Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

Bloomington Food Choices

14 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Highly overpriced, but Orbit Room is a total hidden gem!

It looks like a cool place from the pictures. I'm guessing I would feel out of place in there but would love to try it

Mother Bears can’t be plain cheese. You need to load it up to get anything good from there. I’m not surprised he thought it was fancy Domino’s if he only tests on plain slices.

Rockets Pizza on College was always good for post-bar pizza; better than getting Pizza X(press) delivered. I used to go to Butch’s for slices because it was the closest thing to east coast pizza, but it wasn’t great. Something about the cheese was a little off.

It looks like King Dough didn’t make it in Bloomington, but there’s still one up in Indy. That was really good thin crust. 

I graduated from IU 30 years ago (damn, I'm old!), so I have no idea what's still around from back then. 

My last summer there, my girlfriend and I walked to the Trojan Horse 3-4 times a week for lunch. I LOVE Greek food. 

Can't remember many of the pizza joints -- seems as if there was a place named Pizza Xpress (or something like that) that we always got when I lived in the dorm. Thought Mother Bears was OK -- didn't knock my socks off. 

There was a sandwich shop -- Dagwood's, maybe? -- where I'd always get a turkey salad on an onion bagel. Man, that was so good. 

Was a coffee shop -- I wanna say it was the Daily Grind. Bought a thermal mug with a lid for 5 or 6 bucks from there -- after that, you could get a refill for 50 or 60 cents. Good coffee. 

There was a snack shop in the Memorial Union -- we'd go there about 3-4 times a week for fresh popcorn. Had just about every topping you could imagine. I usually got parmesan or cheddar cheese. 

For a while, I worked at a place called J. Arthur's. One side was a bar/grill with music, dancing and sports on TV. The other side was more for fine dining -- though it was still casual. Their food was pretty good. Pretty sure that's no longer around. On any Friday or Saturday night -- particularly during football season -- the place was packed. 

And of course, there's Nick's. 

Those are the places I remember the most! 

I’m similar. Graduated in 2003.

I was a full scholarship student with a very limited budget. I worked in the kitchen at several sororities as a “meal job”. We could get breakfast, lunch, and dinner there.

When we ate out or ordered in, it was La Charreada, Dagwood’s, Avers, Pizza Xpress, Dragon Express, Subway on 3rd?, Mother Bears some and that was about it.

Little Zagreb’s on special occasions.

Spent lots of time at the Bluebird, Nicks and Sports. Less time at Killroys. And even less time at Uncle Fester’s.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Used to love Pancho’s and Double’s on College- they delivered and was pretty affordable. I was told that Pancho’s was the first Mexican restaurant in Bloomington. The owner Danny was quite the character

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I visited the Tao a lot while I was in grad school in 1976. I had my 3  year old daughter with me and she loved their grilled cheese sandwiches. It was also the only place I could get sassafrass  tea. Noble Romans was probably the only pizza place I went to back then.

23 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

I graduated from IU 30 years ago (damn, I'm old!), so I have no idea what's still around from back then. 

My last summer there, my girlfriend and I walked to the Trojan Horse 3-4 times a week for lunch. I LOVE Greek food. 

Can't remember many of the pizza joints -- seems as if there was a place named Pizza Xpress (or something like that) that we always got when I lived in the dorm. Thought Mother Bears was OK -- didn't knock my socks off. 

There was a sandwich shop -- Dagwood's, maybe? -- where I'd always get a turkey salad on an onion bagel. Man, that was so good. 

Was a coffee shop -- I wanna say it was the Daily Grind. Bought a thermal mug with a lid for 5 or 6 bucks from there -- after that, you could get a refill for 50 or 60 cents. Good coffee. 

There was a snack shop in the Memorial Union -- we'd go there about 3-4 times a week for fresh popcorn. Had just about every topping you could imagine. I usually got parmesan or cheddar cheese. 

For a while, I worked at a place called J. Arthur's. One side was a bar/grill with music, dancing and sports on TV. The other side was more for fine dining -- though it was still casual. Their food was pretty good. Pretty sure that's no longer around. On any Friday or Saturday night -- particularly during football season -- the place was packed. 

And of course, there's Nick's. 

Those are the places I remember the most! 

I was '87 grad/ Great memories here. J Arthurs was great. Suicide Express-Pizza express and Dagwoods footlongs were great. I miss stumbling into Bruce's cafe at 3 AM after the bars closed. First time this Ohio kid ever had biscuits and gravy. Ye Olde Regulator was a decent bar and dime beers at The Blue bird on Wednesday nights was always packed. Also we would hit the Peanut Barrel on Fridays for $2.50 all the beer you could pour in. Hooligans used to have $2.50 long island pitchers on thursday nights. It was in the spot where Kilroys is now. I'm surprised I even survived the 80's.

2 hours ago, upperarlington said:

I was '87 grad/ Great memories here. J Arthurs was great. Suicide Express-Pizza express and Dagwoods footlongs were great. I miss stumbling into Bruce's cafe at 3 AM after the bars closed. First time this Ohio kid ever had biscuits and gravy. Ye Olde Regulator was a decent bar and dime beers at The Blue bird on Wednesday nights was always packed. Also we would hit the Peanut Barrel on Fridays for $2.50 all the beer you could pour in. Hooligans used to have $2.50 long island pitchers on thursday nights. It was in the spot where Kilroys is now. I'm surprised I even survived the 80's.

No Big Wheel or Taco John’s?!?

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

There was a place -- I think it was Big Wheel -- that had all you can eat fried chicken one night a week (Mondays?). 

Went there a few times. My roommate played high school football -- pretty big guy -- and I think they started getting scared when they saw us come in! 

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

i worked at Taco Johns one semester when IU said I "should take some time off." Big Wheel was a classic. Forgot about Bandidos by College Mall for their happy hour as well. Crappy margaritas. 2 hours of a stomach ache and no buzz.

23 minutes ago, upperarlington said:

i worked at Taco Johns one semester when IU said I "should take some time off." Big Wheel was a classic. Forgot about Bandidos by College Mall for their happy hour as well. Crappy margaritas. 2 hours of a stomach ache and no buzz.

Bear’s Place happy hour Long Island ice teas.

That was the cheapest way to get happy I remember