Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IU Baseball vs Illinois - 5/18/21 @ 3:00 on BTN+

Horrific start. In first we faced a pitcher who literally has walked everyone he has faced. Ashley worked a good at bat and grounded out. No problem there. Also Barr and Fougerousse drew walks which was fine. Problem is both Richardson and Colopy ruined the inning by swinging at strikes not even close to the zone or we would of probably chased the guy and walked in with runs as has happened to him all year.

Than in top 2nd Illinois doubled down the line which was earned, but Houston made a horrible error or we would of been out of inning scoreless. Intead Illinois gets a run to lead 2-0. Illini can hit very well. Problem is they can't pitch at all unless we hand them strikeouts as we did last inning. 

Plenty of time to make that up against this Illinois staff, but have to be patient in EVERY at bat not just 3 of 5 hitters in an inning. 

To Bottom 2 and team is punting their season for no reason. 

We are in a very brief rain delay now as a quick shower passes but we are back now after about a 3 min delay.

Again Fucci pops up first pitch. Then we get a four pitch walk. If we would stop swinging we would walk runs right in. But its only every other batter being patient which is huge difference and its killing us.

Houston works a fine at bat and singles. Again every other hitter being patient instead of everyone and its killing us against a pitcher with zero control.

Ashley flies out. Not a terrible at bat by him but Espalin and Fucci ruined the inning earlier. We are letting a horrible pitcher off the hook with an impatient approach by every other hitter. One hitter is doing fine and working count beautifully and then the next is swinging at pitches out of zone. Need EVERY single hitter to be patient against a guy with no control. Not every other one. 

Bothwell works out of some trouble but overall has been good. Not his fault Houston botched an out. Also as I said Illinois can hit very wel.

Illinois changes pitcher to another guy with a very high (8.18 ERA). This guy has a lot less walks so just gives up a lot of hard contact presumably. Let's see what we can do.

Richardson strikes out on a pitch in the dirt. Second straight game our hitters look befuddled. I get it Sunday given the profile of the pitcher you faced (off speed lefty) who was just on. Zero excuse today. Zero. Team needs to explain why bad pitchers are befuddling them and why some at bats are so impatient.

Now Barr pops up a 3-1 pitch on the IF. The plate approach today by this lineup against this pitching is by far worst I have seen this year. Its despicable.

Finally on the board. Fougerousse dump a single into LF then Colopy doubles to the LF wall. Colopy has been the one guy last two games who has hit very well. 2-1.

Today shows why Fucci and Houston don't play as much. Both do the exact mistakes as Fougerousse and  Espalin as seniors, while the freshmen will fix this and be good players long term.

Its 2-1 after 3. Richardson and Barr still messed up at bats that inning.

Also Mudungo into pitch. Assuming Mercer wants 3 innings each from Bothwell, Mudungo and Tucker so they all are available next weekend and then one of them can start Monday again next week. 

Houston with a great sac bunt. He was actually safe at first but ump called him out and I know why. Its not something I feel comfortable sharing on here, but it has to do with the particular umpire and philosophy on how he calls things and he consistent with everything in that.

Second and Third one out and Illinois goes to Grant Leader. I believe this is the guy who dropped a bunt and then threw it into cf on same play on a little league type play last game against Illini.

Either way he has not been good either and given up tons of contact. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Absolutely awful call at 1B. 

Like I said DM me and I will explain it to you. It was wrong call but there is a reason for it.

Mudungo cruising. Halfway home. Hopefully as we get deeper into their pitching we can pull away.  We still have good arms in pen. They don't.

Concern for us is Litwicki and Sommer who have both struggled lately and need to be better. Everyone else has been very good knock on wood.

Leader befuddles us somehow and strikes out side. We hit him fine last time, but just mistiming his fast balls today which sums up a real struggle at the plate we should not be having against these level of pitchers. 2-2 to 6th.