Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

Michael Durr to Indiana (South Florida Transfer)

It's fun for us to speculate about where guys will play and what their role will be. I really think that CMW is going to push players out of their comfort zone and expand what they do. I expect to see a lot of growth take place as the year goes on. After a summer and fall of work, Durr may surprise us. He may also allow TJD to spend more time out of the paint to show off his expanded game. AND, if CMW has anything to say about it, TJD will have an expanded game.

Surprised we got him. I personally love it. Every team needs frontcourt depth. So far IU has TJD, Race, Durr, and Duncomb. Geronimo will see time at the 4. Kopp at times too. I don't think Michael will play the same role he had at USF. I'm thinking he will be the first big man off the bench, around 15 MPG. Really interested in seeing Race's role. He is the wild card to me. I'm not sure what his role will be. 

It seemed with the past few years, a physical team always got the best of us.  With this roster, I don't see any team pushing us around.  Being able to hold our ground and finish those close games are a difference maker when trying to get in the NCAA's.  I can only believe that we will be able to play downhill with some physicality.

It's time for some payback boys!!!

21 minutes ago, Trish said:

I didn't realize Jordan was only 6'6, he looks like he's 6'8".

Nonetheless, I would run him at small ball center at times. We have an NBA coach wanting to play an NBA style. Luke won't be ready, we have no idea about this new guy. 

Jordan and four guards around him that could shoot would be fun to watch imo. 

But we have no need with what we have. Geronimo will play the 3-4 along with Kopp. 

Brunk is the better player. I’m not as big on this one. I’d rather have Hunter and Brunk than Durr. I think it’s as much about having a scholarship open up in a couple years than anything. He’s a banger so that’s good..

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Tweets from Tyler Tachman -

Just spoke with Michael Durr. He says growing up in Atlanta, he watched Mike Woodson coach the Hawks. Now, he’ll be playing for Woodson. “He cares about what you’re going to do on and off of the court. He cares about what’s going to happen once you leave this university.”

“The tradition there and the history. I just wanted to be a part of something like that.” --  

Durr said Kenya Hunter and Yasir Rosemond were also key in his decision. Hunter was familiar with Durr’s game because he coached at UConn, which is in the same conference as USF. Durr knew Rosemond from when he coached at Georgia. “It was great just reconnecting.”

Full Q and A with Durr --  https://www.insidethehall.com/2021/05/17/q-a-michael-durr-discusses-his-decision-to-commit-to-indiana/

42 minutes ago, Trish said:

I didn't realize Jordan was only 6'6, he looks like he's 6'8".

Nonetheless, I would run him at small ball center at times. We have an NBA coach wanting to play an NBA style. Luke won't be ready, we have no idea about this new guy. 

Jordan and four guards around him that could shoot would be fun to watch imo. 

I would rather use Race as a small ball center. Geronimo showed some flashes last year but I need to see more of him before I have an opinion on him. I know a lot of people are high on him but I'm not as sure... at least for this upcoming season. 

I’m not a scout but his coordination and athleticism are impressive for his size. As @brumdog45 pointed out, AAC is a serious basketball conference. He’s a nice fit; clear role this year he’s capable of succeeding in, a desire for the bright lights of IU, and an opportunity for more the following year.

41 minutes ago, HoosierCoop said:

It seemed with the past few years, a physical team always got the best of us.  With this roster, I don't see any team pushing us around.  Being able to hold our ground and finish those close games are a difference maker when trying to get in the NCAA's.  I can only believe that we will be able to play downhill with some physicality.

It's time for some payback boys!!!

How about a frontcourt of Geronimo, Thompson and Durr? I don't expect that to happen a lot but definitely wouldn't get pushed around!

Woodson wasn't my first (or 2nd or 3rd) choice, but he seems to have a clear vision for what he wants and has done an impressive job of molding the roster and staff to what he (presumably) wants. That is more than can be said for the last 2 coaches. 

How about a frontcourt of Geronimo, Thompson and Durr? I don't expect that to happen a lot but definitely wouldn't get pushed around!

Woodson wasn't my first (or 2nd or 3rd) choice, but he seems to have a clear vision for what he wants and has done an impressive job of molding the roster and staff to what he (presumably) wants. That is more than can be said for the last 2 coaches. 

I like the idea that IU can have some real size and bang underneath in spot minutes against the bigger teams. Durr and Race could be difference makers together for short periods.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

36 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I have to sit here and wonder though that this pick may have a touch of Matta behind it.  He knows the B1G and what it takes to win in this conference.  Others have said it in this thread that he is the piece they need to bang with the goons in this conference and this one might have came from the front office.

Agree with others that this is for the Dickinson and Edey types of the BIG, as well as a good practice guy for TJD/Race/Duncomb to go against. I like that he’ll have 2 years because I think we’ll be without both TJD and Race after this year. He’s a lot bigger and a better rebounder/shot blocker than Brunk, so definitely an upgrade there. What I don’t get is what he sees personally as a fit here. He was playing starter minutes at USF and he’ll likely get 10 minutes tops here. Doesn’t make much sense to me but I’ll take him if he buys in
Maybe he is fine with lesser minutes knowing he will possibly get starter minutes next year and being coached by someone who was in the NBA.
I don't know the answer, but I can see that scenario.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It appears his perspective is the opportunity to play for a historical basketball program with a big fanbase and an intense game feel.  Also, he likes Woodson and knows that Woodson will be interested in his success post basketball.  This all sounds great.  Probably knows role is diminished, but who knows, play great and increase role.  
You said it better than I did

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk