Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - PG Jeremy Fears to Michigan State

When people say recruiting is fluid here is your example.   At one time Fears was near the top of IU’s hot board.   Over time the staff decided to back off and focus on other targets.  At this time many IU fans and Illinois fans scoffed at this and said no way IU would back off.  Shooting concerns and some other stuff were reported as to why IU moved on.   Months later with Illinois in the drivers seat Illinois insiders started to report that Illinois was backing off due to some concerns( crazy how that works).   Their insider said shooting and a helicopter dad was the reason.  Sparty wasn’t even mentioned early on that much.    I don’t know how he will end up at Sparty or if it was a good idea for these 2 B1G teams to move on from a highly rated prospect but they did.   Next time you hear someone say recruiting is fluid don’t brush it off.  Recruiting is always fluid 

It’s particularly fluid when highest bidder principles come into play. I don’t have any evidence of this regarding Fears but based on LA LU and his recruit ranking he carries pull. A lot of this fluidity is back room deals. Kid is clearly talented and Michigan State has a great track record on the court with kids that are challenging for 1 reason or another. Between Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, and Purdue lately we better up our game and/or coaching.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

10 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It’s particularly fluid when highest bidder principles come into play. I don’t have any evidence of this regarding Fears but based on LA LU and his recruit ranking he carries pull. A lot of this fluidity is back room deals. Kid is clearly talented and Michigan State has a great track record on the court with kids that are challenging for 1 reason or another. Between Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, and Purdue lately we better up our game and/or coaching.

If that was the case then the professionals would of gotten involved and they didn’t.  Could be a case where the staff went in a different direction like was reported early.  Some IU fans and Illinois fans and their insiders laughed and said no way this would happen.  Months later Illinois staff saw the same thing and chose not to proceed.  Which the Irony of their board insiders backtracking is pretty funny in this case 

If that was the case then the professionals would of gotten involved and they didn’t.  Could be a case where the staff went in a different direction like was reported early.  Some IU fans and Illinois fans and their insiders laughed and said no way this would happen.  Months later Illinois staff saw the same thing and chose not to proceed.  Which the Irony of their board insiders backtracking is pretty funny in this case 

You don’t think Michigan State/LaLu are “professionals?

31 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It seems the signing of JHS, would be a pretty good example of "upping our game"! 

With how important the pg position in college is, I believe he may end up being CMW's most prized recruit. He's the real deal.

Or maybe we just outbid everyone for his commitment. 

So for you IU wanted Fears but just didn’t bid enough to get him?   It couldn’t be because the staff went in a different direction?

You can’t always get 2 Ferraris for a 1 car garage. Or in Indiana’s case, 2 Infiniti’s. I do believe the staff chose to go in a different direction or Fears indicated to them they should, whatever the case may be.

My general point, that happens to be in a Fears thread is about recruiting Fluidity and how market value and last minute “offers” can add a lot to that fluidity (in general). Not necessarily with Fears although LaLU and Michigan State seem to have some sort of a pipeline going and familiarity, and although MSU isn’t Duke/Kansas/UK they also aren’t recruiting like Northwestern or Boston College.

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

You can’t always get 2 Ferraris for a 1 car garage. Or in Indiana’s case, 2 Infiniti’s. I do believe the staff chose to go in a different direction or Fears indicated to them they should, whatever the case may be.

My general point, that happens to be in a Fears thread is about recruiting Fluidity and how market value and last minute “offers” can add a lot to that fluidity (in general). Not necessarily with Fears although LaLU and Michigan State seem to have some sort of a pipeline going and familiarity, and although MSU isn’t Duke/Kansas/UK they also aren’t recruiting like Northwestern or Boston College.

My point was the B1G struggles to bring in high rated 5 stars.  Spartys recruiting nationally hasn’t been strong for a while. I personally don’t see them on the same level as the SEC programs that I was referring to when I called them professionals.  B1G is way behind in my opinion 

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Maybe. That was a good sign. Let’s lay some NIL down for a dominant big now.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Agree