Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

Michael Durr to Indiana (South Florida Transfer)

8 minutes ago, DWB said:

Just based on these general principals of the 41, it is everything we weren't for the last 4 years...

4-Out 1-In Motion General Rules

1. Keep Great Spacing – This is the most important rule of the offense. Perimeter players should always be about 18 feet away from each other.

2. Cut With a Purpose on Every Cut – Players must look like they’re going to receive the basketball on every cut towards the hoop. This involves showing target hands and calling for the basketball.

3. Never Pass and Stand – After a perimeter player makes a pass, they should never stay in the same place. What action they make will depend on what progression you’re up to and the actions you choose to use.

4. Watch the Cutters! – I’m not a fan of players holding the basketball for too long, but since this offense relies so much on cutters and off-ball screens, it’s important that the player with the basketball see the cutters and is ready to make the pass if it’s open.

5. Always Catch Looking to Shoot – Players must keep the defense honest throughout the entire possession. Always catch the basketball ready to shoot if the defense isn’t quick enough.

6. No Excess Dribbling – Don’t allow players to catch and put the basketball on the floor without thinking. Save the dribble. Only dribble when penetrating to the rim, using an on-ball screen, or improving a passing angle.

I don't think we'll be screaming at the TVs this fall about a scorer standing in the corner waiting for the ball to "maybe" come his way, or a guard dribbling the logo off the ball at the top of the key.

From the same article I posted, and specifically on 5/post options

"How to Use the Post Player
1. Post player must stay on the weak side but can flash to the post (Recommended)

2. Post player must always stay on the weak side the entire possession.

3. Post player must always stay on one side of the floor the entire possession.

4. Post player always stays in front of the basketball"

I'm sure there are more nuances and Woodson likely has his own formula, but guessing we'll likely employ #1.

7 hours ago, Southside said:

Probably, but the discussion was stemming from comments about Durr and TJD playing at the same time. If they both are on the floor, doubt Durr will be the 4. Also comments on the topic of TJD's translation to the NBA, which likely won't happen so long as he's playing solely a 5.

Well they won’t play together more than a handful of minutes throughout the season. As for TJD being the 5 he won’t stay in the dunkers spot the entire time. The dunkers spot is referring to the weak side block. There will be plenty of sets and movements that allow him to space to the perimeter and do other things besides standing on then block. Thompson, Geronimo, and Kopp will be the 4’s 95% of the time. 

10 hours ago, Southside said:

Not sure I would really call a 41 O a two post offense. 

I'm no expert on the 41, but I've read a decent amount on it. 

Here's a basic article on the scheme if you're interested.

https://www.basketballforcoaches.com/4-out-1-in-offense/

What? 

I've coached a 4 out 1 in offense for 3 years now. Labeling positions is honestly archaic. 2 wings wide, one post goes strong block in transition (TJD) and works back to being on the weak side or ball screening for the majority of the possession in the half court. Durr, Kopp, Thompson, Geronimo trail. 

31 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What? 

I've coached a 4 out 1 in offense for 3 years now. Labeling positions is honestly archaic. 2 wings wide, one post goes strong block in transition (TJD) and works back to being on the weak side or ball screening for the majority of the possession in the half court. Durr, Kopp, Thompson, Geronimo trail. 

Correct because in 4-1 you have 2 slots, 2 wings, and a post. Labeling positions is more for the sets that go on outside of the base offense, any transition offense, or motion entries that the team runs. 

Correct because in 4-1 you have 2 slots, 2 wings, and a post. Labeling positions is more for the sets that go on outside of the base offense, any transition offense, or motion entries that the team runs. 

Labeling 1-5 helps for defensive purposes in man to man. Less important on offense. Guards, Wings, Bigs. Then you have guys like Geronimo that might be able to guard 1-5 against some teams.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Labeling 1-5 helps for defensive purposes in man to man. Less important on offense. Guards, Wings, Bigs. Then you have guys like Geronimo that might be able to guard 1-5 against some teams.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app
Offensively i could see having bates or Stewart in the post because they may have a size advantage like he would have had Melo. Doesn't have to be a big. I'm sure there will be times TDJ and Durr will be outside and a guard will be in the post

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, maharkn said:

Offensively i could see having bates or Stewart in the post because they may have a size advantage like he would have had Melo. Doesn't have to be a big. I'm sure there will be times TDJ and Durr will be outside and a guard will be in the post

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Insert Nova with Brunson. Loved it. 

On 5/23/2021 at 9:48 AM, ap2345 said:

Well they won’t play together more than a handful of minutes throughout the season. As for TJD being the 5 he won’t stay in the dunkers spot the entire time. The dunkers spot is referring to the weak side block. There will be plenty of sets and movements that allow him to space to the perimeter and do other things besides standing on then block. Thompson, Geronimo, and Kopp will be the 4’s 95% of the time. 

Durr has other ideas:  “We’re definitely playing together,” Durr told The Daily Hoosier on the day his transfer was announced.

43 minutes ago, hermanbgoode said:

It seems possible that he has discussed this situation with the guy who will be making these decisions more than you have. 

I would agree but I also know it’s easy for a coach to say that before he’s ever seen them practice on a court together. I don’t care one way or the other as long as it’s effective and it leads to wins. 

Any update on Durr? Hes the only one not participating in HH contests and was left out of media day interviews. Injuries still lingering? Just sort of confused because from TJD media presence it sounds like hes practicing vs him. Just curious about him in general 

31 minutes ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Any update on Durr? Hes the only one not participating in HH contests and was left out of media day interviews. Injuries still lingering? Just sort of confused because from TJD media presence it sounds like hes practicing vs him. Just curious about him in general 

He was not left out of the media day interviews. After Woody multiple players came up on stage at the same time for roughly 10 minute segments. Durr’s segment was with X Johnson and Duncomb and Durr was asked a number of questions.  It was clear he is expecting/hoping for more than 5 minutes a game.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

I saw him doing interviews on media day