ modern jersey would be nice.