Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Southside

Poll: Way Way Early 2021/2022 Depth Chart Prediction

Poll: Way Way Early 2021/2022 Depth Chart Prediction  

64 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Starting Point Guard

2. 2. Depth Point Guard (first PG off the bench)

3. 3. Starting Wing A (the one you are most confident in being one of two wings)

4. 4. Starting Wing B (the one you are second most confident in being one of two wings)

5. 5. Depth Wing (first Wing off the bench)

6. 6. Starting 4/PF

7. 7. Depth 4/PF (first PF off the bench)

8. 8. Starting "In" or 5

9. 9. Depth "In" or 5 (first one off the bench)

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/01/2021 at 12:28 AM

Saw some discussion last week, so thought a poll might be fun.

I know some will disagree with some guys in some stacks or multiple stacks, but wanted to over-include options instead of some saying "well, that guy could possibly be a XXX"

And I know we'll likely have different lineups vs certain teams, but just keep it simple lol... 

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I think polling with so many options is a great idea.

The good news is that we will have so many options and combinations, it's almost impossible to nail it down.

I went with the most frequent one 

Lander - Johnson - Stewart - Kopp - TJD

Phin, Bates, Thompson, and Thompson again as depth. Basically TJD/Kopp/Thompson as a 3 man rotation at 4 and 5.

The one I like also is 

Johnson - Stewart - Bates - Kopp - TJD

Might be the best scoring line up

I did mine as the lineup I think we will see by the time Big 10 season gets here. 

Johnson/Bates/Stewart/Kopp/TJD

Lander first pg off bench, Hunter first wing off bench, Thompson first 4 off bench. 

I think those will be our top 8 guys come conference season. Lander instead of Phinisee is probably controversial, but I'm low on Phinisee. Through 3 seasons he's been pretty much the same player throughout. In 86 games he has shot 36% from the field, 29.8% from 3, and 67.5% from the line. He was a big reason for our guard struggles last year. I expect Lander to show us why he was the top pg in his class before he reclassified. He'll have a full offseason this year as well as a coach whose offensive system fits his game. 

Thompson could get the nod at the starting 4, but I like Kopp there because of his ability to stretch the floor.

That starting lineup has 3 guys you can't leave open behind the arc. It also has three guys who have shot 76%, 78%, and 85% from the free throw line in college, as well as Bates who shot 88% from the line in high school. 

40 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I did mine as the lineup I think we will see by the time Big 10 season gets here. 

Johnson/Bates/Stewart/Kopp/TJD

Lander first pg off bench, Hunter first wing off bench, Thompson first 4 off bench. 

I think those will be our top 8 guys come conference season. Lander instead of Phinisee is probably controversial, but I'm low on Phinisee. Through 3 seasons he's been pretty much the same player throughout. In 86 games he has shot 36% from the field, 29.8% from 3, and 67.5% from the line. He was a big reason for our guard struggles last year. I expect Lander to show us why he was the top pg in his class before he reclassified. He'll have a full offseason this year as well as a coach whose offensive system fits his game. 

Thompson could get the nod at the starting 4, but I like Kopp there because of his ability to stretch the floor.

That starting lineup has 3 guys you can't leave open behind the arc. It also has three guys who have shot 76%, 78%, and 85% from the free throw line in college, as well as Bates who shot 88% from the line in high school. 

I'm pretty torn on several areas.

At point, I really wonder if if Woodson will prioritize driving and ball handling over shooting. I can really envision any of the 3 starting at point. My gut though says Lander will get the start because A) they want Johnson playing as a drive/shooting capable wing that can be a second ball handler on the floor at the same time as the primary PG, and B) I think Lander might be the best combo option for handle/drive/dish, and more or less be a hyper active engine.

We all know TJD will be 5. So that gives me 1, 2, and 5..... 3 and 4 are hard for me. I'm not sure what Woodson wants at 4 yet, and can see Kopp or Thompson there. I can see Kopp at 3 or 4 lol... I think I like the idea of TJD/Kopp/Thompson as being more or less the rotation at 4 and 5, with Thompson bouncing back and forth. So that leaves me with 3. Now I don't know if Parker holds off Bates lol...

All in all, such a better feeling about depth and possibility than last season.

2 minutes ago, Southside said:

I'm pretty torn on several areas.

At point, I really wonder if if Woodson will prioritize driving and ball handling over shooting. I can really envision any of the 3 starting at point. My gut though says Lander will get the start because A) they want Johnson playing as a drive/shooting capable wing that can be a second ball handler on the floor at the same time as the primary PG, and B) I think Lander might be the best combo option for handle/drive/dish, and more or less be a hyper active engine.

We all know TJD will be 5. So that gives me 1, 2, and 5..... 3 and 4 are hard for me. I'm not sure what Woodson wants at 4 yet, and can see Kopp or Thompson there. I can see Kopp at 3 or 4 lol... I think I like the idea of TJD/Kopp/Thompson as being more or less the rotation at 4 and 5, with Thompson bouncing back and forth. So that leaves me with 3. Now I don't know if Parker holds off Bates lol...

All in all, such a better feeling about depth and possibility than last season.

I could definitely see Lander starting. I think Bates/Lander/Stewart/Johnson will be competing for the three 1-3 spots by the time we get to conference play.

I originally imagined Kopp starting at the 4, but the more I think about it I’ve changed my mind.  I think we’d struggle tremendously at rebounding.  

I’m now thinking, and voted, the following.  
PG - Xavier Johnson, SG - Parker Stewart, Wing - Miller Kopp, PF - Race Thompson (assuming can shoot at 30+% from three), and C - Trayce Jackson-Davis.  

Edited by cchuntsman

I originally imagined Kopp starting at the 4, but the more I think about it I’ve changed my mind.  I think we’d struggle tremendously at rebounding.  

PG - Xavier Johnson, SG - Parker Stewart, Wing - Miller Kopp, PF - Race Thompson (assuming can shoot at 30+% from three), and C - Trayce Jackson-Davis.  

That’s my guess on who starts as well.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

There’s a piece up on ITH now with Fife talking a lot about Rob, how he doesn’t see a better defender in the B1G, how he sees an easy fix to his shot noting how many shots Rob took moving laterally, and being there for kick outs with feet set. That sounds like a starter, and thing is the poll has him only as a point, but Woody is looking to have a different guy bring the ball up repeatedly and Rob can play well off ball and bring it up - I see him as starting.
I’m hoping Lander is ready to start as primary ball handler or at least one of them, there’s no one as quick, and he was the no. 1 ranked point in his class for good reason. 
I think the other starting on ball / primary ball handler will be X, driving and kicking or dishing off to TJD. 
After TJD, I just have no idea at this point. Bates is going to be fantastic, but he hasn’t played a college game yet. Doubt he starts, though maybe by mid season. No one seems to be talking about Hunter but he can spread the floor and I’m hoping he’s close to 100 percent and now in a system and under a motivating, encouraging coach that will let him rip the outside shots. 
Kopp was brought in to knock them down. Race is a better all around player (imo) and if gets the jumper going watch out. Geronimo has monster potential - will he hit from outside with more shots, Guys are brought in on transfer and we focus on them but that kid could kill it this season. Stewart? Can’t tell yet, promise is there. Started to do this poll but gave up lol 

15 hours ago, cchuntsman said:

13 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

That’s my guess on who starts as well.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Same here. Think we’ll see plenty of lineups with four wing/guard types, e.g. X/Stew/Bates/Kopp/TJD. I’m just not sure how many teams really punish you that way. I’m more concerned how a lineup like that guards EJ Liddell at the 4 than how it guards an Aaron Henry type who is less likely to try to post you. 

On 5/6/2021 at 7:26 PM, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I could definitely see Lander starting. I think Bates/Lander/Stewart/Johnson will be competing for the three 1-3 spots by the time we get to conference play.

On 5/6/2021 at 8:11 PM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Stewart is the biggest wild card to me. Is he a legit talent? Is he athletic enough to earn court time. I have him penciled in to start but he could just as easily be a bottom of the depth chart guy.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

On 5/6/2021 at 9:01 PM, cchuntsman said:

To the 3 above,

PG - I could see a case for all 3. Phin when we need D vs certain teams. Lander at times when 1 on D on the other team. XJ when we just need handle+offense from the point.

My big questions....

XJ - Point or Wing, and does Woodson want a second ball handler on the floor.

Kopp - big wing vs weak but good shooting 4. I think he'll flex both ways depending on the opponent.

Bates - is he ready now to make the jump. Total wildcard to me.

Stewart - I think the answers to the above 3 factor a lot on Stewart

At this point, still thinking Lander / XJ / Stewart / Kopp / TJD having the most minutes. I think Race and Bates battle for 6th man minutes, with Race being the 4-5 flex guy.